spare trucks

ive grown up in and around the fdny for close to 30 yrs and i cant remember the last time i saw or heard of a tower ladder replaced by a spare rearmount like L-157 did the other day when there rig went OOS. tillers that are replaces by rearmounts i understand but what does it take for this occur ? and how many spare engines, towers, rearmounts amd tillers does the city have ?

Don't know how many spares they have but in recent years it hasn't been uncommon for rearmounts to replace towers.  I know there are at least three vids on Youtube from recent years in which TL23, TL111, and TL45 were all using rearmount spares.  If you look around in the Queens alerts there was a 3rd alarm last year in which TL117 was using a rearmount.  Simply put, there still aren't enough spare tower ladders to go around, especially with TL12 using a spare permanently and the recent bout of the '06 model towers falling apart, not to mention that the older model towers are spending more and more time at the shops and I believe TL158 just recently went down for gear replacement in their boom.

If they brought a Mack TL back, it'd be an interesting competition with TL138 to see which one collects more diamond plating.  ;D

Bulldog

Bulldog
catry said:
If they brought a Mack TL back, it'd be an interesting competition with TL138 to see which one collects more diamond plating  ;D
That may be a good competition but there'd be no competition as to which is the better truck!  Long live MACK!