My younger Buff years

Thats awesome, the days when you were ALLOWED to actually still have fun on the job without fear of discipline. Great pic.

The War Years were in full swing around 1975. Fires were reaching astonding Historic numbers. Even with the many Second Sections, Tactical Control Units, and Manpower Squad Companies, the FDNY was completely overwhelmed. Things were so busy that fires were put on a priority until a company was freed up to respond. I remember seeing car fires just burn themselves out before anybody was available to respond. When the Engine Co showed up it was just to cool off the hot steel on the car and watch the steam come off. Large brush fires would burn the tall uncut grass in Crotona Park in the Bronx with nobody responding.

During this time there was talk of money problems for New York City. I remember hearing that the Bronx could not support itself with the amount of taxes collected. By now many entire blocks were nothing but burned out vacant buildings. No rents collected and no taxes paid. There began talk of a serious fiscal crisis looming. As time went on there was talk of 40,000 city employees getting laid off, including 1600 Firefighters.

On June 26, 1975 it was announced that effective July 1, 1975 that the unthinkable would take place. The city would lay off 1,600 firefighters and close nearly 50 companies just as the number of fires were already overwelming the entire dept. All of the Second Sections would be eliminated. The Tactical Control Units that were needed during the Busiest times for fires would be elimimated. The Squad Companies that were used as extra manning as Engine or Truck Companies would be elimimated. The Special Units such as the Super Pumper and Satilite Units would be manned by their home Engine Company. And several Marine Companies and Engine Cos would also be eliminated. It was the first time I had ever heard of Firefighters being laid off. Even during the Great Depression, that did NOT happen.

The other day I was going through some of my old papers on what I had written down during my younger buff days. Here is what I had written on it.
  TCU's night differential pay of 5 %. Work three nights with three days off. Shift started at 2:30 PM until 12:30 AM.
  TCU 512 quartered at Eng 90, operated out of Eng 45.  TCU 513 quartered at Eng 96, operated out of Eng 94. TCU 712 quartered at Eng 43, operated out of Lad 31. TCU 531 quartered at Eng 285, operated out of Eng 225. TCU 731 quartered at Eng 288 (now Sqd 288), operated out of Lad 102. TCU 732 quqrtered out of Eng 286, operated out of Eng 277.
  Interchange involved 144 of 366 companies. Second Sections were Eng 50-2, 88-2, 91-2, 217-2, 233-2, Lad 17-2, 26-2, 27-2, 103-2. Also noted in this old piece of paper I wrote out was Eng 46-2 became Eng 88-2.
  Also written down was that the TCUs were disbanded in 1971/1972. I had thought they were disbanded during the fiscial crisis.
  Just some old notes I had written down probadly a few decades ago that I wanted to pass along. I certainly can NOT confirm if my notes are Correct, just that I wrote them years ago.

Hi Guys....
I joined this site after literally spending about three hours going through all the outstanding stories on thread, and this is my first post.
I have heard of the `War Years` through reading such classic books as Report From Engine Co.82, The Fire Factory and The Brave by George Pickett, but the view from the buffs is incredible.

We have had nothing near the scale of action seen in NYC here in England, probably since The Blitz. The closest we come is Guy Fawkes night which is similar to your 4th July's.

Like yourselves, we used to go out and buff, by either sitting outside stations (firehouses) with our scanners, or driving around busy areas waiting for action. Sadly, very sadly, the British Fire Service has now adopted a national scheme to change each Fire Brigade's radio system to a digital encrypted airwave system which makes our scanners uselss. Let me tell you guys, it is a big change not having the ability to monitor fire frequencies after doing so for the last 20 years!

Anyway, look forward to chatting to you all over the next few weeks and please, please, keep the buff stories coming, they are fantastic!

Andy

BritishAndy said:
Sadly, very sadly, the British Fire Service has now adopted a national scheme to change each Fire Brigade's radio system to a digital encrypted airwave system which makes our scanners uselss. Let me tell you guys, it is a big change not having the ability to monitor fire frequencies after doing so for the last 20 years!

Hi Andy,

Welcome in the world of technical progression. Here in the Netherlands we also have our @#!#@ digital C2000 system. Might be better for us as emergency services. But I know it 'hurts' not being able to listen anymore.

I'm very glad that I discovered live FDNY on Thebravest.com. It nice to listen an check this forum.
Thanks to all who post the rundowns !

Have fun also Andy and stay safe. :)

nfd2004 said:
The other day I was going through some of my old papers on what I had written down during my younger buff days. Here is what I had written on it.
  TCU's night differential pay of 5 %. Work three nights with three days off. Shift started at 2:30 PM until 12:30 AM.
  TCU 512 quartered at Eng 90, operated out of Eng 45.  TCU 513 quartered at Eng 96, operated out of Eng 94. TCU 712 quartered at Eng 43, operated out of Lad 31. TCU 531 quartered at Eng 285, operated out of Eng 225. TCU 731 quartered at Eng 288 (now Sqd 288), operated out of Lad 102. TCU 732 quqrtered out of Eng 286, operated out of Eng 277.
   Interchange involved 144 of 366 companies. Second Sections were Eng 50-2, 88-2, 91-2, 217-2, 233-2, Lad 17-2, 26-2, 27-2, 103-2. Also noted in this old piece of paper I wrote out was Eng 46-2 became Eng 88-2.
   Also written down was that the TCUs were disbanded in 1971/1972. I had thought they were disbanded during the fiscial crisis.
   Just some old notes I had written down probadly a few decades ago that I wanted to pass along. I certainly can NOT confirm if my notes are Correct, just that I wrote them years ago.

E41 had a 2nd section

[/quote]

E41 had a 2nd section

[/quote]
Thanks "turk132". I had forgotten about Engine 41-2, but I certainly do remember it. That was one real hopping area. I missed that listing on that old paper I found. I had that paper in a book put out by a guy named Marvin Schneider. It was called "The FDNY 70s". Just a paper bound book held together with three staples. On the cover are these headlines, which were from newspaper headlines: "300 Firefighters Chilled Battling 8th-Alarm 30th St Warehouse Fire". "Lowery signs Order to Shut Six Firehouses". "10 Hurt in Fire-Truck Crash". "City in "Fire Crisis" UFOA Warns Mayor".  "Three Firehouses to be Closed for Efficiency". "Residents Hit Plan to Move Engine 31".
  A Great book with lots of information about those Busy, Historic Years. Another Great History book of those Busy Years was written by a guy named; Gus Johnson. Maybe "G-man" or "Johnd248" has a copy, but I'm sure not many out there.
  And "Welcome Aboard British Andy". And "We Thank You for your nice comments". The stories sure are quite a Collection, aren't they !!! And same story here. Some Cities going digital, encrypted. Thankfully NOT the FDNY, and hopefully NEVER.

yes, I have all three paper books by Marvin Schneider, the other two were on the history of Manhattan and the Other boros.

There is also a book out there by Ron Bartash titled "Complete Guide to New York City Firehouses and Patches - Brooklyn Edition"

Does anyone know where I can find a copy?

Thanks,

1261truckie

C

chenz62

I am Vincent E. Polera, FF William F. Polera's younger son.  I am a Sergeant in the Nassau County Police Dept.  I am sad to say that my dad passed in 1987.  He told me some basic details of that rescue and I proudly hold his Brooklyn Citizens Medal and B&W Picture from June 1971 Medal Day at Pace University.  My dad did not like to brag or look for accolades.  He was also a First Sergeant in the Army National Guard.  He was awarded the Medal for Valor , the highest in NYS in regards to that rescue.  While attending college, my dad wrote some memoirs in his English class.  I always told him he should write a book! Brooklyn was burning down when he did his first 5 years in Engine 235, and his last 10 years in Rescue 2.  He got crushed (literally broke his back) in Red Hook Brooklyn after entering a partially collapsed building with FF Hauber (spelling?). After that he got his 3/4 pension, he lived to be 49.  "Leather Lungs was a gem of a fireman and an old school brass balled tough man.  I am proud to have had him as my dad. 

Any Sounds like you should! Sounded like a GREAT man, must of had some amazing stories. I am sorry for your loss. R.I.P FF Polera

Chenz62. Your father was a Hero and no doubt one of the Greatest Firefighters to ever live. He fought fires during the busiest of times for the FDNY. I am so sad to hear that he passed away at such an early age. He was part of the "Greatest Generation of Firefighters" to ever live. I might have met him when I rode with Rescue 2 around 1968. I reading the story in WNYF Magazine.

I believe that your father made that Great rescue of firefighters along with Lt Richard Hamilton then. Recently, I was able to get in touch with Lt Hamilton, who is now 86 years old. He lives in Califorina and wasn't in the best of health, but according to his daughter, "he's as sharp as a tack". Your father and him made that Great rescue together. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Also there area few other Great stories written about your father too that you might want to check out.

I will do my best to pass this onto Lt Hamilton and his daughter. I'll send you an E-mail with more info.

Ran across some old run cards and noticed MK01 and RH02 and several jobs over the city. What were these units, I couldn't figure it out. Thanks

rdm258 said:
Ran across some old run cards and noticed MK01 and RH02 and several jobs over the city. What were these units, I couldn't figure it out. Thanks

On the "RH02", this might be "Rehab 2". Years back, maybe in the 80s, before the RAC Units, there were two Rehab units. I believe they were converted from a Rescue and Haz Mat Co. "MK01" is something some of us senior citizens might have to put the old thinking caps on.

You might see a photo of a Former Rehab Unit on www.emtbravo.net under "Protection from the Past" FDNY photos. I have several FDNY Apparatus, and various Photos on a disc from years back, but I just don't know how to post them. Send me a "PM" if you might be interested. Maybe "Mikeindabronx" or "vbcapt" who I know has posted photos before.

Willy "D" (sorry to brag, but considered to be "NFDs HALL of FAMER". Not Newarks, but Norwich, Ct's Hall of Famer)

MS01 is Mask Service, that is why confused on what on MK. I just can't figure it out.

nfd2004 said:
rdm258 said:

On the "RH02", this might be "Rehab 2". Years back, maybe in the 80s, before the RAC Units, there were two Rehab units. I believe they were converted from a Rescue and Haz Mat Co. "MK01" is something some of us senior citizens might have to put the old thinking caps on.

You might see a photo of a Former Rehab Unit on www.emtbravo.net under "Protection from the Past" FDNY photos. I have several FDNY Apparatus, and various Photos on a disc from years back, but I just don't know how to post them. Send me a "PM" if you might be interested. Maybe "Mikeindabronx" or "vbcapt" who I know has posted photos before.

Willy "D" (sorry to brag, but considered to be "NFDs HALL of FAMER". Not Newarks, but Norwich, Ct's Hall of Famer)

To the best of my recollection, the two rehab units were originally Mobile Medical Units 1 and 2 (MMU1 & MMU 2). Prior to EMS merging with F.D.N.Y. a MMU would respond to all 3rd alarms or greater. The MMU would be used by the department medical officer on emergency duty (Car 32 or 33 back then) as an evaluation room prior to sending injured firefighters to the hospital. MMU's were also used to transport injured and ill firefighters to the hospital on occasion. To my knowledge, the job had these two units built specifically to be used as MMU's.

There also was an ALF Rescue back then (R-2) and an ALF Haz Mat. The Haz Mat later became the collapse rig for Rescue 3 for a while and after that it became a spare rescue. The last that I saw of it, it was in service as the Haz Mat unit for Putnam County, N.Y.. 

Actually before Mobile Medical Unit, I think they were called Ambulance #. I remember Ambulance 1 was quartered with E59/L30.