2 Fire Trucks Collide, 1 keeps on going...

I don't know who or what the problem is in that region but, there's always some kind of pre-school craziness going on in the 3 Counties that border D.C., Anne Arundel, Montgomery & Prince George.

You ain't kidding. I heard of major issues between Kentland FD and County Fire, cutting each other off and there is even a youtube video, of them physically bumping over each other to get the line to the front door. Madness!!!

They also had 2 other incidents a few years ago. One where a Company arrived and parked their rig on top of charged hoses, supposedly it was intentional and two, there were reports of interior crews messing with SCBA's on other members. Don't care who's to blame, it's a shame that they treat each other so poorly and have no regard for each others safety.   :mad:

We've heard and read the stories so frequently they're not permitted in our firehouse, no telling what they would do.

I usually just sit here and read the posts, but I figured I could add a bit to this one. I think the fire service in the area you brought has gotten a really bad rep. I have been riding there for over 6 years now and it really isn't the wild place some people make it out to be.

Sure there is competition amoung companies to get first water on the fire, and there may be a few people who take this a bit too far. Those are the videos that everyone happens to see. From the stories I have heard this same type of competition and racing to jobs takes place in many areas of Brooklyn.

Don't get me wrong I am not condoning crashing into another fire truck and continuing into the assignment thats just stupid. I am saying that a little a bit of competition can keep you on your toes and make you that much better at your trade.

kidfrmqns said:
I am saying that a little a bit of competition can keep you on your toes and make you that much better at your trade.

Well kidfrmqns, I don't post too much either, but your post requires a reply.

You need to grow up!

This is not a TRADE - like a carpenter or mechanic!

We work together as a team to ensure that NONE OF US DIE!!!  Some guys think going to fires is f**king game!  When one of the brothers is killed or seriously injured, all of a sudden, it's not a big game anymore.

This immaturity is BEYOND COMPREHENSION!!!

There is absolutely, 100%, NO REASON for anything like this to take place!  Whether it happens in Brooklyn or not.  (I worked there and didn't see it.  You are in Maryland.(?!?!?!)

Bulldog

Bulldog
rdm258 said:
Here is another County and Vollie competeing for the door, this did result in a physical altercation!!!!!!
It kind of looks like the county unit was in the wrong here.  There was certainly no need for them to drive up onto the grass and it resulted in bad apparatus placement.  Kentland was first in and had the first line to the door!  It seems like the county is trying to do everything they can to discredit this fire department that has survived and prospered after the county withdrew county manpower from the station.  While not directly involved in the situation everything I've read seems to indicate that the county is the bad boy in this situation.

Never looked at it like that. Good Point. But getting water on fire is just part of the job. From the video didn't seem that anyone picked up a hydrant, doubt a walk around was done, and running like that is just plain immature, dangerous, and  unnecessary cause of injuries. There used to be a County Truck at Kentalnd's Station?

Being humble in the fire service and not worrying about competing with your fellow firefighters will make you a better firefighter and person.

One other item to add. kidfrmqns: The whole region has a bad rap due to the maniacal actions of the members. Unfortunately, no one appears to have the fortitude to stop it. It will stop after a catastrophe occurs.

Competition to get first water? What do you drive like hell to get in first and beat out another company? If you pull up together, is it a race to see who gets the line to the fire first?  That's what that video clip seems to show. Seems like unhealthy competition to me. Leads to putting the blinders on when the main focus is having first water on the fire.

Bulldog said:
rdm258 said:
There used to be a County Truck at Kentalnd's Station?
I'm not sure if there was a county truck at the station but there were paid county firefighters there prior to 1995.  Here is a link to the history of Kentland: www.myfirecompanies.com/filelock/1186881240KentlandVFD.pdf

In most stations the County firefighters staff the volunteer apparatus. The amount of carreer staffing usually depends on the volunteer staffing of that station. Some stations have daywork (7-3) Monday - Friday with volunteers staffing the remained and then some stations have 24/7 coverage with carreer members.

It seams to me that someone is going to get hurt real bad or God forbid Killed.  The bosses have to do something about this and take a hard line against these guys.  What happens if any of these companys send out a Mayday will the others stand outside and still fight.  These guys need to take a look at themselves.  Hey maybe even read the Firemans Prayer.

Wheres the Brotherhood.