Springfield apparatus too tall for underpass.

Springfield Illinois Truck 1 new apparatus is too tall for a railroad overpass @ Capitol Avenue between 2nd and 4th Streets necessitating an alternate route at 3rd Street which is a railroad crossing. All aerial apparatus have been told to avoid that overpass no matter what unit they are driving, just in case they have the new piece. Personally I would just wait for a semi truck to try making it through and correct the situation!

I've heard of fire apparatus not fitting in their own station, but never a road. Cincinnati has an overpass at Madison Rd & Kenwood Rd on the east side that's the same height and notorious for trucks getting stuck, but I've never heard of fire apparatus getting caught.

I was right . . . in 2010 . . .

If I remember correctly there is more to this story. I believe the apparatus was being demonstrated when this happened. When they were dispatched they were off a designated response route and this happened. If I remember correctly, that is.

If I remember correctly there is more to this story. I believe the apparatus was being demonstrated when this happened. When they were dispatched they were off a designated response route and this happened. If I remember correctly, that is.
I just bought a bunch of old FAJ issues, they have the truck in the issue in its original white over red before the “Storrowing”

I think Ray's post shows a demo unit, the ladder board says "Tower Company" and is un-numbered. Also no Boston lettering. Except for their original Tower Unit the other "towers" were mid mount Pierce, this has the bucket forward.

An old FDNY story which I cannot verify but i heard from my father (appointed to H&L 14 in 1934) and I never found him to bs...

It was a big deal when the Triborough Bridge (now RFK) was completed back in the late 1930s. Queens and Brooklyn were now connected not only to Manhattan but also to The Bronx. In an attempt to showcase the increased capability of the Department, a Queen's truck company was dispatched to the mainland borough only to find it could not squeeze through the toll booth. Turning it around snarled bridge traffic for an hour. Who the hell spec'd that one?

It was a 2001 Pierce 85’ RM tower, Boston bought it and assigned it to TL10.

l'm searching online for images. l asked if he could post the image in FAJ because l don't remember ever seeing a red over white Boston pumper or ladder, but buying a demo model would explain that oddity.

l'm searching online for images. l asked if he could post the image in FAJ because l don't remember ever seeing a red over white Boston pumper or ladder, but buying a demo model would explain that oddity.
Yes there was a white over red ladder. It was a 2001 ALF Eagle/LTI MM 75' as a demo assigned to TL-10.

Springfield Illinois Truck 1 new apparatus is too tall for a railroad overpass @ Capitol Avenue between 2nd and 4th Streets necessitating an alternate route at 3rd Street which is a railroad crossing. All aerial apparatus have been told to avoid that overpass no matter what unit they are driving, just in case they have the new piece. Personally I would just wait for a semi truck to try making it through and correct the situation!
Operationally, how is this any different than a weight-limited bridge? Seems like there are whole bunch more of those. What are the state/federal standards for minimum underpass heights? And if there is an underpass problem, why don't they just lower the roadbed and install a sump pump?

This all reminds me of a few weeks ago when I saw...I wanna say it was TL9 try and back into 20 Trucks quarters on Lafayette St. The overhang on the back of the rig combined with the dip in the street meant the rig kept bottoming out before it made it anywhere near inside the firehouse. I felt sorry for the chauffer, who was either new or just had never tried to back into there with that type of rig before.