Purple Heart

On August 7, 1782 C-in-C George Washington authorized a military decoration, "The Badge of Merit". From this decoration came the modern medal, "The Purple Heart". In fact on the rear of the medal, including mine, is inscribed "For Military Merit. In anticipation of the invasion of Japan 500,000 medals were made, however since 1945 that number has not be exceeded. In fact almost 100,000 medals are still with active units for immediate presentation. Since 1932, almost 2 million medals have been presented. And despite what Trump said, most vets did not want to get one!

Hello Grumpy I wanted to take the time to Thank You for your Distinguished service to our Country. I was looking out of my window Yesterday here in NYC and noticed the Empire State building alight in Purple. I looked up the reason why and it was Purple Medal Day. So many have sacrificed for what we have and so many of us show Zero Appreciation. Yesterday we had 7 absent recipients who had lost these Sacred medals. Lots of volunteer research was done and these Medals were returned to the Families of these Men and Women. I just wanted to Mention that like Yourself Senator McCain is also a recipient of quite a few Medals as well including a Purple Heart , Silver Star and Bronze Star along with other Meritorious Medals. Grumpy Again Thank You from Myself and my Family.