Engine still goes to squad 8.
And If needed
A squad will also go to sq8.

And it prob shouldn’t be 1.

Engine still goes to squad 8.
And If needed
A squad will also go to sq8.

And it prob shouldn’t be 1.
I agree with you. I think Squad 8 is a special case just do to their remote location.

My question is if a squad is relocated to another borough due to no Special Ops units available, do they bringing their Haz-Tech piece? If not, then going to a rescue house leaves them without a 2nd piece. If they go to a squad house, at least there is a chance that a Haz-Tech piece will be in quarters for them to use. After all, they are relocated in order to offer a certain level of Special Ops support.

My understanding is that squads don’t routinely run with their 2nd piece if they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd due to a fire, nor do they take it when responding to a fire as the squad. If this is correct, then the 2nd piece may in fact be there for the covering squad to use!

I agree with you. I think Squad 8 is a special case just do to their remote location.

My question is if a squad is relocated to another borough due to no Special Ops units available, do they bringing their Haz-Tech piece? If not, then going to a rescue house leaves them without a 2nd piece. If they go to a squad house, at least there is a chance that a Haz-Tech piece will be in quarters for them to use. After all, they are relocated in order to offer a certain level of Special Ops support.

My understanding is that squads don’t routinely run with their 2nd piece if they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd due to a fire, nor do they take it when responding to a fire as the squad. If this is correct, then the 2nd piece may in fact be there for the covering squad to use!
the second piece is only taken for haz-mat runs and any SOC run . it remains at the firehouse and if needed someone can transport it to the scene of a indecent requiring it

Understand that the Squad 2nd Piece is half Hazmat and Rescue. They don’t carry as much as the Hazmat Tech Companies but they do carry a decent amount of Hazmat stuff on the main piece, but I can’t speak for all squads as I know Squad 18 took the motor for the zodiac off the 2nd piece and Squad 1 and 252 have it on the their 2nd piece… Squad 41 has been sent to Squad 61 area and had picked up 61 2nd piece up…. From what I understand part of squads to going to squads now is so the squad relocating can take the others 2nd piece for emergency purposes. Squads never acted rescues it was just a good spot to send them but now that every 10-75 gets a Rescue it made more sense to send a squad to a squad…. So it’s not Q041 acting R1 and R4 responding to another fire.

Here's a question. Firstly I am not an expert in this nor am I against the change in policy as having the second piece seems to make sense, this is just something that came to mind. Aren't the rescue company houses a bit more centrally located than the squad houses? If you look at the squad locations, 8, 61, and 270, are all geographically isolated. So let's say R4 and SQ270 get tied up on a job, with the squad-to-squad relation, sending the relocation to 270 changes the coverage versus the more centrally located R4. Somewhat similarly in Manhattan R1's quarters is a more central location than SQ18. Now maybe that's part of the objective is they want the more remote areas to be covered, I have no idea. Curious if any of the many experienced/knowledgeable folks on this site have any thoughts on this.

Understand that the Squad 2nd Piece is half Hazmat and Rescue. They don’t carry as much as the Hazmat Tech Companies but they do carry a decent amount of Hazmat stuff on the main piece, but I can’t speak for all squads as I know Squad 18 took the motor for the zodiac off the 2nd piece and Squad 1 and 252 have it on the their 2nd piece… Squad 41 has been sent to Squad 61 area and had picked up 61 2nd piece up…. From what I understand part of squads to going to squads now is so the squad relocating can take the others 2nd piece for emergency purposes. Squads never acted rescues it was just a good spot to send them but now that every 10-75 gets a Rescue it made more sense to send a squad to a squad…. So it’s not Q041 acting R1 and R4 responding to another fire.
Yeah, what I said! 😂

Here's a question. Firstly I am not an expert in this nor am I against the change in policy as having the second piece seems to make sense, this is just something that came to mind. Aren't the rescue company houses a bit more centrally located than the squad houses? If you look at the squad locations, 8, 61, and 270, are all geographically isolated. So let's say R4 and SQ270 get tied up on a job, with the squad-to-squad relation, sending the relocation to 270 changes the coverage versus the more centrally located R4. Somewhat similarly in Manhattan R1's quarters is a more central location than SQ18. Now maybe that's part of the objective is they want the more remote areas to be covered, I have no idea. Curious if any of the many experienced/knowledgeable folks on this site have any thoughts on this.
I’m not an expert but from my understanding, the FDNY upper echelon wants at least one Special Operations piece (rescue or squad) in each borough available. Being centrally located is optimal, but that’s not the primary objective. Queens, Brooklyn & the Bronx each have 2 squads. If the rescue and a squad get committed at one location, the other squad covers the borough from their own location. Example: R2 & S1 get committed at a fire, then S252 covers the borough from their firehouse (with minor exceptions). If being centrally located were primary, then S252 would be relocated to R2 quarters.

Also, very important, the squad does not replace the rescue. If a call-type requires a rescue then the closest rescue will be dispatched from whichever borough it’s in. A pin-job in the Bronx with S61 & R3 already tied up will get S41 and the next closest rescue (most likely R1 or R4 depending on location).

The original reason they started to relocate a squad to a rescue was so the relocated squad WOULD NOT be used as anything other then for SOC calls and 10-75’s Whats sense does it make to relocate a squad to another squad then have the relocated squad go and sit on a EMS run ,gas leak or a class 3’s. I believe the dispatchers didn’t have the capability to take the relocated off those types of calls . Maybe they do now. Maybe one of the dispatchers on this site can verify, and elaborate on the subject.

Last edited: