Administrator

3 firefighters dead, 1 critically injured in southwest Baltimore fire​

by DEMI GOUGH & BRANDI PROCTOR| WBFF Staff
Monday, January 24th 2022

-accc-6df9335ab4f2-large16x9_firefightersportraits.jpg
f-bc6c-7c8d8321a850-medium16x9_FIRESTRICKERSTREET4.jpg
b-a295-4186-b076-b3c8662aa790-medium16x9_stricker2.jpg

42-97ad-1adc9b9bc6cf-medium16x9_FIRESTRICKERSTREET.jpg
Portraits of the fallen firefighters (Baltimore City Fire Department)
Facebook Share Icon Twitter Share Icon
BALTIMORE (WBFF) —Three firefighters have died, and a fourth is critically injured, after a vacant rowhome collapsed in a fire in southwest Baltimore this morning.

Mayor Brandon Scott said in a statement:
Today, Baltimore has lost three of the bravest among us: Lt. Paul Butrim, Firefighter/Paramedic Kelsey Sadler, and EMT/Firefighter Kenny Lacayo. All made the ultimate sacrifice. For that, Baltimore owes them the deepest gratitude and respect. These heroes of the Baltimore City Fire Department were responding to a 2-alarm fire in a vacant home in the 200 block of South Stricker Street at 6:00am when the structure collapsed. A fourth EMT/Firefighter, John McMaster, remains at the hospital in critical but stable condition. This is a gut wrenching tragedy for our city, the Baltimore City Fire Department, and most importantly the families of our firefighters. There are no words to describe the pain and the severity of the losses we have suffered today. My heart is with the Firefighters, their families, and the entire Baltimore City Fire Department who put the lives and safety of others before their own wellbeing each and every day. I ask that all of Baltimore keep them in our prayers during this extremely difficult time.
Baltimore City Fire Department Chief Niles Ford also said: “Every day our Firefighters, our first responders put their lives on the line for the sake of others. Today, three Firefighters lost their lives in service to our city, and another remains in critical condition. From this moment, we will honor those we lost today, for their bravery, their courage, their love for helping others and the respect they had for the Baltimore City Fire Department."

Shock Trauma chief physician Thomas Scalea said two of the firefighters died of cardiac arrest at the scene.

Gov. Larry Hogan has ordered flags lowered to half-staff.

“Our hearts are broken for the entire Baltimore City Fire Department as three of our bravest have fallen in the line of duty. A fourth firefighter was critically injured and is on life support. Each and every day, our firefighters and first responders answer the call and are ready to run into danger—this is our worst nightmare," Hogan said in a statement.

“This morning, I spoke to both Mayor Scott and Chief Ford, and at my direction, the State Fire Marshal and the Maryland Department of Emergency Management continue to provide assistance to the city. Effective immediately, I have ordered flags lowered to half-staff in remembrance of these fallen heroes. I call on all Marylanders to honor the memories of these brave souls, and pray for their families and fellow firefighters," he said.

Multiple firefighters called for a "Mayday" after being trapped early Monday morning. The call came out around 6 a.m. for a fire in the 200 block of S. Stricker St.

"Our members are going through a whole lot today," he said in an afternoon press conference.

Crews arrived to see heavy fire showing from all three floors of a three-story row home.

A special rescue team was called to assist with the fire.

Fire Chief Niles Ford says one firefighter was immediately pulled out and the other 3 remained trapped. He said crews removed piles of debris in order to locate the trapped members.

Within an hour of the fire, two of the trapped firefighters were removed and transported to Shock Trauma where they were listed in serious condition.

The home was vacant.

The same abandoned home at the center of the fire, also caught fire 7 years ago. Another firefighter was injured fighting that fire.

mack

Administrator
Fire building - pre-fire:

bcfd.gif

Fire building - after fire:

FB.gif

Last edited:
Iconic American journalist (still quoted regularly in the press) H. L. Mencken's (1880-1956) German speaking family moved to 1524 Hollins Street when he was three years old. He would live there off and on until he died 73 years later. His house is now an historic Baltimore landmark.
Engine 14, coming from 1908 Hollins, would have made a right turn just past his house onto S. Stricker Street.

REST IN PEACE TO THE THREE & PRAYERS FOR A FULL RECOVERY FOR THE FOURTH.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Dreadful. God Bless Those Who Serve, and Those Who Mourn.
Peace & Comfort to Family and Friends, BCFD.

QUOTE..... Matt Dietrich

On Wednesday, February 2, the entire Baltimore City Fire Department will be placed out of service. All thirty-three engine companies, seventeen truck companies, our heavy rescue company, battalion chiefs, EMS transport units, and EMS district supervisors will go out of service to allow every member of the department to pay honor to the three BCFD heroes who sacrificed their lives in service of others on Monday.
I’m not sure such a feat has ever been attempted for a department of our size or a city of our activity.
This would not be possible if not for the dedication and commitment of our regional partners, throughout Maryland, DC, and surrounding states, sending resources, manpower, and vehicles to cover our calls for us. This is the single greatest show of brother and sisterhood I’ve witnessed in my years in the fire service.
To all who will be a part of the backfill on Wednesday, thanks you! Be safe! Make us proud! Take care of our city! Enjoy the big show! To those traveling to attending the memorial service, thank you for your commitment to an overwhelming show of camaraderie and brotherhood.
Thanks to everyone who reached out to check on me over the last week. Thank you for the support and prayers for my work family. Please continue to pray for those who are hurting and grieving, and those for whom the grieving has not yet started. You will never know how much it means to so many.......UNQUOTE.

QUOTE..... Matt Dietrich

On Wednesday, February 2, the entire Baltimore City Fire Department will be placed out of service. All thirty-three engine companies, seventeen truck companies, our heavy rescue company, battalion chiefs, EMS transport units, and EMS district supervisors will go out of service to allow every member of the department to pay honor to the three BCFD heroes who sacrificed their lives in service of others on Monday.
I’m not sure such a feat has ever been attempted for a department of our size or a city of our activity.
This would not be possible if not for the dedication and commitment of our regional partners, throughout Maryland, DC, and surrounding states, sending resources, manpower, and vehicles to cover our calls for us. This is the single greatest show of brother and sisterhood I’ve witnessed in my years in the fire service.
To all who will be a part of the backfill on Wednesday, thanks you! Be safe! Make us proud! Take care of our city! Enjoy the big show! To those traveling to attending the memorial service, thank you for your commitment to an overwhelming show of camaraderie and brotherhood.
Thanks to everyone who reached out to check on me over the last week. Thank you for the support and prayers for my work family. Please continue to pray for those who are hurting and grieving, and those for whom the grieving has not yet started. You will never know how much it means to so many.......UNQUOTE.
Incredible show of brotherhood from the neighboring departments to allow all members to pay their respects.