3/23/22 Brooklyn 3rd Alarm Box 2493

The "urgent" transmission is used to stop all BS transmissions and unit with the urgent to go ahead with their message. Of course this is not knowing the circumstances upon arrival at the scene.
As per the communications manual, 10-70 is the only 10 code that warrants an urgent transmission. This policy isn’t always adhered to, but it remains in department publications.

The "urgent" transmission is used to stop all BS transmissions and unit with the urgent to go ahead with their message. Of course this is not knowing the circumstances upon arrival at the scene.
Well aware and have given urgents in my career. Like has been said - sounds like 250 and 147 had their hands full when pulling up in the middle of the night. If the 10-30 signal was given, and all types of accompanying reports being given by the dispatchers, maybe the bosses felt the BETTER move was to get off the rig and start trying to save lives than give the obvious 10-75 over the air when by all accounts everyone knew they were going to work.

As per the communications manual, 10-70 is the only 10 code that warrants an urgent transmission. This policy isn’t always adhered to, but it remains in department publications.
Not sure what you mean by the “only ten code” but sorry this is incorrect information. Giving 10-75’s or greater and about 9 other circumstances are spelled out in communications chapter 8 as reasons to give an urgent over the department radio.

Not sure what you mean by the “only ten code” but sorry this is incorrect information. Giving 10-75’s or greater and about 9 other circumstances are spelled out in communications chapter 8 as reasons to give an urgent over the department radio.
Apologies, I reread the section of the comms manual I was referring to. The limitation of urgent to the following conditions seems to apply to Handie Talkie, not necesasarily borough frequencies:

A. Non-life threatening injury;
B. 10-70;
C. Interior attack discontinued;
D. Danger of collapse;
E. Fire entering exposures;
F. Loss of water;
E. Anytime a Change in Conditions will Severely Impact an Operation or the Safety of Members (which I guess could apply here).

Apologies, I reread the section of the comms manual I was referring to. The limitation of urgent to the following conditions seems to apply to Handie Talkie, not necesasarily borough frequencies:

A. Non-life threatening injury;
B. 10-70;
C. Interior attack discontinued;
D. Danger of collapse;
E. Fire entering exposures;
F. Loss of water;
E. Anytime a Change in Conditions will Severely Impact an Operation or the Safety of Members (which I guess could apply here).
Yes - but these are for like you said handie talkie urgents.

these are for borough dispatcher urgents:

8.6.1 Types of Urgent Radio Messages
A. Second or greater alarms
B. Calls for additional companies, ambulances, special units, or "10-75"
C. Dispatcher’s orders to units away from quarters to respond to alarms
D. Deployment of units or important messages to units at fire or emergency
operations
E. Report of apparatus breakdown while unit is responding to alarm
F. Transmission of alarms, and broadcast of address of fire
G. Report that unit has stopped to extinguish fire while responding to another alarm
H. Signal 10-70

operations
G. Report that unit has stopped to extinguish fire while responding to another alarm
H. Signal 10-70

Wonder which of these provisions a 10-48 would fall under. 10-48 seems like one that would fall under "Urgent"

operations
H. Signal 10-70
Thanks for the clarification

No need to give an urgent on a 10-75 unless you have radio traffic and need to cut in.
If the radio is quiet a 10-75 is sufficient.
Exactly...if the Air is clear just call the Boro....Urgent can be used when necessary to clear the Air but not necessary otherwise (unless the dispatcher is busy & doesn't answer right away).

Exactly...if the Air is clear just call the Boro....Urgent can be used when necessary to clear the Air but not necessary otherwise (unless the dispatcher is busy & doesn't answer right away).
Everyone has heard the dispatcher, when communicating with a unit & another unit is trying to make contact, say, “ all units stand-by, unless URGENT”, so he can continue with the unit he’s/she’s currently engaged with.

What are the qualifications of everyone here second guessing at least 2 FDNY officers who pulled up to a fully involved building at 4 in the morning?

I don't think anyone here is second guessing the 1st units on the scene. There was a lot of info from the dispatcher to give everybody responding that they may have a working fire. After 31 years on the job working in Brownsville during the war years I pretty much saw it all, and I would never question the first units on the scene. As a chauffer of a truck responding and hearing all the info , you're adrenaline is going into overdrive.