Super Truck sold on Net

guitarman314 said:
FDNY220122 said:
What about Governers Island is it covered by the FDNY of a volley company i know what rigs they have but whos incharge if there is a fire. In Boston the have something similer and a few guys from the Boston FD cover it on a daily basis.
  Read this:   http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,348.0.html

I realize this post is somewhat old, but i found this on another forums(CentralPAFire.com) and the Pierce truck from Coverner's Island has been sold, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/nyregion/12firetruck.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=pierce&st=nyt&oref=slogin,

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
DSC06221.jpg

Good to see that a decent truck won't sit just because it might be needed once in 100 years! 

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Former USCG base that was taken over by FDNY.  Truck just sat there for some years and then sold on Craigslist

so does the islnd have any fire protection rig wise and who staffs them fdny fireman or other people

Rig-wise Governor's island has a 2001 ALF 1000/500 purchased after 9/11, which served at E34 before being moved to the island.
There is also a 2002 Ford/Saulsbury Brush Fire rig, an older model FDNY EMS ambulance, and two older model engine companies that previously belonged to the Governer's Island Fire Protection force.
The island is staffed full-time by 2 firefighters and an officer; if required other units and firefighters are ferried in from the southernmost companies in Manhattan, and if necessary from Brooklyn.
When burn tests were conducted earlier this year various companies from throughout Manhattan as well as several BOT/reserve rigs were ferried in.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Last time I was on the island they had 2 reserve Engines (500 series) and Trucks (700 series) for use if the ferry was out.  Manpower could be brought over on fireboats and then staff these units.