Rescue 1

What is the plan for Rescue 1's "new house"?

Is FDNY going to acquire an existing structure and convert into a firehouse or is FDNY going to build a new house for Rescue 1?
There was a location that they would possible get but it needs a lot of work. It’s north of the firehouse about 10 blocks

Wasn't R1's qtrs. just built in the 80's? Why a new one?
They need a bigger house. Plus talks of moving Rescue Batt to Manhattan with them. And the Collapse Rescue. Rescue 1 Carrie’s more equipment on there rescue then any of the others.

When they built the new Rescue 1 quarters it should have had 2 or 3 bays. The usual lack of planning for the future.

My local volunteer fire company last year took delivery of a $1+ million Seagrave heavy rescue with a Hackney body.
I think the City is partial to Saulsbury bodies, unless that's changed recently. Last I heard on warranties, City wants a 5 year warranty. Pierce said "Sure, it'll cost $$$ per year." The city balked at the price. You get what you pay for.

I think the City is partial to Saulsbury bodies, unless that's changed recently. Last I heard on warranties, City wants a 5 year warranty. Pierce said "Sure, it'll cost $$$ per year." The city balked at the price. You get what you pay for.
Too bad Saulsbury doesn't exist any more . . . like Ahrens-Fox, American LaFrance, Mack Fire Apparatus, etc., etc., etc.

So here is a fun exercise: if acquiring the property was not an issue, where would the ideal location for a new R1 firehouse be? Keep in mind East-west travel, access to highways and bridges, and overall best primary area coverage - have fun. There are no right or wrong answers.

Again- it's a major failure by the City, Community Boards, elected officials etc to not have extracted a firehouse property as a concession from the Hudson Yard developers.

Here’s one, Ladder 8s house. Could it be added onto? Move Ladder 8 and add onto Ladder 8 and put Rescue 1 into those quarters.

Again- it's a major failure by the City, Community Boards, elected officials etc to not have extracted a firehouse property as a concession from the Hudson Yard developers.
You hit it on the nose with that observation!!!