SOC Rebreather Unit #2?

Driving into work I saw a large panel truck with SOC on the side and the designation of
Rebreather Unit # 2. Might have something to do with sucba units, but not sure.
anyone have any info?
Thanks

There are 2 rebreather units. They are equipped with the Dragger BG-4 rebreather masks. The masks are capable of running up to 4 hours on a single charge. They are not supposed to be used for structural fires as they're not designed for the high heat environments that a structure fire can produce.   The system itself isn't all that bad until you've been on air for a while. Then the air starts getting warmer and warmer as the ice melts.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Are there newer styles rebreathers they don't have the problem with the air becoming warmer?  I've read some recent articles about tunnel fires in Europe and they use rebreathers for fighting them.  Obviously tunnels are going to hold in heat even more than structures.

I've never heard them called to a box, are they SC?
How many are in each truck? They really use ice to cool them?
its a very interesting concept.

Photofpd said:

ive never actually heard them,but the dispatchers on a few occasion have told them to go 10-8 after a holland/lincoln tunnel box,

Rebreathers have been around for a long time. Any of you older former Navy guys remember the OBA's?

Photofpd said:

Yes, they are special called to any incident requiring prolonged mask operations such as tunnels, ships, hazmat and confined spaces.

Yes, ice is used to keep the breathing air cool. The ice is about 5 inches in diameter and gets placed into the ice holder. The rebreather rigs have a freezer and can make ice as well.  The scrubbed air passes over and around the ice storage compartment and cools the air. But it doesn't last long till the air starts getting warm. It's totally breathable of course, but does not provide much comfort when you have to wear the thing for a while.

For some silly reason the number 40 is coming to mind with how many they carry. 

A SOC Rebreather is automatically assigned on a "Confined Space Rescue" response.
I've heard them once assigned for a below-grade All-Hands but I'm not sure if this is dispatch policy now or if it was a special call.  They are generally not called for fires.

There's also a "Rebreather Support Matrix" which consisted of 1 Rebreather, 3 HazTec Units, 2 SOC Support Trucks, HazMat and HazMat Battalion.  I have no idea what these extra units do and I've only heard it called once, to the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

HCO

One rebreather unit is assigned on confined space and large scale gas or chemical incidents, and on 10-75/doubtful will hold signals at subway, underground rail, and vehicular tunnel incidents, or may be special-called.  Each Rebreather Unit is manned by two SOC rebreather technician/firefighters and carries 36 Draeger BG-4 Closed Circuit Breathing Apparatus, 36 extra oxygen cylinders and CO2 scrubbers, a freezer to maintain ice blocks, and a mask recharging work station.  

If the rebreather masks are to be put to use, the Incident Commander will request a ?rebreather response assignment,? consisting of the second rebreather unit, nearest available rescue and squad, and two additional rebreather-trained units (rescue, squad, hazmat tech unit, or SOC support ladder), Safety Battalion, and Rescue Operations Battalion or other trained battalion per chiefs? daily schedule.

Thanks for the info. Heard #2 getting dispatched to a confined space job in Rockaway yesterday, but the subject was rescued before they were 10-82 so they went 10-8. Every one and there mother was dispatched, But my experence and training in confined space entry says its 3 minutes is a long time to wait for a guy with a scott pack on to pull your dead weight ass out of a space. Battalion did not say what the fumes were, maybe just lack of O2?