2/17/23 Staten Island 4th Alarm 10-60/10-66 Box 3592

mack

Administrator
Special well-done to all units involved with this very difficult fire. Best wishes for recovery of injured. Also, special well-done for first arriving companies, especially when 2 first alarm engines were unavailable (167, 162). South Shore SI companies are spread thin. The 23 Bn had this fire alone. Probably 10 minutes for 22 and 8 Div to get to location. SI still only has same 3 BCs that it had 90 years ago.

Special well-done to all units involved with this very difficult fire. Best wishes for recovery of injured. Also, special well-done for first arriving companies, especially when 2 first alarm engines were unavailable (167, 162). South Shore SI companies are spread thin. The 23 Bn had this fire alone. Probably 10 minutes for 22 and 8 Div to get to location. SI still only has same 3 BCs that it had 90 years ago.
At that time of day, I’d say more of 15-20 mins at least before the 22 and DIV8 get there. Like you said, the 23 operating alone for a while.

What was the need fior the Haz Mat units and Special Protective Clothing Units ? Were Lithium Ion batteries involved or some other chemicals ? If batteries were involved I wonder why the FDNY did not announce that as they have at most of the other Lithium battery fires ?

What was the need fior the Haz Mat units and Special Protective Clothing Units ? Were Lithium Ion batteries involved or some other chemicals ? If batteries were involved I wonder why the FDNY did not announce that as they have at most of the other Lithium battery fires ?
Signal 10-60 initiates a HAZMAT response automatically as a part of the major emergency response (HAZMAT 1, HMTU, Hazmat Battalion, etc), in addition to all of the other components of a 10-60. Not sure about any CPC units if they were assigned.

I have been a professional Fire Officer and Volunteer Fire Officer for over 50 years. 30 of those years with the F.DN.Y. mostly during the FDNY "war years" If the officer drove the rig the officer would have to stay with rig in many cases. If he took the nozzle, he would be just another firefighter and not an officer keeping his company safe from the danger around them. The minute, during the attack phase of the fire the officer touches a tool or a nozzle he is being diverted from the most important job of an officer, keeping his people safe.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Bulldog

Bulldog
I have been a professional Fire Officer and Volunteer Fire Officer for over 50 years. 30 of those years with the F.DN.Y. mostly during the FDNY "war years" If the officer drove the rig the officer would have to stay with rig in many cases. If he took the nozzle, he would be just another firefighter and not an officer keeping his company safe from the danger around them. The minute, during the attack phase of the fire the officer touches a tool or a nozzle he is being diverted from the most important job of an officer, keeping his people safe.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
I've also been an officer for many years (not in FDNY however) and depending on the situation disagree with your point. Many times especially in small departments the only way an officer can keep men save is to be involved in the actual attack. Yes, if he drove the rig quite often would have to stay with it to be pump operator etc. but other than that being on the attack line, on the roof or whatever is quite often the best place for him to be to keep his men safe!

Did anyone hear Car 1 announce their response?
I think I read in another Thread yesterday Car 1 doesn't announce over the air there responding. I didn't see Car 3 on the Rundown (I think thats still the callsign for the Chief of Department, I thought it was Car 2 for the COD until Yesterday). So I doubt C1 is going to be on anything unless C3 or C2 is there.

I think I read in another Thread yesterday Car 1 doesn't announce over the air there responding. I didn't see Car 3 on the Rundown (I think thats still the callsign for the Chief of Department, I thought it was Car 2 for the COD until Yesterday). So I doubt C1 is going to be on anything unless C3 or C2 is there.
Why do you keep posting this nonsense (especially on old posts) when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about??

You’re wrong

Why do you keep posting this nonsense (especially on old posts) when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about??
Not sure how many comments will be made and how many reported comments and answers from the senior members will be needed before an admin finally shuts this shit down. Excuse my language. But as a respected member of this site…or id like to think I am. For my self. Ray Chief JK and others to get pissed off enough is enough

Probably a newbie just looking to boost his post count to seem like he knows what hes talking about. Unlike me, a self-admitted idiot who has no idea what i'm talking about.