TL 124 The Story of "The Tonka Truck"

Found this on the net, tells how it got is name:

http://www.firefighterspot.com/search/label/FDNY

My nephew has all the fire department Tonka trucks purchased during the 1980's - all metal if I remember correctly.  They don't make the big one's any more.  What they have now is all  plastic and with less detail. Tried to get these for my grandchildren. Could only get one big one - plastic of course 

Enjoyed the video. Thank you for posting it. I saw that Tonka Truck operate at the many, many Bushwick jobs back in 76, 77. A Great Outfit. Lets hope that its Brother, Engine 271, doesn't get the axe with these budget cuts. The neighborhood STILL has plenty of Row 3 and 4 story attached wood frames left to burn. Those Bushwick people need that Engine Company.
  Thanks again for the video.

I grew up not far from 124 and it was actually the first fire truck I ever sat in when my grandfather took me there when i was 3. That was during the time that Bushwick was still really burning (1975). I always wondered why their fire duty dropped off so much by the early 90's. Yes, I know the war years were ending and arson for profit was not as big as it was during the war years, but the make up of Bushwick had not changed. Their area was not "burned down" like many areas of the South Bronx. As NFD said they still many many 3 and 4 story rows, and like I said the neighborhood never really saw a revitalization. So why such a drop in fire duty for these units?

kidfrmqns said:
So why such a drop in fire duty for these units?

I have to believe a drop in a lot of fire duty for Ladder 124, and many other companies throughout the city is due to better fire investigations. If a fire is Arson today, there is a much better chance of getting caught now. Much better detection equipment and no doubt Fire Marshalls that are well trained to prove their case.
  Add to the fact that many buildings are now required to have smoke detectors, fire alarm systems, and people with cell phones out there have all played into less fire activity today.
  A friend of mine who is about 29/30 years old told me something about buffing the other day. He said: "My generation may be the last group to be fire buffs". As fires go down, there'll be less people interested in buffing as it is today, or several years back. Of course there will always be fires, but as you compare the fire activity of years back, you can clearly see the difference.