2/7/22 Manhattan 10-77 Box 0689

Address: 401 7th Ave. at West 33rd St.

Fire on the 2nd floor setback of a 23 story 200x385 Hotel (Hotel Pennsylvania)

Box loaded up due calls.

B-7: Go with the 10-77 - 14:07

L-4 FAST, E-3 HRN, E-26 CFR, B-6 Safety, E-39 w/ HR-2

B-7: We have fire on the 4th floor setback - In the process of stretching a line - 14:17

Box number changed from 0713 to 0689

B-7: We located the fire on the 2nd floor setback - It's an unoccupied building - 1 L/S/O - Water on the fire - 14:19

D-1: AVFKD - PWH - 14:34

FC: Per D-1, Under Control - 14:42

Duration: 41 Min.

Maybe:
E-1, 34, 65, 54, 3N, 26C
L-30 (act 24), 21, 4F, 7, 3
B-7, 9, 8, 6S
R-1
SQ-18
D-1
FC, SB, RB
RAC-1
Car-2h

Relocations:
E-76 to E-54
E-258 to E-26
E-226 to E-3
L-8 to L-24
L-163 to L-7
L-49 to L-30
B-49 to B-8

0713.jpg

Last edited:
E 26 four blocks away and they get Lobby Control. Either they were on another run or its Midtown traffic.

Saw a video clip, 30 Truck has their aerial up at this job.......don't see them on the rundown

Pretty old hotel that closed about 2 years - for a long time it was known as the Statler Hilton - went to several college and business functions there over the years - was a pretty nice hotel back in the day

Does anybody remember a Fifth Alarm there back in the late '70s / early '80s ?.....I remember responding to a Fifth Alarm with R*2 in the Hotel then called the Statler........we forced I don't know how many room doors on I don't know how many floors ? ....some doors had been unlocked so to prevent redundant Primary searching as there would be no force marks on the door we placed a pillow case from a bed over the top of the door ......R*1 was there also & there was a photo in WNYF of a few of them on a stairway afterwards & Joe Angelini RIP 9-11 was in it......funny story about that Fire was we were in our Rig near our then FH on Carlton Ave & over the Scanner in the Rig we heard the Job come in & after awhile we were Dispatched as the very large Hotel was heavily occupied in the middle of the night & there were many reports of trapped occupants ...on the way there the Preliminary & Progress reports from the Lobby Command Post were very annoying as they were almost drowned out by background noise from a blaring alarm.....this went on as we were responding & Manh. was asking for a repeat of most transmissions ....as we were approaching the bldg entrance two NYPD ESU Men were coming from the other direction ...one had a short ladder & the other had a Halligan....we all entered at the same time & they went directly to the area with the blaring alarm & one got on the ladder & smashed the alarm speaker cone off the wall with the Halligan....we all wondered how come nobody there all this time had not done the same..... I always remembered this & as a Chief one of the things I was cognizant of was an alarm contributing to interference with communications....at many serious store / taxpayer jobs I had if the alarm was blaring (usually attached to the front wall of the bldg outside) I would tell the FAST Officer standing there to have a FF grab a 10 foot Hook & silence the alarm speaker....this could usually be done by severing at least one wire as the speaker or enclosure was pulled from the bldg.

Last edited: