11/27/22- Mystic, CT 5th Alarm

Working fire at 2 Washington Street. Reported smoke and flames from commercial structure at Seaport Marine, Box plus assignment. Mystic FD, Old Mystic FD, Sub Base FD FAST,

BCR

Now a 5th alarm, reports that multiple commercial, residential and boats burning

Some of the departments on scene: Mystic, Old Mystic, Sub Base, Poquonnock Bridge, Ledyard, Gales Ferry, Stonington Borough, Pawcatuck, Wequestequock, Cohanzie (Waterford), Westerly (RI), Mohegan Tribal (2nd FAST Team), Mystic River Ambulance, Stonington PD, Groton PD, Canteen Unit.

Tanker Task Force: Center Groton, Gales Ferry, Wequetequock, North Stonington, Ashaway (RI).

At 9:25 pm Norwich F.D. Battalion 1 and Truck 1 also responded.
That is a 17 mile run, the farthest mutual aid request that I can remember.
On arrival they were assigned to stage at the Mystic Fire Station.
Both units returned in service shortly after midnight.

Thank you "Johnd248" for providing us with the rundown of companies operating at the scene.
Thank you "Signal73" for posting those photos. "Ratpack" sent me them and I was going to ask you to post them for me.
Thank you "mikeindabronx" as I missed the local news and the links you provided here, allow me to do it.

Thank you all
"TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK"

Pulled this off CT FIRE RESCUE AND MAJOR INCIDENTS OFFICIAL page on Facebook

Mystic
Washington Street and Cottrell Street
Multiple calls on a structure fire
Well-involved
mystic, old mystic Engine 62, Subase FAST, Mystic River EMS, Poquonnock Bridge Engine 32

Second Alarm sounded, now the third alarm
Old Mystic Tower, North Stonington Engine, Ledyard Engine, Subase Tower 65, Groton City Tower 15, Noank Engine 42, Quaimbaug Engine 21, Wequetequock Engine 31

PD evacuating surrounding residences

Command striking the fourth alarm
Gales Ferry Engine 21, Westerly Engine, Waterford Rescue 57 New London Tower 2 FAST

Command starting tankers to east main at the post office
North Stonington Tanker 13
Gales Ferry Tanker 24
Ashaway Tanker
Wequetequock Tanker 34

**Collapse on the Alpha Side**

Two additional FAST companies to the scene per command, Norwich City Truck 1 FAST, Mohegan Tribal FAST

Two additional ambulances to the scene

Mystic fire boat 232 operating

East Great Plains Ladder 5 and Voluntown Tanker covering Old Mystic

At 9:25 pm Norwich F.D. Battalion 1 and Truck 1 also responded.
That is a 17 mile run, the farthest mutual aid request that I can remember.
On arrival they were assigned to stage at the Mystic Fire Station.
Both units returned in service shortly after midnight.

Thank you "Johnd248" for providing us with the rundown of companies operating at the scene.
Thank you "Signal73" for posting those photos. "Ratpack" sent me them and I was going to ask you to post them for me.
Thank you "mikeindabronx" as I missed the local news and the links you provided here, allow me to do it.

Thank you all
"TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK"
Willie

Did you take it in? 17 miles is nt far, there are companies due on the box at my house that come 17 miles. Pressurized the Providence Canteen did not make it.

Looked like a hell of a fire

Mystic
Well-involved
mystic, old mystic Engine 62, Subase FAST, Mystic River EMS, Poquonnock Bridge Engine 32

Old Mystic Tower, North Stonington Engine, Ledyard Engine, Subase Tower 65, Groton City Tower 15, Noank Engine 42, Quaimbaug Engine 21, Wequetequock Engine 31

Gales Ferry Engine 21, Westerly Engine, Waterford Rescue 57 New London Tower 2 FAST

Gales Ferry Tanker 24
Ashaway Tanker
Wequetequock Tanker 34

Two additional FAST companies to the scene per command, Norwich City Truck 1 FAST, Mohegan Tribal FAST

Also on the fourth: Ladder from Stonington Borough, engine and tower ladder from Pawcatuck. They all arrived prior to the units listed on the fourth alarm.

mack

Administrator

Mystic
Well-involved

Gales Ferry Tanker 24
Ashaway Tanker
Wequetequock Tanker 34

Thanks Signal 73

It is difficult to get exact numbers of units responding to this 5th Alarm, but the unofficial totals from this info on this thread and from info posted by involved departments are approximately:

1st Alarm Totals:

4 Eng (Mystic, Old Mystic, Old Mystic, Poquonnock)
1 Lad (Mystic)
1 Eng (Sub Base) FAST/RIT
1 EMS (Mystic Riv)

2nd & 3rd Alarm Totals:

5 Eng (N Stonington, Ledyard, Noank, Quaimbaug, Wequequock)
3 Tow Lad (Old Mystic, Sub Base, Groton)

4th Alarm Totals:

4 Eng (Gales Ferry, Westerly, Pawcatuck)
1 Tow Lad (Pawcatuck)
1 Lad (Stonington)
1 Tow Lad (New London) FAST/RIT
1 Rescue (Waterford)

5th Alarm Totals:

Unknown

Additional Units:

4 Tankers (North Stonington, Gales Ferry, Ashaway, Wequetequock)
1 Fire boat (Mystic)
2 EMS
2 Trucks (Norwich, Mohegan Tribal) FAST/RIT

Last edited:
Willie

Did you take it in? 17 miles is nt far, there are companies due on the box at my house that come 17 miles. Pressurized the Providence Canteen did not make it.

Looked like a hell of a fire

No Joe, aka "Maxim", I did NOT take it in.

However, site member "scarter", a good friend who lives close to where this fire occurred, DID.
He is a retired Norwich B/C and a buff of the Providence FD and the FDNY.
"Ain't that right Stuie".

Good short video - from Facebook

Norwich Firefighters Local 892

Thank you "CT Buff" as well for posting that video of this incident.

The video is from "NLC Fire Wire", where some videos of fires in 2022 are posted on this site in the "Videography Section" titled:
"2022 Eastern, Ct Year in Review".

I am very proud of another Norwich Firefighter named; Ryan F., who produces those videos for us.
He does so with the help of many contributing friends/buffs who share their fire and incident videos with us, to make the complete package.

*Rekindle*
Stonington police reports the Seaport Marine Fire location to be on fire again in the rubble. Mystic Fire requested.
Washington St Mystic
Stonington
MFD

I gotta think the Fire Fighter was pulling at her mooring lines just upriver with all this going on - I guess we should start cross training with Mystic FD so they can get the old girl up and running if needed!

Glad to see there weren't any major injuries, but I wonder why Thames Towboat didn't send over one of their tugs that works with the Sub Base, at least one if not more of them are FiFi-1 rated.

I gotta think the Fire Fighter was pulling at her mooring lines just upriver with all this going on - I guess we should start cross training with Mystic FD so they can get the old girl up and running if needed!

Glad to see there weren't any major injuries, but I wonder why Thames Towboat didn't send over one of their tugs that works with the Sub Base, at least one if not more of them are FiFi-1 rated.

Yes, "FFM1938", the old FDNY Fire Boat, "The Firefighter", is docked right nearby as a tourist attraction at the Mystic Seaport.