Technical Advice - Door Entry Procedure

Good afternoon team,

This one could be an interesting one due to the the different style of fire fighting between countries, from what i understand mainly due to the different construction styles and materials used in contrast between australia and USA.
Regardless, the following is a general guide for what we are taught as a door entry procedure in Australia.

Paint the door with a fog/cone pattern, read steam to get an idea of where the thermal layers are sitting. look for signs of water vapour, droplettss, steam getting sucked in around side s of door which may indicate backdraft conditions. Confirm with back of hand heat on the door. Branchman squats with fog/cone pattern ready to pulse twice towards super heated gases. buddy opens door quickly to allow for quick pulses then closes.
Two objectives here, cool super heated gases & equalise pressure to reduce backdraft conditions. repeat this process equalising the pressure and lowering the temperature. This is a general process for low ventilation conditions with the intent to raise the neutral plane.

My question,
I heard the other day someone mention hitting the hinges of the door with a fog pattern prior to opening the door. i haven't heard of this technique or know what purpose it would serve. i was wondering if any of you fellars know why this would be done or is this concept either misunderstood or a weird personal theory.

Ps. I appreciate the above procedure is very simplyfied and understand depending on different reactions and observations at each point the procedure will frequntly change based on the conditions. Still itnterested to hear how different FD's in USA door a door entry though.

Cheers

Jess

Thank you "Aussie_Fire" for your questions and conversation regarding various types of incidents that fire departments from across the entire world are dealing with.

I think it is SAFE TO SAY that there are many of us here that are learning from each others ideas and experience.

THANK YOU TO ALL who have taken the time to contribute.

Willy - Retired (USA) Ct Firefighter - almost 20 years (Wishing I could still do it)

Thanks Willy,
Appreciate the kind words. Like you i am no longer operataional. However i have tried to stay as close to the front line as i can now running a training organisation for the private sector of industrial emergeny response teams. In Australia remote area mine sites are a massive trillion dollar industry. My company provides professional fire and rescue teams to these operations and trains their vollunteer staff. Hence all my questions i am developing training packages with the latest advice from all over the globe including Germany and UK as well as our friends in the USA.

It's extremely valuable chatting with all you guys working in the same field all around the world.
Thanks for the response Willy.

Jess