10-18 Signal

Curious about what some Bn Chiefs are dropping down from, when they transmit, “ dropping down to an 18”?
Were they using more companies? If so they seem to be never mentioned. I’m referring to a normal assignment on a box.
Why not just transmit a 10-18 & if box assignment was out of order, tell dispatcher what two companies are being used. Again, just curious.

^^^ Den .....scroll thru this link for some info on how long this "misnomer" has been in use.....ridiculous that it continues.... https://www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/2-3-22-brooklyn-ah-uc-box-3246.69169/#post-230406
Thanks, Jack. It reminded me of something that just catches on & not as salty as, & I’m sure you remember a few Officers transmitting this way, “Drop the box”instead of 10-30 or later 10-75. Please, we know you’re busy, but so are many other companies.😂

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Curious about what some Bn Chiefs are dropping down from, when they transmit, “ dropping down to an 18”?
Were they using more companies? If so they seem to be never mentioned. I’m referring to a normal assignment on a box.
Why not just transmit a 10-18 & if box assignment was out of order, tell dispatcher what two companies are being used. Again, just curious.
It was used at time when a chief said using 1&1 the rest fast, or 1& 2, or even 2 &1. If they had a rescue or Squad on the scene & was using them along with 1 & 1. Once the Rescue & or Squad was released, the I/C dropped down to 1 & 1 the term was used. Its a slang term that became widely used.

Your reply states that more than a 1& 1 were originally being used. I never hear the Bn transmit the identity of the other units, if used, just ”dropping down”. Wouldn’t just 10-18 suffice, if other units weren’t used? Seems like using the term implies more units were used.🤷‍♂️ Again, just curious. I’m taking up.

This "dropping down to an 18" creates a few problems.
There are times when -
any or all of the 2nd due units may arrive first, and the chief uses them..
The chief may use more than one truck to conduct an investigation.
Now, the above message is transmitted without disclosing unit identities. The result is that the 2nd due units are automatically made available and the (actually available) first due units are marked unavailable and given credit for the work. Also, the 2nd truck that may have been used gets a "no duty" mark.
Part of the problem is that the dispatchers should be trained to recognize the trigger statement (going down to...) and when they hear that, they should challenge the person transmitting to disclose whether or not more than 1+1 was initially used, and more importantly - question the identity of the units being used so that proper credit for work can be given. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is done either. Just today, Jan. 6th I heard this on the Queens radio three times, and no questions were asked.

The Signal 18 and then the 10-18 was meant to be a "stop signal" to other units that were still responding, not on scene. Dropping down to 1 & 1 would be the proper terminology when units were on scene.

"Dropping down" means you used more than 1 & 1, but you are making sure they don't get credit. It's bad language.

I think it's a viral phenomenon. One guy hears someone say it, then he repeats it, without thinking about what he is saying. Like the rampant misuse of "K".

Saying "using 1 & 1 the rest fast" (meaning the additional units are standing fast, pending investigation) is the right way to do it. It can become a 10-18 for whatever or you can say that you used whatever combination of units was needed.

"Dropping down" means you used more than 1 & 1, but you are making sure they don't get credit. It's bad language.

I think it's a viral phenomenon. One guy hears someone say it, then he repeats it, without thinking about what he is saying. Like the rampant misuse of "K".

Saying "using 1 & 1 the rest fast" (meaning the additional units are standing fast, pending investigation) is the right way to do it. It can become a 10-18 for whatever or you can say that you used whatever combination of units was needed.
Exactly. One wouldn’t use that phrase at a 2nd alarm under control, that they’re dropping down to a 75. 10-18 is the signal & as Scoobyd stated, ID units used if out of assignment sequence.
Thanks all for your comments.

There was never a telegraph signal 18. The highest number was 17 which identified a ladder company relocation.

From the Regulations for the Uniformed Force ; Radio Signals: 18. All units responding, with the exception of first due engine, ladder and Battalion Chief, are to return to quarters and are available for duty.

Also: 6.1.4. Battalion Chiefs shall, when in command, cause the prompt return of all units not required at alarms.....

The only other radio signal was 2.9. :Marine Company not required, return to Quarters

Now 10-2 is used to return units NOT on the scene and not required, that now includes Marine Companies. The marine Companies were among the 1st. F.DN.Y. Units to get radios, I think during W.W. II.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY E-26 retired.

Now 10-2 is used to return units NOT on the scene and not required, that now includes Marine Companies. The marine Companies were among the 1st. F.DN.Y. Units to get radios, I think during W.W. II.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY E-26 retired.
Speaking of marine units, there has been a spike in them being assigned to land boxes that are close to the water. I recently heard M-9 responding to a stove fire in a NYCHA building on SI across the street from the water. Assuming this new push is so that the marine units are there if needed to supply. But some boxes and building locations they're assigned to make more sense than others. This is just an observation I’ve made over the last few months. Almost always in this case, the IC says the marine units can go 10-8. Either way, the marine units runs are increasing because of it.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Years back marine units were assigned on many of the boxes near the water front. Depending upon the location, many, many years ago, two boats might have been assigned on the box, and others on higher alarms. At one time FDNY had 10 operational full time fire boats through the city when they all had engine company numbers.

As I understand it, being assigned and responding are different things.
The marine companies prepare to respond, but wait to pull the plug.

While I understand why that makes sense I can’t help but think if they are actually needed how much time has been wasted by not responding. Guess it’s situational depending on box and location.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Today I see the Marine Co leaving quarters quickly. The computer dispatch system has changed a lot of things and can tell when the engine is started & if a company is moving .

My experience with the Marine Division goes back almost 40 yrs ago when I covered as a new Lieutenant. The operation of getting the boat underway was not as quick as responding land units and the travel distance and associated time was always taken into consideration. Foremost was the type of minor response, ie ADV’s, rubbish etc.usually necessitated a monitoring situation. Pier and boat fires were the priority or when the Pilot who had great knowledge of the harbor would advise we respond. Some responses could take 20+ min depending on tides and wind.
Back than the Fireboats were large expensive pieces of machinery and ‘OLD’. They were maintained by the crew like they owned them. Constantly chipping, painting and fixing so they were not abused for the little stuff. What I hear the new ones are quite an improvement.
One quick story. While covering M6 during a summer tour we responded to Third Alarm along the Williamsburg waterfront. As I reported in to the 11 Division to tell him where we were I was asked if M6 could supply water to the fire which was two blocks off the pier. Since I was new I asked the Pilot and Engineer and was told that we were sitting in the East River (duh) and how much of it was needed!
E-221 ( I think) backed down to the pier and tied the Marine 6 hose to the back of the rig and we unrolled hose off the boat two blocks and supplied a manifold and gave them the East River!
Great experience for a new Lieutenant and fun.

mack

Administrator
There was never a telegraph signal 18. The highest number was 17 which identified a ladder company relocation.

From the Regulations for the Uniformed Force ; Radio Signals: 18. All units responding, with the exception of first due engine, ladder and Battalion Chief, are to return to quarters and are available for duty.

Also: 6.1.4. Battalion Chiefs shall, when in command, cause the prompt return of all units not required at alarms.....

The only other radio signal was 2.9. :Marine Company not required, return to Quarters

The Bells - Telegraph Alarm System - Preliminary Signals.png