Vintage FDNY Videos

Wow I liked to see Ladder 30's Mack rearmount!  Were there any other companies that were issed a Mack rearmount?  Man I wish I was on the job back then!

dillondotcom said:
Wow I liked to see Ladder 30's Mack rearmount!  Were there any other companies that were issed a Mack rearmount?  Man I wish I was on the job back then!
Yes, the other one was with L132 and had "EYE OF THE STORM" on the ladder. ;)

dillondotcom said:
Wow I liked to see Ladder 30's Mack rearmount!  Were there any other companies that were issed a Mack rearmount?  Man I wish I was on the job back then!

I was always surprised NY didn't order more of them, with Mack's great reputation in the City ! (the stick is a 105' LTI)

l30t.jpg

I agree R1.  I have spoken to some of the senior men at my house about the Macks that used to be in service.  They told me they were some of the best rigs they ever operated.  Very powerfull engines, easy to drive and handle in and out of tight spots or down a narrow street.  Also they told me that they were very dependable, never had any problems.  You could always get in the cab and turn it on, and know nothing would be wrong.  It really is a shame that Mack got out of the fire business.  Do you or anyone else know why they stopped in the first place?

B

Bigandy

I always was under the impression Mack got out of the business because there rigs were so good that, none of them ever broke down, so they no one ever needed a replacement!  ;D

Just kidding, I'd like to know the answer to that too. Those rigs were beautiful!

Another vote for the Macks. You just couldn't kill them. I once heard that because they were such a good built truck that nobody could afford them anymore. So, like the FDNY, many cities had to look elsewhere for new apparatus. For the FDNY along came the American La France Engines, then back to Macks, then Seagraves. But as a result, no city was buying them, therefore Mack stopped producing them. That was the rumor I had heard a long time ago. Whether it is true or not, I don't really know.
  But Mack built the best and most rugged fire truck out there. So good that they had to price themselves right out of business. Then came the E-One's, etc., etc. Along came the much less expensive fire truck.
  Although Bigandy might be joking in his previous post, the story as I know it, he is actually very correct. Mack went out of business because they were just so good. At least with producing fire trucks.

B

Bigandy

I didn't want to seem too foolish, but that's what my Dad and Grandfather always said to. "A Mack is the Best Fire Engine EVER!".  Maybe that's why I have collected Mack memorabilia all these years  ;D

I remember a job that "Wayne the Flame" (RIP) and I stumbled on in the middle of a hot early 1970's night when it seemed like every unit south of Fordham Rd. and north of 110th St. was out working. We smelled smoke and found it coming out of the rear shaft of a rundown tenement at the SW corner of St. Ann's & 134th. I ran to the ERS box 2120 and called it as an occupied bldg., then ran inside and joined Wayne banging on doors shouting to the tenants in English & Spanish "Fire, get out!". When we got back outside L29 pulled up along 134th coming from another run that was somewhere west of this location and had to wait for water. That first engine would be E35 (normally 3rd due on the 2nd) with a 1971 Mack, they pumped for a while as the job went to a 2nd alarm and then right at its peak, E35's radiator gave out, all the antifreeze got dumped but that engine kept pumping and feeding 2 handlines lines and a tower ladder. The 3 lines were eventually switched over to another engine (I believe E91) but E35's Mack diesel kept on running like a true BullDog.  ;) http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2842/box2120bx.jpg

guitarman314 said:
  I remember a job that "Wayne the Flame" (RIP) and I stumbled on in the middle of a hot early 1970's night when it seemed like every unit south of Fordham Rd. and north of 110th St. was out working. We smelled smoke and found it coming out of the rear shaft of a rundown tenement at the SW corner of St. Ann's & 134th. I ran to the ERS box 2120 and called it as an occupied bldg., then ran inside and joined Wayne banging on doors shouting to the tenants in English & Spanish "Fire, get out!". When we got back outside L29 pulled up along 134th coming from another run that was somewhere west of this location and had to wait for water. That first engine would be E35 (normally 3rd due on the 2nd) with a 1971 Mack, they pumped for a while as the job went to a 2nd alarm and then right at its peak, E35's radiator gave out, all the antifreeze got dumped but that engine kept pumping and feeding 2 handlines lines and a tower ladder. The 3 lines were eventually switched over to another engine (I believe E91) but E35's Mack diesel kept on running like a true BullDog.  ;) http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2842/box2120bx.jpg

In the enclosed photo "Wayne the Flame" (RIP) can be seen wearing  a red plaid shirt.  Wayne's ashes are presently housed at a fire house on East Tremont Ave. in Da Bronx.
mike8.2.2010.jpg

Thanks, he got his start buffing at E60/L17/B14 and he was like a younger brother to me during the "War Years". :)

I last saw Wayne at Bronx Box 33-3617 on 4/20/08. He brought the Salvation Army canteen to the job.

M

mmattyphoto

The Salvation Army should be naming the Canteen unit after him. He was there no matter what. Wayne was a true Firehouse Buff. RIP Wayne The Flame.

Remember when that large frame church on Vyse Ave around the corner from E45 went up, Wayne was upset because the Red Cross Canteen beat them in to their Home Box. RIP Wayne.

I noticed on the car for box 2120 that on the second alarm E94 relocates E73, L48 to L42.  They would relocate an entire house to another back then?

Both Brooklyn tin house units went to Knickerbocker Avenue regularly in the mid 70s

dillondotcom said:
I noticed on the car for box 2120 that on the second alarm E94 relocates E73, L48 to L42.  They would relocate an entire house to another back then?
Yes, E73/L42 had 3 houses that regularly relocated to them depending on the direction of the job: If the job was to the east: E50/L19, north: E83/29 & south & west E94/L48 but if the engine at one of these 3 houses had already responded to the box or relocated to another co., E35, E41 or E96 would  relocate to E73. With L42 it was L19, L29 & L48. I don't remember ever seeing a run card where E73 relocated but L42 did relocate to L44 on a few Washington Hts. boxes.