My younger Buff years

Thank you ALL for that information. Yes, I do remember those MMU's back in the day. And I do now remember back those two ALF's, Rescue 2 and the Haz Mat Unit. Yes, I do remember one being converted to a Collapse Unit. I think the ALF Haz Mat Unit later became a second piece to Haz Mat 1.?????

Just to add, I think there was also an Ambulance 2, maybe in Brooklyn at one time. That became MMU #2. Two Field Comms also.

As a buff, I remember those Great Days. For some of us on here, if you were on the job, or just a buff like myself, those 2, 3, or 4 decades seem like yesterday. Bells, pull boxes, with NO cell phones, just pay phones. Even at one point, the Voice Alarms, and ERS Boxes were something new. The First group of new Tower Ladders showed us how much fire could be put out with those Tower Ladder Buckets. Guys rode the back step on the Engines with their 3/4 boots and turnout coats. I remember riding the "NEW" Rescue 2 with it's new automatic transmission. No more shifting the rig through the gears. I'm guessing it was around 1970. No computers in the rigs or in the Communication Offices. Those that were around I'm sure will agree. "Just a Great time to be around".

Thanks again guys.

0406 3-3                E239 E209 E221 E216 L108 MK01 AM02 TS01

Got this from Frank's website. It shows MK01 on the 3-3, which I believe is MSU 1

Yes Bill there was an Ambulance 2. It showed up on the 3-3 above (AM02). I do not remember where it was housed

I don't believe its a typo. It may have been the abbreviation used in the past as also shown in the link catry provided

"chenz62", I hope you got the E-mail I sent you. If NOT please send me a "PM".

Bill D.,    Norwich, Ct

B

Bigandy

Just wondering, is it still worth it to buff July 4th in the busier sections of Brooklyn and Bronx, or hit or miss?

Bigandy said:
Just wondering, is it still worth it to buff July 4th in the busier sections of Brooklyn and Bronx, or hit or miss?

"Bigandy", you can read about the Fourth of July fire stories in "History", "Oh those Busy Fourth of July's". "Fd347" who is a Supervising Brooklyn Dispatcher said last year on July 10, 2009 that it was busier, but nothing like it was several years ago. He kinda knows his stuff.

I will say this though. Maybe some others will agree. I do think in general, the work has certainly picked up recently for the FDNY over the last year or so. Whether it's the economy, whatever, I don't know. That being said, it could be a busier Fourth of July this year. Just my own opinion.

Maybe Mayor Bloomie will read this, and have all those extra companies manned like they used to, because NFD2004 thinks it might be somewhat busier.

After Mayor Giullianni made it tough to possess fireworks within the five boroughs, the unusually high level of fire activity on July 4th was drastically reduced and has stayed that way since.

M

mmattyphoto

I really think that the July 4th Mayhem is over. There will be 4th's that are busy but nothing like the past.

B

Bigandy

Yeah I figured it was due to Bloomie, cause everytime you go over, under, any bridge in the tri-state areas around that time, even the Deleware Water Gap you see "Strict Enforcement of FireWorks" and such. I was unfortunate, not that building burning down is good or anything, but I was unfortunate to have missed such a great time of firefighting since I'm particulary young. I've never caught a 4th of July, because I was too busy sucking down cold ones at someone's BBQ, but I think this year I'm gonna head over with a few friends of mine to see what we can catch. Thanks a lot guy, and by the way these stories are timeless...and some so incredible it's hard for me to believe, but in New York anything was possible. The stories about no units available just blow my mind, but I could see L111 or L31 pull up to a box and have fire out all windows of a 5 story MD, and no one else in sight, and be told, do the best you can. Jeez. Thank you all.

Hi chenz62,

I sent to two PM's regarding the rescue. Let me know if you receive them

1261truckie (aka Jim Boyle)

B

Bigandy

Back in the day, was it more sought after to be in a busy engine/truck or to be on a rescue? I know there was a lot of competition between engines/trucks and the rescue, especially in brooklyn after Gallagher was there. So what was it like?

B

Bigandy

I remember reading or hearing a story, that stated it was not uncommon to pull up to a job and see a whole entire family outside the apartment on the sidewalk with everything...the clothes, the dog, to the tv. Just goes to show that a building was called in for a false alarm 3-4 times before someone poured gasoline down the stairs. The War Years, nothing will ever compare, from what I'm reading in these 35 pages. Thank you for all your stories.

More GREAT Photos added from "mikeindabronx". Hope you don't mind I added these Mike. They are GREAT. Now eight pages of the greatest photos during those busy years.

Go to; www.fdnysbravest.com

Thanks Mike. They're Great.

Bill D.