Relocations

Would any of the history buffs out there, except Willy D, like to consider the last time the following truck companies from the Bronx were relocated to Brooklyn on the same day: Ladders 49, 42, and 41??  That is besides today, 9/8/10

Perhaps off topic . . . but I didn't see any Fallback announcements on the Staten Island section for the brush fires.  Anybody have any idea what, if any fallbacks were implemented in the various boroughs due to the 5th & 6ths on SI yesterday?

I can remember sending 71 engine to 271 or 216 once. As for your question, Ray, I'm going to take a stab at it, and say it wasn't announced because it was just too busy to announce it. I think it's safe to presume that once the first fire went to a 2nd or 3rd, fallback was in effect. I swung out yesterday morning, but I'm going to take another stab and say Fallback 3 was implemented citywide somewhere along the way.

PS, I've seen some pretty interesting ones over the years. L-151 to 40(when 151 was still a tiller) 140 to 40, 133 to 43(They were halfway to 140 when they got redirected). 41 to 127, then redirected to 151. 65 to 83, 238 to 83. 143 to 54 then up to 38.(I still shake my head over that one, since I was surprised Queens gave them to me) 5 to 92, and they caught a first due job.

In the Nov. 2001 American Airlines plane crash in Belle Harbor there was a Bronx tower ladder working at the fire during it's peak.

It's just a Huge, Massive, operation that goes on 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. I don't know of any place that compares. For those out there that really can't relate to some of those relocations that went on, I've driven from The Bronx to Staten Island, and sometimes its an hour ride. All still within the same city. And you pass miles and miles of populated streets from high rises, to row frames.
  And for a little bit of comparison, the Entire State of Connecticut has a population of about 3 million people. NYC has about 7 million people, give or take a few. The Entire State of Connecticut has Two Area Codes, New York City alone, has Four Area Codes.
  Just no place like it. And for the Firefighters, Dispatchers, Police Officers, and EMS Workers, "they all do a GREAT JOB".

I am seriously amazed at how the SI dispatcher was able to keep up with all the units on Staten Island. There had to be well over 50 engines on SI during the peak of it. Did any Bronx units actually make it into SI?

We do keep a log of who is relocating in, or who has relocated. We also have a summary screen to tell us where everyone is operating. It's not used as much now, but we can also use the manual system status board chips to keep track of units as well.

One of my rules is, after the 3rd alarm, everyone is fair game. NFD, the only place I have seen that compares is Los Angeles County. I buff there pretty regularly. Whereas FDNY picks and chooses who relocates, and we start out the moves upon either transmission of the 10-75, or all hands depending on where the job is, in LACo, the chief on scene states "start moveups". There are specific units that move. One that sticks out is Quint 3. They are in East LA, right by the dispatchers office. They occasionally go to Station 181 in Pomona which is east of LA proper. To put that in NYC terms, it's like sending 8 Truck to relocate to 165 Truck. That's easily 45 minutes without lights and sirens.

When the northern ends of LA County get whacked with a brush fire, it's not uncommon to see units relocating over an hour to get to where they need to be. From West Hollywood to Santa Clarita is easily over an hour without lights and sirens. I hope that gives you an idea of what goes on.

Personal opinion, FDNY should look at some of what LA does for fires like this. Strike Teams. 5 Engines and a BC, who are requested when a brush fire pops up.

FDNY150 said:
One of my rules is, after the 3rd alarm, everyone is fair game. NFD, the only place I have seen that compares is Los Angeles County. I buff there pretty regularly. Whereas FDNY picks and chooses who relocates, and we start out the moves upon either transmission of the 10-75, or all hands depending on where the job is, in LACo, the chief on scene states "start moveups". There are specific units that move. One that sticks out is Quint 3. They are in East LA, right by the dispatchers office. They occasionally go to Station 181 in Pomona which is east of LA proper. To put that in NYC terms, it's like sending 8 Truck to relocate to 165 Truck. That's easily 45 minutes without lights and sirens.

When the northern ends of LA County get whacked with a brush fire, it's not uncommon to see units relocating over an hour to get to where they need to be. From West Hollywood to Santa Clarita is easily over an hour without lights and sirens. I hope that gives you an idea of what goes on.

Personal opinion, FDNY should look at some of what LA does for fires like this. Strike Teams. 5 Engines and a BC, who are requested when a brush fire pops up.

When you relocate do you not do it on Lights & Sirens....even on a 10-20 ??

mack

Administrator
FDNY used to stage and dispatch engine teams for SI brush fires in the late 1960s-1970s (approximate era).

A command post would be set up at E 164.  Units/teams would be dispatched by CP when an alarm was received by SI dispatcher.  Sometimes 2 or 3 engines.  Sometimes 2 or 3 engines with a BC.  System seemed to work OK.

Relocation to/from SI (1973) -Verrazano Narrows bridge without a traffic back up.

Manhattan E 17 relocated to SI for brush:

First Thanks Mack for those photos. I think I remember reading in the FDNY All Units Circular (AUC #160 ??) about staging companies for brush fires. And that goes back a few years.
  I spent some time out in LA City and LA County in 1984. If I remember correctly, certain areas of the City or County were assigned numbers. The numbers represented what companies would respond to the brush fire (similiar to a Box Location). It would take companies from various parts rather than strip an area. Five Engines from completely different areas would respond to the fire and operate as a Brush Fire Strike Team.
  But as the photos that "Mack" has posted, they also show FDNY Engine Companies Staging for Brush Fire Duty. It appears to be around the 1970s as Mack stated. Maybe it wasn't the fancy term of Stike Team, but I would guess it was basically the same concept.

IRISH said:
FDNY150 said:

When you relocate do you not do it on Lights & Sirens....even on a 10-20 ??

What I mean is, I have driven to these areas in a rental car and those times are about how long it took me.