Technical Advice - HAZMAT PPE

Good morning Team,

I was just wondering how the Fire depatments in NY or any other state/cities in the US catagorise their HAZMAT PPE? Do you have set levels? For example Level 1 is turn out kit (Fire Tunic & Trowsers), level 2 is Splash suit with SCBA. Level 3 Fully encapsulated gas tight suit with SCBA??

Curious to know what sort of PPE system is used in the USA.

Thank you in advance
Jess

Jess yes, we have, at least the last thing I heard, 3 Levels of Haz. Mat. PPE, that appear to be basically the same, or close to what designations you use "Down Under." I was trained to the "Entry Level" by the Fire Department New York. Entry level means those that are trained are able to enter the "Hot Zone" at some Hazmat incidents to remove people into the "Warm Zone" for "Gross Decontamination."
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Pretty much everyone in the states uses the NFPA and EPA levels as a standard. NFPA levels use numbers now and EPA uses letters. They both align for the same PPE.

Level 1/ Level A - fully encapsulated vapor protection with SCBA

Level 2 / Level B - splash protection ensembles with SCBA

Level 3 / Level C - splash protection ensembles with air purifying respirators

Level 4 / Level D - normal work uniform

Pretty much everyone in the states uses the NFPA and EPA levels as a standard. NFPA levels use numbers now and EPA uses letters. They both align for the same PPE.

Level 1/ Level A - fully encapsulated vapor protection with SCBA

Level 2 / Level B - splash protection ensembles with SCBA

Level 3 / Level C - splash protection ensembles with air purifying respirators

Level 4 / Level D - normal work uniform
Thank you Cap,

I'm assuming that the Level 2/3 protection with splash gear, are you taping your respiratory protection SCBA Mask/Respirator around the hood with chemical tape and same around gloves and boots or do you not worry about that??

Jess yes, we have, at least the last thing I heard, 3 Levels of Haz. Mat. PPE, that appear to be basically the same, or close to what designations you use "Down Under." I was trained to the "Entry Level" by the Fire Department New York. Entry level means those that are trained are able to enter the "Hot Zone" at some Hazmat incidents to remove people into the "Warm Zone" for "Gross Decontamination."
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Thanks Bob,
Sounds very similar to over here with our state fire departments. only select stations response to HAZMAT incidents, but all fire fighters have a general undestanding.
Thanks for your advice.

Thank you Cap,

I'm assuming that the Level 2/3 protection with splash gear, are you taping your respiratory protection SCBA Mask/Respirator around the hood with chemical tape and same around gloves and boots or do you not worry about that??
Yes typically that is the routine. They do make Level 2 / Level B fully encapsulating SPLASH suits that use an SCBA underneath and is NOT vapor protective. But for most missions Level B is coverall type suit as you described.

72B8C001-1DFF-4391-8934-148CD3689072.jpeg
Level 2/B being checked with a photoionization detector by a member wearing Level 3/C following dry decontamination at the East Palestine OH train derailment in Feb 2023.

View attachment 38655
Level 2/B being checked with a photoionization detector by a member wearing Level 3/C following dry decontamination at the East Palestine OH train derailment in Feb 2023.
Cap, thats a great photo, i have not seen turnout kit like that (the L2) so am i correct in say the garmet being worn by the L2 is thermal protection as well? So fire fighting and limited chemical protection?

Cap, thats a great photo, i have not seen turnout kit like that (the L2) so am i correct in say the garmet being worn by the L2 is thermal protection as well? So fire fighting and limited chemical protection?
It is chemical and bio protection first with a blend of Nomex III to offer flame resistance as well.