mack

Administrator
August 1984 Unit Location Chart

4 marine units
SI has "boro command" instead of D 8
1 squad
4 salvage units
Fire Academy at Randall's Island

How did you get this into such a large and readable format? I have Unit Location Charts from 1954 & 1948 that I want to display here but can't resize. They show which engine co's. were single, double or triple co's. and if they had wagons and whether those were regular hosewagons or pumpers. Also what size pumper, eg: 500, 700, 750 or 1000 GPM and aerial ladder types: wood, metal, C.S.(city service), Quad, 65, 75 or 85 Ft.  ???

I am a former Boston and later Chicago "Buff" I am extremely pleased to see that there are members who want to see the history of FDNY preserved. To me I am very interested in these unit location charts, they show the evolution of FDNY. But there is one thing that bothers me. I feel that the history of many fire departments will be lost, no one seems to care to preserve the memory. I will admit I have none of the credentials of the better buffs, to me I am a mid-size dog. But I have tried to save the memories. My son says he wants all my fire/apparatus pixs to save. He now has my BFD fires/apparatus from 75 to 82 and CFD from 82 to 92.Plus he has his Iraq rigs. So I think an effort should be made to preserve the history. As for the Iraq rigs I think he has able to save them from a defective hard drive. :)

mack

Administrator
Guitarman - I scanned the location charts and then posted with two sections.  Sorry but it was the best I could do.

Grumpy Grizzly is right.  There is a lot of history which is available.  Official FD museums and some historical organizations seem to do a good job in some cities.  There should be better systems to save the pictures, documents, logs which are available. 

mack said:
Guitarman - I scanned the location charts and then posted with two sections.  Sorry but it was the best I could do.

Grumpy Grizzly is right.  There is a lot of history which is available.  Official FD museums and some historical organizations seem to do a good job in some cities.   There should be better systems to save the pictures, documents, logs which are available.   
Thanks I will attempt to do it the way you did it. ;)

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
what is the G.O. wagon mentioned in the 1956 chart?

Various terms such as GOW (wagon) and GOU (Unit) were used to define the "Gasoline and Oil" fuel tenders, lasting till early 1960s the latest rigs were small tankers carrying approx 1000 gals of gasoline and oil.  Prior to the motorized era, FDNY also operated coal wagons.  Purpose was to replenish apparatus working at extended fire operations. Assigment Cards usually listed them as due to respond on the Third Alarm.