Rescue 6

2 questions on Rescue 6

Is it staffed by Rescue Firefighters or Rescue & Squad Firefighters?

And do their helmet shields have a " 6 " on them or do they where their own helmets??

I was under the impression that Rescue 6 was a stop-gap measure. If I am wrong I am sorry if I placed inaccurate info on this site

last time i heard was there rig is used as a spare also if for example rescue 1 goes to the interpid when the president comes they put rescue 6 in place where i come from are rescue combinds of members from other companys and its called a squad  ;)

SoHoTruckin20 said:
last time i heard was there rig is used as a spare also if for example rescue 1 goes to the interpid when the president comes they put rescue 6 in place where i come from are rescue combinds of members from other companys and its called a squad  ;)

R6 rig is usually used as the spare but they are the Rescue Reserve. Usually go into operation during big NYC Events ie. the recent hurricane, UN Meetings etc. Just wondered on the numbers on their lids

I visited Rescue 6 when it was in service at ladder20 in i think 2004. None of the members had a blue insert with a 6. Being a spare and reserve rescue i would have to say no cause its not always staffed.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There is suppose to be spare fronts for use when you get assigned to another company for the day.
Most don't use them.

tbendick said:
There is suppose to be spare fronts for use when you get assigned to another company for the day.
Most don't use them.

But are they really a Company?

jay

I believe they were " activated " when the Republican National Convention was held in NY a few years back. They ran out of the house of 20 Truck in SOHO. As far as I know they are not in service at this time.

R-6 was activated for the RNC in the late summer of 2004. They covered Manhattan from 14th Street south. They had their own shields made up, and they operated with the Spirit of Oklahoma ALF/Frieghtliner, and the Ryder Truck for a Collapse Unit. They were disbanded afterwards. The rig is presently used as a spare rescue. There has only been one other time I can remember R-6 being activated, and that was the day of the Reilly/Carpluk fire on Mount Eden back in 06. I don't think they were in service much longer than a day for that, and don't know where they were operating out of. I want to say Roosevelt Island, but I was on Sick Leave at the time. I have to look, but I think they were also activated for Irene a few weeks ago. Just looked, activated out of E-250.

FDNY150 said:
R-6 was activated for the RNC in the late summer of 2004. They covered Manhattan from 14th Street south. They had their own shields made up, and they operated with the Spirit of Oklahoma ALF/Frieghtliner, and the Ryder Truck for a Collapse Unit. They were disbanded afterwards. The rig is presently used as a spare rescue. There has only been one other time I can remember R-6 being activated, and that was the day of the Reilly/Carpluk fire on Mount Eden back in 06. I don't think they were in service much longer than a day for that, and don't know where they were operating out of. I want to say Roosevelt Island, but I was on Sick Leave at the time. I have to look, but I think they were also activated for Irene a few weeks ago. Just looked, activated out of E-250.

Yeah FDNY 150 they where operating for the Hurricane & im sure i heard them operating in Manhattan a couple of weeks ago for 9/11. Theres a picture on flickr of the Mack Rescue in Manhattan dated on Sept 11th so dunno if they where using that rig. Thanks for the info on the shields

Can anybody confirm that R-6 is currently still assigned the Freightliner rescue?  If so, how much wear-and-tear does this piece generally receive from use when the first line pieces are down (for service, etc.)?

...And finally, once all the new Ferraras are "in service", will a replacement R-6 be ordered and/or reassigned?

-Thanks.

Bulldog

Bulldog
10-3thebox said:
...And finally, once all the new Ferraras are "in service", will a replacement R-6 be ordered and/or reassigned?
I'm sure they will not order a new one for the reserve.  My bet would be that they will probably use the Pierce now signed to Rescue 1, is relatively low mileage and the members really like it.  In the past and they have always used one of the last generation rescues as the reserve, like they do with the engines and trucks!