Probably:
E034, E054
T021, L004
BC9
R1, R4, SQ18
RB, SB, TSU
M1, 6, MB, Marine Tac

Last edited:

“{ FDNY BOX 0799 ~ MANHATTAN }”…..”{ FDNY AND NYPD CONDUCTING A **MAJOR WATER RESCUE MATRIX** OPERATION IN SEARCH OF PERSON WHO APPARENTLY FELL INTO THE HUDSON RIVER. THIS OCCURRED AROUND 12TH AVENUE BETWEEN 42ND AND 43RD STREETS IN THE MIDTOWN WESTSIDE OF MANHATTAN IN NEW YORK CITY. SADLY THE SEARCHES CAME UP EMPTY }“…..

Last edited:
Shaking my head. After all these years nothing has changed. FDNY doing their thing and ESU on the other side of the auditorium doing their thing. No apparent joint command or working together. At one time R2 was the only dive designated Rescue Company while ESU had divers and gear on all their Trucks and RMPs. Back then ESU had better training and equipment but looking at this scene you quickly see that FDNY is better equipped and has a huge force multiplier to accomplish the mission. I don’t see any pony bottles (backup tank) on ESU ensembles like the R1 and R4 divers have. FDNY divers arrive on scene 80-90% dressed out in dry suit and tank/bc - NYPD has to get dressed out after arriving on scene and has very little initial support to assist members into suits, place ladders in water, and set up subsurface comm system. FDNY places 30+ support members on scene rapidly FDNY has tremendous surface support and even has members suited up in immersion suits and rescue torpedo should a non diver fall in the water. FDNY Deconning all personnel and equipment that made contact with water - curious what NYPD ESU does to address that. It becomes quite clear that this is a duplicated effort and disjointed. ESU should keep there dive operations limited to evidence searches and let FDNY handle the water rescues and body recoveries. JMO. And I’m sure some will take issue with this post. Stay safe

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Shaking my head. After all these years nothing has changed. FDNY doing their thing and ESU on the other side of the auditorium doing their thing. No apparent joint command or working together. At one time R2 was the only dive designated Rescue Company while ESU had divers and gear on all their Trucks and RMPs. Back then ESU had better training and equipment but looking at this scene you quickly see that FDNY is better equipped and has a huge force multiplier to accomplish the mission. I don’t see any pony bottles (backup tank) on ESU ensembles like the R1 and R4 divers have. FDNY divers arrive on scene 80-90% dressed out in dry suit and tank/bc - NYPD has to get dressed out after arriving on scene and has very little initial support to assist members into suits, place ladders in water, and set up subsurface comm system. FDNY places 30+ support members on scene rapidly FDNY has tremendous surface support and even has members suited up in immersion suits and rescue torpedo should a non diver fall in the water. FDNY Deconning all personnel and equipment that made contact with water - curious what NYPD ESU does to address that. It becomes quite clear that this is a duplicated effort and disjointed. ESU should keep there dive operations limited to evidence searches and let FDNY handle the water rescues and body recoveries. JMO. And I’m sure some will take issue with this post. Stay safe Just adding one more part of PD water rescue - their Air Rescue Units also have divers. While I’m not sure whether those members are picked up after the incident goes out, that seems to be a very effective - and quick -

Shaking my head. After all these years nothing has changed. FDNY doing their thing and ESU on the other side of the auditorium doing their thing. No apparent joint command or working together. At one time R2 was the only dive designated Rescue Company while ESU had divers and gear on all their Trucks and RMPs. Back then ESU had better training and equipment but looking at this scene you quickly see that FDNY is better equipped and has a huge force multiplier to accomplish the mission. I don’t see any pony bottles (backup tank) on ESU ensembles like the R1 and R4 divers have. FDNY divers arrive on scene 80-90% dressed out in dry suit and tank/bc - NYPD has to get dressed out after arriving on scene and has very little initial support to assist members into suits, place ladders in water, and set up subsurface comm system. FDNY places 30+ support members on scene rapidly FDNY has tremendous surface support and even has members suited up in immersion suits and rescue torpedo should a non diver fall in the water. FDNY Deconning all personnel and equipment that made contact with water - curious what NYPD ESU does to address that. It becomes quite clear that this is a duplicated effort and disjointed. ESU should keep there dive operations limited to evidence searches and let FDNY handle the water rescues and body recoveries. JMO. And I’m sure some will take issue with this post. Stay safe
Just adding one more part of PD water rescue - their Air Rescue Units also have divers. While I’m not sure whether those members are picked up after the incident goes out or if they are always on the helicopter; the ability to get divers to the victim rapidly is definitely a plus. A rescue diver dropped feet from the incident and often in hard to reach places doesn’t hurt!

Like I said - just one more facet of PD Water Rescue

For reference, here’s a video of them in operation (6 minute mark):

Just adding one more part of PD water rescue - their Air Rescue Units also have divers. While I’m not sure whether those members are picked up after the incident goes out or if they are always on the helicopter; the ability to get divers to the victim rapidly is definitely a plus. A rescue diver dropped feet from the incident and often in hard to reach places doesn’t hurt!

Like I said - just one more facet of PD Water Rescue

For reference, here’s a video of them in operation (6 minute mark):
FRV. Your point is well taken. I forgot about Aviation’s Air-Sea Rescue component. Definitely a great asset and a role NYPD should keep and maintain. But for reasons stated in my original post, the ESU REPs and Trucks should not be competing with FDNY for shore based rescue and body recovery ops. Thanks for sharing Stay safe

FRV. Your point is well taken. I forgot about Aviation’s Air-Sea Rescue component. Definitely a great asset and a role NYPD should keep and maintain. But for reasons stated in my original post, the ESU REPs and Trucks should not be competing with FDNY for shore based rescue and body recovery ops. Thanks for sharing Stay safe
If there is a drown in the Hudson River in Harlem, ESS*2 will beat R*1 or R*2 every time

If there is a drown in the Hudson River in Harlem, ESS*2 will beat R*1 or R*2 every time
You are correct- and possibly Speutyn Dyval, and Riverdale as well depending on where the Adam and Boy units are. My point should be that common sense should prevail. But it won’t. So while we can discuss and offer solutions, not much will change and hopefully everyone works Safely. The worst was Lt. Vic Holyfield of ESU who would publicly, clearly disparage and trash talk FDNY on the ride along 911 type TV shows.

You are correct- and possibly Speutyn Dyval, and Riverdale as well depending on where the Adam and Boy units are. My point should be that common sense should prevail. But it won’t. So while we can discuss and offer solutions, not much will change and hopefully everyone works Safely. The worst was Lt. Vic Holyfield of ESU who would publicly, clearly disparage and trash talk FDNY on the ride along 911 type TV shows.
That was 20 years ago, of course I have a much less experience to many of our members but I've never seen any issues or tension between NYPD or FDNY. I think most of the old rivalry is only in the Colosseum nowadays. I've seen ESS*2 start cutting with L*40 and then turn it over to R*1. Only seen good cooperation on jobs, with logical turn over on recoveries and crime scenes.

That was 20 years ago, of course I have a much less experience to many of our members but I've never seen any issues or tension between NYPD or FDNY. I think most of the old rivalry is only in the Colosseum nowadays. I've seen ESS*2 start cutting with L*40 and then turn it over to R*1. Only seen good cooperation on jobs, with logical turn over on recoveries and crime scenes.
That is good news. As always , thank you for your info and wisdom. Stay safe brother