Project Launch Announcement

My name is Jihan McDonald and I am writing this in the capacity of Project Manager for the Dust Glyphs Project.  To find out what a dust glyph is, though you may already know them by another name, please watch the video located at the bottom of this post.  I realize this may be somewhat nontraditional, but please take the time to read though this post.  I am contacting the NYCfire.net community because it is very important to the members of this project that we offer something unique and special to the FDNY.  This project is dedicated to honoring the experience of the 1st responders at 9/11, the ones who went in both before and after the collapse of the towers to salvage what they could from the wreckage.  We are honored to be able to make a gift of 8" x 10" prints of dust glyphs to any firehouse in New York City if they would like one.  We also appreciate that not everyone wants to be reminded of that time as we all process and heal differently.

The list of firehouses on this site has been pivotal in how we have approached this project as it allowed us to easily connect the dots between what was written in the dust and which stations the dust glyphs referred to.  I'm humbly asking that this information be forwarded throughout your community.  Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you, and many others.  If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Sincerely,
Jihan McDonald
jihan.mcdonald@gmail.com

Dust Glyphs: The 9/11 Book Project
The Dust Glyphs project was officially launched on July 18, 2011. This project is dedicated to honoring the experience of the first responders at 9/11, the ones who went in both before and after the collapse of the towers to salvage what they could from the wreckage.  There is no need to remind anyone of what that date is, what we want to do is invite you to join us as we embark on a journey of discovery, recognition and healing through sharing.

A decade ago, a man just doing his job walked into Ground Zero and saw something more than the horror, the despair and the unthinkable magnitude of the disaster, even more than the courage, the strength and the bravery; he saw human experiences.  Written all along the walls, and especially decorating the bar that held informal wakes nightly for fallen comrades, the 1st responders to the scene wrote messages in the dust and debris.  Messages about loved ones, anger, hope; obituaries and even cartoons adorned the grisly scene.  He took pictures of them, compelled to document them, and then as many of us did with our troubling emotions from that day, we shut them away. 

We are publishing a book of these 'Dust Glyphs' and inviting as many people as possible to contribute to the conversation, to help us answer what we cannot, which is why I've posted this announcement to the NYCfire.net site.  We have only until August 17, 2011 to accomplish our goal so your help is crucial.  Our mission is two-fold:
1) find out who wrote the messages,
2) include their commentary to accompany the photos. 

Neither of these are things we can do on our own.  To help accomplish both goals we've started a Kickstarter campaign and we'd like you to be a part of it.  This project is not for profit and any money received will be re-invested into the project itself.

After 10 years we want to wipe the dust off of our memories and look anew at what these messages might teach us.  We all honor things differently because we come from different places, different backgrounds and different belief systems but most importantly because we all are uniquely different, we are all individuals, what we share is a common experience called humanity.  We are publishing a book of these photographs and inviting as many people as we can into the conversation, no less and no more.  The best ways to support this project are:

1) become backer on Kickstarter,
2) "Like" us on Facebook,
3) send out a Tweet that connects to our Kickstarter project page. 
4) Spread the word!  This is still the most effective way to transmit information. 

To get involved please visit the link in the signature line of this e-mail and watch the project trailer.

We have also started a blog to receive comments and hopefully contacts from people who were there and can provide the necessary context for those of us who weren't to more fully understand not just what happened that day, but in the weeks and months of recovery efforts that followed.  Thank you for taking the time to read this, and we look forward to hearing from you.

- The Dust Glyphs Project Team
Messages in the Dust
Messages in the Dust- project trailer
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/143542777/dust-glyphs-9-11-the-memory-book-project
www.dust-glyphs.blogspot.com

"I am a guy who works at disaster sites and have for over 25 years. I come in behind the first responders long after the danger has passed. I have worked as a recovery worker, a volunteer and as an insurance adjuster.  I passed into the zone at Ground Zero and came out 13-14 hours later a changed person. I could never leave the zone behind. I may have had a round trip ticket back to California but part of my soul, my very humanity never left."  - Jim McGovern

truck4

Administrator
Note: NYCFire.net in no way endorses this project or website, or encourages anyone to contribute to this project. 

Hello FDNY,
I am responding to my original post announcing the launch of the Dust Glyphs Project.  We recognize and accept that NYCfire.net is no way responsible for the content of what I've posted and I've contacted Mike of Truck 4 and received permission to keep our post up.  It was intended less as a solicitation for money from this community and more an alert that the project is happening and a chance to receive input about it.  As we enter week 2 of our Kickstarter campaign I want to reach again, this time for permissions.  The photos we have contain some fairly close up shots of firemen and rescue workers and we do not plan to publish these without consent.  As we haven't gotten any feedback we are making the photos we're interested in using available to this community through the following link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos.  If you recognize yourself or someone else please let us know if you are okay with having the picture published.  We have also recreated our website to make it easier to submit comments. We sincerely hope to hear from you. Thank you.

- Jihan McDonald, Project Manager
www.dustglyphs.com