Shift change question

mack

Administrator
I am guessing that every state has specific laws covering volunteer services. A few that are easy to find for NY cover volunteer firefighters:

Workers' Compensation: Volunteer Firefighter NY CLS Vol Fire Ben 6 Firefighter A volunteer firemen who is injured or killed in the line of duty is entitled to workers' compensation. They will not receive workers' compensation if intoxicated or intended to cause the injury or death.

Workers' Compensation: Volunteer Firefighter NY CLS Vol Fire Ben 16 Firefighter A volunteer firefighter injured in the line of duty is entitled to receive medical, surgical, podiatric, chiropractic, psychological, and other treatment. The political subdivision the firefighter was volunteering with is responsible for the expenses of such treatment.

Laws probably exist relating to benefits and protections for career (paid) firefighters, EMTs/Medics and POs who assist off-duty.

I am guessing that every state has specific laws covering volunteer services. A few that are easy to find for NY cover volunteer firefighters:

Workers' Compensation: Volunteer Firefighter NY CLS Vol Fire Ben 6 Firefighter A volunteer firemen who is injured or killed in the line of duty is entitled to workers' compensation. They will not receive workers' compensation if intoxicated or intended to cause the injury or death.

Workers' Compensation: Volunteer Firefighter NY CLS Vol Fire Ben 16 Firefighter A volunteer firefighter injured in the line of duty is entitled to receive medical, surgical, podiatric, chiropractic, psychological, and other treatment. The political subdivision the firefighter was volunteering with is responsible for the expenses of such treatment.

Laws probably exist relating to benefits and protections for career (paid) firefighters, EMTs/Medics and POs who assist off-duty.
Good Samaritans are protected from liability if they act in accordance with their training.
Obligation to assist laws, exist in sparsely traveled wilderness areas such as in Alaska.

While not NY I will add what my dept does. As a gentleman's agreement with the city we relieve one hour early. On paper our tours are 8amX6pm and 6pmX8am but we work 7X5 and 5X7. OT is not paid until 1/4 hour after the shift end time on paper. So we are saving the city lots of OT with the shift change calls. If a major event is going on companies are rotated out with fresh companies. We keep this practice in our back pocket as we are not allowed to strike so if tensions between the union and admin grew to that point we would work "straight up and down" thus costing the city more in OT