E88/L38 and the old Bx CO may become historic landmarks

And I guess the old, old fire alarm office on the third floor of old Engine Company 46's quarters at 715-717 East 176th Street is still standing too.

A long tradition of keeping the house in mint condition. Goes back over a century to its organization. AKA "a West Point house". L38 once cited as the best run unit in the FDNY. E88 in 1974, a peak of the War Years, led the entire FDNY in runs. Both companies ranked among the top 10 in runs and workers for the duration of the War Years.
The only FDNY house designed by theater architects, the building is unique in several ways. The front facade resembles the Amsterdam Theater on W.42d St., for years the home of "The Lion King". The walls of the apparatus floor are marble rather than square white tiles. Banisters and trim throughout are mahogany. Beautiful oak lockers up on the 3rd floor. The members recovered and restored the original wrought iron bedframes for the centennial celebration In 2008.
Hugh Halligan among some notable FFs who began their careers on Belmont Ave.
And being around the corner from Arthur Avenue, their kitchen is famous for what is served.

Last edited:
I always like it when I hear some companies are "too busy" to keep their quarters clean.

Fron 1970-75, worked at least 1 night a week in E88 on the interchange. Capt. McNally, L,38 - what a fine gent and a great officer. Worked with his brother John when he was in L.51.

Oops - have to also give an honorable mention to the Circus Wagon, a/k/a the Stanley Steamer, a/k/a E.88-2 before they eventually left Belmont Ave. to form a new company in Throggs Neck, E.72. Then, Stan went totally nuts with lights and sirens. He installed the first "ditch lights" on the side of the cab to be able to see the sides of the rig at night in tight spots. The rig needed a second alternator installed just to supply the juice. Stan was the first to install a "sight glass" tube on the pump panel to see the water level in the booster tank, and also built a "Navy" ladder at midships to gain access to the Stan. I believe there may have also been an aux. air compressor for the roof horns from a MetroNorth Loco. For his efforts, he was given the Hundred Years Award.
ny_nyc_fdny_retired_satellite_2_(6).jpg
(Maybe Uncle Willie may have a better shot of the light show on the back)

Last edited:
A long tradition of keeping the house in mint condition. Goes back over a century to its organization. AKA "a West Point house". L38 once cited as the best run unit in the FDNY. E88 in 1974, a peak of the War Years, led the entire FDNY in runs. Both companies ranked among the top 10 in runs and workers for the duration of the War Years.
The only FDNY house designed by theater architects, the building is unique in several ways. The front facade resembles the Amsterdam Theater on W.42d St., for years the home of "The Lion King". The walls of the apparatus floor are marble rather than square white tiles. Banisters and trim throughout are mahogany. Beautiful oak lockers up on the 3rd floor. The members recovered and restored the original wrought iron bedframes for the centennial celebration In 2008.
And being around the corner from Arthur Avenue, their kitchen is famous for what is served.
Interesting note, those two buildings were built at separate times. First the Engine side was built and very soon after the Truck side was built. For the longest time there were only two doors connecting the houses, one in the back of the apparatus floor and one on the third floor front of the building. And for many years it had 2 separate house watch.

Interesting note, those two buildings were built at separate times. First the Engine side was built and very soon after the Truck side was built. For the longest time there were only two doors connecting the houses, one in the back of the apparatus floor and one on the third floor front of the building. And for many years it had 2 separate house watch.
Did not know that, thanks for the info.
Always thought the house looked like an old opera house, something you would see in Europe.
Funny how a lot of the older house houses were built with two of everything (kitchens, housewatches, bunk rooms, etc.) and a wall between the engine and truck

And I guess the old, old fire alarm office on the third floor of old Engine Company 46's quarters at 715-717 East 176th Street is still standing too.
The building still stands. The communications office was gutted years and years ago, per Herb Eysser. Has had many lives since the original E46 moved out almost 50 years ago i.e., L58 quarters, BX Borough command office, R3 quarters, BX communications equipment storage...

The building still stands. The communications office was gutted years and years ago, per Herb Eysser. Has had many lives since the original E46 moved out almost 50 years ago i.e., L58 quarters, BX Borough command office, R3 quarters, BX communications equipment storage...
I wonder if all the Bronx fire alarm box circuits still go through 176th Street?

I wonder if all the Bronx fire alarm box circuits still go through 176th Street?
The circuits were all rerouted to the BXCO office when it was built in the 1920s on Bronx Park South.To my understanding from Herb E., anything remaining up on the 3d floor was ripped out years ago.

has the house ever been renovated? I swear its the kiss of death for old houses if not tightly watched. The plans will say new apparatus floors and bathrooms.
6 months in,
the old wooden lockers are gone, wood floors are covered over with asbestos tile,
tin ceilings gone,
the old wooden doors gone
and then they paint everything 2 colors of pop tan.

Did not know that, thanks for the info.
Always thought the house looked like an old opera house, something you would see in Europe.
Funny how a lot of the older house houses were built with two of everything (kitchens, housewatches, bunk rooms, etc.) and a wall between the engine and truck
I posted this back in December 2022 in a thread about House watch areas:

The separation of companies within a firehouse derives from the military Principle of War, "Unity of Command".

Most of the original units of the Metropolitan FD and the FDNY inherited the quarters of the former volunteer companies. They were stand alone engine, hose, or truck houses. As the department expanded northward up the Isle of Manhattan and into The Bronx the concept of combined companies came into use. A steam pumper, hose wagon, and ladder truck were housed under one roof under the command of a single captain. After 1900 it became apparent that such coverage was insufficient and individual ladder companies were organized in some of those same firehouses. (See E75/L33, E79/L37,etc,.)

The FDNY at the time feared that this arrangement would cause conflict and disciplinary problems within quarters having 2 skippers in the same building. Two guys in charge meant nobody was really in charge. As a result, firehouses built after about 1906 (e.g.,E84/L34, E88/38, etc,.) were constructed with a wall between the 2 units, with separate sleeping quarters, watch desks, and kitchens. Each captain ruled his own roost.

After World War I the department realized that the anticipated conflicts did not arise when companies shared the same apparatus floor. For that reason, and as a cost saving measure, the Walker type firehouses were introduced in the 1920s.

While no longer a factor in firehouse construction, the principle of unity of command still rules in fire department operations.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022

And add AC Rich Sacamanno to the list of notables. RIP Chief. And of course our own Johnny Gage.

Last edited: