The Fire Factory

"kfd274" Thanks for that video. I remember it well.
Engine 58 and Ladder 26 was actually the first FDNY company I started to buff in the late 60s. At that time, Ladder 26 was an ALF Tiller. I picked that company because the numbered streets in the area of the firehouse was pretty easy to follow for a 17-18 year old kid from Connecticut. I used to love seeing that Tiller making those turns.
Engine 58 and Ladder 26 was also very busy in that part of Harlem then. Manhatten and the Bronx both were on 154.25 mhz in those days, and I'd hear 58/26 all the time. That was of course using my crystal controlled scanner from Radio Shack that also was tunable. And it had to be tuned in the area of 154 mhz for best reception. I'm talking like 1968/69.
  Yeap, 58/26, and also riding with Lt Hamilton of Rescue 2, was the drug that got me addicted so many years ago. Then throwing in a book called "Report from Engine 82", about the busiest firehouse in the World, and there you have it. A lifetime of FDNY Buffing, and that's how it started.
  One more point though. In those early days, Eng 58 was Red, and Lad 26 was a Tiller. 
  Thanks "kfd".