2/23/24 Manhattan 2nd Alarm Box 1647

"Sugar Hill" has beautiful buildings.

NB- todays heroic and triumphant operation is almost directly across the street from the site of the FF Mike Davidson E 69 LODD fire. RIP.

Which is why Rescue Companies have PD Freq playing in quarters
FDNY Rescues are listening to PD frequency to get information on incidents that FD is assigned or should be assigned to . Many times FD units have to rely on PD radio to get the correct info on pin jobs, building collapses etc.They are not responding to shootings or hostage situations because they should not be anywhere near an incident of that sort .
That being said , ESU should not be responding to fires for the same reason.

FDNY Rescues are listening to PD frequency to get information on incidents that FD is assigned or should be assigned to . Many times FD units have to rely on PD radio to get the correct info on pin jobs, building collapses etc.They are not responding to shootings or hostage situations because they should not be anywhere near an incident of that sort .
That being said , ESU should not be responding to fires for the same reason.
I couldn't agree with you more. Well said

Many times FD units have to rely on PD radio to get the correct info on pin jobs, building collapses etc.
My brother always had his scanner on local PD frequencies in Westchester since they'd be first onscene to any 911 or similar call. Id say a good 80% of the time he'd be out the door and in his car rolling to the station or the incident site before 60 Control toned out the department.

“{ FDNY BOX 1647 ~ MANHATTAN }”…..”{ READ FULL DESCRIPTION BELOW }”…..”{ VERY, VERY SHORT VIDEO OF THE AFTERMATH OF A 2ND ALARM FIRE WHERE FDNY MEMBERS CONDUCTED 3 VERY RARE ROPE RESCUES. JUST FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AS DESCRIBED IN THIS VIDEO WE DID NOT GET TO THIS FIRE TO FILM OPERATIONS DUE ANOTHER FIRE BREAKING OUT ERY CLOSE BY AS WE WERE ON OUR WAY TO THIS ONE. AS WE GOT OFF THE HIGHWAY THEY TRANSMITTED THE 10-75 FOR A FIRE 4 BLOCKS AWAY FROM OUR EXIT. SO, WE CHOSE TO GO TO IT AS THE 2ND ALARM FIRE WAS STARTING TO WINDING DOWN. THE VIDEO TO THAT FIRE IS ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL }”…..

My first time hearing NYPD aviation make a radio communication like this. Were they just in the area when the fire broke out?
I'm just wondering how they were "10-84," were on our frequency when they are starting to encrypt their own.; and knew to tell MD that victims were on the "three-four side"?

I'm just wondering how they were "10-84," were on our frequency when they are starting to encrypt their own.; and knew to tell MD that victims were on the "three-four side"?
They were probably in the air already, heard it over their SOD channel and took it in. They fly the Air Recon Chiefs and are very familiar with our terminology. While they're flying, they're listening to the chief's transmissions to dispatch or the command channel.

Definitely not a fan of NY Daily News editorials & most reporting, but I gotta give credit when due - 3 LSR rescues on the News' front page.
NY Post blew this one - Page 23????? - really!!!!!!!
I don't remember 3 LSR rescues in 1 day, let alone the same job
Pretty sure it was 2 LSR rescues at the midtown job in 2022 & 2 in midtown with R1 in 1991

Last edited:
Still in the list

Car 35 (Director of Counseling Service Unit)
Car 36A (Chaplain)
Car 36B (Chaplain)
Car 36C (Chaplain)
Car 36D (Chaplain)
Car 36F (Chaplain)
Car 36G (Chaplain)
Car 36H (Chaplain)
Car 36I (Chaplain)
Car-90 (Mayor of New York)
Car 421 (Acting Command Chief)
Car 422 (Acting Command Chief)