RET FF DIES ON S. I.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/retired_firefighter_is_staten.html

Retired Firefighter is Staten Island's 20th confirmed Hurricane Sandy-related death

By Staten Island Advance
on November 02, 2012 at 2:19 PM, updated November 02, 2012 at 5:41 PM

[image]

Police confirmed that Rosebank resident George P. O'Regan, a retired city firefighter and Korean war hero, died from conditions caused by Hurricane Sandy on Wednesday.Family photo

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Police confirmed Rosebank resident George P. O'Regan, a retired city firefighter and Korean war hero, died from conditions caused by Hurricane Sandy on Wednesday following a fall in a dark stairway at New Lane Senior Houses.

His death is the 20th Staten Island fatality connected to Hurricane Sandy.

O'Regan, 79, who walked daily, attended mass daily and was in good health, was declared Staten Island's 20th storm-related death.

He suffered a fatal spinal fracture due to blunt impact that happened when he slipped and fell in a wet, dark hallway, according to NYPD spokesman Detective Joseph Cavitolo. Power in the building was out when the former firefighter tripped.

"He fought in the war, he was a firefighter for 34 years, he never would think twice about going into a dark staircase to help people," said his son, George.

"He was trained to do that. He was used to being in staircases in the dark."

"Would he have not fallen if the lights had been on? Nobody knows," his son said, adding, "I think it's sad when anyone dies alone, especially somebody like him who was friends with everybody in the building."

He apparently had just returned from his daily walk and took the stairs because the elevators were out due to a power failure.

Florinda Mattia of Rosebank, the daughter of O'Regan's longtime companion, Jessie Mattia, had spoken to O'Regan on the phone prior to his walk. She became concerned when she couldn't reach him and her mother, who lives in the same building, didn't know where O'Regan was. Florinda Mattia was even more distressed when she saw emergency personnel at New Lane around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when she arrived to check on O'Regan. When a firefighter told her that a man had fallen in the stairwell, she knew instantly that it was O'Regan.

"I saw them wheel him out, that's the image I'm left with," Ms. Mattia said, adding that he had a huge gash in his head.

"He was so vibrant, always on the go. To see him like that I was in disbelief."

His son, George,who lives in Citrus Springs, Fla., said that his father and Jessie were planning to fly to Florida to visit him this Saturday.

O'Regan was a volunteer at New Lane who was known for his helpfulness and generosity toward others.

The borough native was a Port Richmond High School graduate who also was awarded Bronze and Silver Stars while serving as a sergeant major in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict. He also enjoyed reading and completing crossword puzzles, said family.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by the Virginia Funeral Chapel, Dongan Hills.

This report was prepared by Advance reporters John Annese, Maura Grunlund and Mark Stein.
REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

A Great American lost. A War Hero and a retired Firefighter. George O'Regan, Thank you for your service to Our Country and to the people of the City of New York. My Sincere Condolunces to his family and friends.