1/23/23 Manhattan 4th Alarm Box 1464

I see the CIDS For this building were a bit outdated. Does the Dept conduct a review of these types of things ?

Good morning! This is my first post after about ten years silent reading.
I am from Austria - Europe. I am an EMT with 30 years on the job.
Now i have a question. Can anyone explain what an acting Chief - ADC or ABC is?
Is this a Chief Officer, who has finished his education and now is waiting for promotion? Is this a covering Chief?
Thank you
And: sorry about my bad english, i have no practice......

Acting Deputy Chief or Acting Battalion Chief are the terms used when a Fire Officer of one rank is used to fill in for a Deputy Chief or Battalion Chief when a temporary vacancy exists. Normally the Acting fire officer is on the promotion list for the next rank up. Example I was a FDNY Captain on the Promotion list for Battalion Chief, and if vacancy existed for a Battalion Chief, I would work as an acting Battalion Chief, usually for only one tour of duty, because no real battalion Chief was available to fill that spot. This is very common in the FDNY. All Chiefs in the FDNY do not, normally get any overtime pay, if they work extra time they get, time off. The priority for who gets to be Acting Battalion Chief is 1st. is a Captain on the Promotion list for Battalion Chief, then the most senior Captain in that FDNY Division, due to be working. I was both a senior captain and, on the Battalion, Chief promotion list. in Division 1 in Manhattan, I was acting Battalion Chief a lot. This concept also holds true for a Battalion Chief on the Promotion list to Deputy Chief of Dept. No Deputy Chief is available for a tour, a Battalion Chief can be used as an acting Deputy Chief = Division Chief of Dept. Sometime these Acting Chief titles can be for longer periods of time. A Captain can be long-term Acting Battalion Chie if say he/she was in charge of the Probationary Firefighters School.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired.

Stogermair, there is nothing wrong with your English. I am constantly amazed by the number of people from other countries who know our language, and ashamed that so few Americans know a second language. Welcome to our little show! What part of Austria are you from? To paraphrase Major Dick Winters (from Band of Brothers), "we thought Bavaria was beautiful . . . and then we saw Austria. Wien may be the most beautiful city in the world . . . and Salzburg is simply breathtaking. Don't let it be another ten years before we hear from you again.

Acting Deputy Chief or Acting Battalion Chief are the terms used when a Fire Officer of one rank is used to fill in for a Deputy Chief or Battalion Chief when a temporary vacancy exists. Normally the Acting fire officer is on the promotion list for the next rank up. Example I was a FDNY Captain on the Promotion list for Battalion Chief, and if vacancy existed for a Battalion Chief, I would work as an acting Battalion Chief, usually for only one tour of duty, because no real battalion Chief was available to fill that spot. This is very common in the FDNY. All Chiefs in the FDNY do not, normally get any overtime pay, if they work extra time they get, time off. The priority for who gets to be Acting Battalion Chief is 1st. is a Captain on the Promotion list for Battalion Chief, then the most senior Captain in that FDNY Division, due to be working. I was both a senior captain and, on the Battalion, Chief promotion list. in Division 1 in Manhattan, I was acting Battalion Chief a lot. This concept also holds true for a Battalion Chief on the Promotion list to Deputy Chief of Dept. No Deputy Chief is available for a tour, a Battalion Chief can be used as an acting Deputy Chief = Division Chief of Dept. Sometime these Acting Chief titles can be for longer periods of time. A Captain can be long-term Acting Battalion Chie if say he/she was in charge of the Probationary Firefighters School.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired.
When would a Capt find out that he is acting for the tour? Who tells him? Is this only done on a Battalion level or a Division level? Meaning is the ABC always a captain from that Battalion? If BC 1 needs an ABC and the number 1 guy for promotion is from the capt on E54 does be ABC in BC 1 or is it always from only within the Battalion? is the ABC given BC rate of pay? I assume then a covering Capt would take the Capt spot for the tour?
Sorry for all the questions just curious how it all works compared to my dept
Thanks for your time!

When would a Capt find out that he is acting for the tour? Who tells him? Is this only done on a Battalion level or a Division level? Meaning is the ABC always a captain from that Battalion? If BC 1 needs an ABC and the number 1 guy for promotion is from the capt on E54 does be ABC in BC 1 or is it always from only within the Battalion? is the ABC given BC rate of pay? I assume then a covering Capt would take the Capt spot for the tour?
Sorry for all the questions just curious how it all works compared to my dept
Thanks for your time!
When I called on to be an Acting Battalion Chief I was usually notified the tour before I was to work. Sometimes it was spur of the moment as a Battalion Chief would call in Ill or for an emergency etc.
As a Captain working my scheduled tour it was not OT but designated as ‘working out of title’ meaning I was paid the upper increment that a BC would be paid. Any OT was for ‘Portal to Portal’ OT which is travel time, 45 min to and from.
My spot (Captain) would be filled by a surplus Captain or OT. It was usually done within the Division at all levels. I guess you can call it true ‘trickle down economy’!

When I called on to be an Acting Battalion Chief I was usually notified the tour before I was to work. Sometimes it was spur of the moment as a Battalion Chief would call in Ill or for an emergency etc.
As a Captain working my scheduled tour it was not OT but designated as ‘working out of title’ meaning I was paid the upper increment that a BC would be paid. Any OT was for ‘Portal to Portal’ OT which is travel time, 45 min to and from.
My spot (Captain) would be filled by a surplus Captain or OT. It was usually done within the Division at all levels. I guess you can call it true ‘trickle down economy’!
Thanks for the reply!
What do "surplus" Capt or Lts do when there are no spots to fill? Or does that never happen?

as a covering Lt in the early 90s
we had approximately 30 surplus Lts one night citywide
we were all told to report to 4 truck
we were then paired into twos and given a theatre to inspect
the BC in Bn9 was great...told us we were on our own for dinner and to be back at 4 truck at midnight
upon return...he then told us to report back to the houses we were promoted from
the reason for that was if a Lt. went tapped out after a job he would send the closest surplus Lt
he didnt want to send a guy from L.I. to S.I. or a guy from upstate to queens etc.
an enjoyable night tour was had because of a BC with common sense
great memory

Thanks for the reply!
What do "surplus" Capt or Lts do when there are no spots to fill? Or does that never happen?
I was only Surplus once when I was a Captain assigned to the 15th Division. Surprisingly it was on Labor Day, the end of summer and known for a few last summer parties.
I was told to stay in phone contact, before the cell phone days! My plans included attending the parties going on at Breezy Point in the Rockaway Beach, close to Brooklyn if needed. After ‘calling in’ a few times I ended up at the UFOA Presidents house (Rich Brower) I guess the 15th Division Aide gathered I was having a good time and told me to enjoy the night and forget about calling in anymore. Good idea😁
To answer your question I guess it’s where you are assigned and who’s working. I don’t believe there is a set of rules.

Last edited:
Stogermair, there is nothing wrong with your English. I am constantly amazed by the number of people from other countries who know our language, and ashamed that so few Americans know a second language. Welcome to our little show! What part of Austria are you from? To paraphrase Major Dick Winters (from Band of Brothers), "we thought Bavaria was beautiful . . . and then we saw Austria. Wien may be the most beautiful city in the world . . . and Salzburg is simply breathtaking. Don't let it be another ten years before we hear from you again.
I am on duty now, to do List for this day completed and no call to respond. I can look at nycfire.net.

Thanks a lot to all for the inside informations.

@raybrag:
Grammar and irregular verbs are my nightmare. My daughter is still laughing about me.

My home is about 50 Miles east from Salzburg. We are a touristic area with some Lakes and Mountains. Aquasports, scubadive, climbing or skiing in the winter, all that is possible. Our responce area have a population from about 65 000 People, so we have to respond for about 2000 calls a year.

Vienna, our capital is of course a beautiful place, but our dreams are from NY City. One time in my life i would like to walk across the Central
Park or vist the 9/11 Memorial.

I am on duty now, to do List for this day completed and no call to respond. I can look at nycfire.net.

@raybrag:
Grammar and irregular verbs are my nightmare. My daughter is still laughing about me.

My home is about 50 Miles east from Salzburg. We are a touristic area with some Lakes and Mountains. Aquasports, scubadive, climbing or skiing in the winter, all that is possible. Our responce area have a population from about 65 000 People, so we have to respond for about 2000 calls a year.

Vienna, our capital is of course a beautiful place, but our dreams are from NY City. One time in my life i would like to walk across the Central
My sisters' father in law was firefighter in Piber, Austria. Went to the fire house. The cleanest most organized place ever. RIP Herbert Assigal

@raybrag:

Hi to Austria from Northern Germany. I just write in English. I recommend an organised trip with a special firefighters travel agency, "Feuerwehrreisen" f.e. See their trip videos on youtube. It's great!