12/2/23 No More 5 Man Engines

Weren't there some 6 man companies or did those get bumped down a while ago?

We say 4 man engine but only 3 guys are stretching the line. If MPO needs help to hook up now just 2 guys stretching. So maybe the people in the City will vote the right people in the next election. Probably see more line of duty injuries with less help on the line. Lines in place extinguish the fire, the sooner the better. The "can" can only put out some fire, not an inferno.

If FDNY doesn't want to staff 5 man engines. I would just say bring back the Auxilliaries. But with the damn way the city going now I know damn well that ain't happening.

If FDNY doesn't want to staff 5 man engines. I would just say bring back the Auxilliaries. But with the damn way the city going now I know damn well that ain't happening.
I was a Auxiliary from 1968 to 1975. I did not ride during the strike. I would not have ridden after to 1975 lay-offs. I looked upon those two specific instances as a civilian volunteer taking the place of a uniformed member.
In this case (5 man engine down to 4 man engine), it is the same circumstance (i.e. a civilian volunteer taking the place of a uniformed member). The City has an obligation to its citizens to provide a response to a fire that will extinguish the fire in the quickest possible manner. The city also has an obligation to its Firefighters to provide the safest and most expedient means to carry out their mission and to keep manpower at optimum levels with properly trained and vetted personnel.
It seems the Fire Department often bears the brunt of City Hall's poor choices and decisions and the members and the populace pays the price.

AFAIK the “5” man engine companies only refers to firefighters and not the officer. So the companies are going from 6 on the rig to 5 on the rig. Not 5 to 4. Just for clarity