3/31/21 Staten Island 2nd Alarm Box 2033

So, I'm just curious, what engine company ended up first in? 16. 161. or 214? The assignment run down shows E-16. Also, I can't imagine that TL-9 gets very many ''house fires''! Pretty cool to see companies from different boroughs working together at a good fire. Looks like they all did a great job on a shi*-kicker of a fire.

I was going by the Ticket. Ticket has E-16 1st Due. But I wasn't there so if the ticket is wrong (which it sounds like) and 161 got in 1st due ill fix the run down

Thanks. So far it looks like things aren't going to be slowing down in April. All boroughs getting work.

161 was 1st due and gave 10-75
Interesting that 161 was able to get there faster than somebody at either 165s or 159s quarters. This is a long haul for 161 to be first in. Much respect to them in stepping up like this when the borough was low on resources and really lacking on local native crews.

Interesting that 161 was able to get there faster than somebody at either 165s or 159s quarters. This is a long haul for 161 to be first in. Much respect to them in stepping up like this when the borough was low on resources and really lacking on local native crews.
Think 161 is normally 3rd due to this box. Maybe relocating companies were relying heavy on GPS or weren’t sure of the fastest way to the box, 161 sure did lol.

dan

161, 214 and 16 all arrived simultaneously within 6 seconds of each other which is the same as 159, 165 and 161 normally down there.....it was rush hour and raining. Does it really matter who got there in what order?

The whole red hook raiders house was on Staten Island engine 202 ladder 101 and battalion 32

mack

Administrator
Doubt we will ever see this many relocated units operating on SI at a box. And some very interesting notes:
- Companies from three boroughs fill out the initial assignment
- both 202/101 red hook raiders operating at the box
- E9/Sat 1 means this is the third satellite on the island.
- Based on my tracking of both boxes E152, E168 and L84 are the only three companies on SI that did not see any work from these multiples.

Maybe we will see more SI jobs with relocators as SI continues to grow, develop and as older SI neighborhoods age and have more serious fires.

Many years back, SI, then known as Richmond, had only 2 BCs and a Deputy assigned to a fire. The third SI BC remained available to cover the island for new incidents. The logic (as explained by old SI BCs) was that it was better to have at least 1 chief familiar with SI to cover any new job especially if operating as the only chief. SI back then was big, had a lot of brush fires, had a relatively poor water supply, had poor unmarked roads and no highways. That was assignment practice, only 2 BCs assigned and 1 remaining available, even though additional Brooklyn or Manhattan chiefs had lengthy runs by ferry to get to SI for a multiple in progress.

There also was a period of time in the 1980s when the 8th Division was disbanded for budget reasons, and SI only had a Boro Commander during daytime hours. The 12th Division covered SI for multiples.

The 8th Division also did not cover any part of Brooklyn as they do now. Even when the VN Bridge opened in the 1960s, the 8th Division remained on SI. Brooklyn had 4 divisions and then a 5th division (17th Div) was organized during the war years in the 1970s.
1960 Div Bn Bounds a.jpg
1960 Div Bn Boundaries b.jpg

Maybe we will see more SI jobs with relocators as SI continues to grow, develop and as older SI neighborhoods age and have more serious fires.

Many years back, SI, then known as Richmond, had only 2 BCs and a Deputy assigned to a fire. The third SI BC remained available to cover the island for new incidents. The logic (as explained by old SI BCs) was that it was better to have at least 1 chief familiar with SI to cover any new job especially if operating as the only chief. SI back then was big, had a lot of brush fires, had a relatively poor water supply, had poor unmarked roads and no highways. That was assignment practice, only 2 BCs assigned and 1 remaining available, even though additional Brooklyn or Manhattan chiefs had lengthy runs by ferry to get to SI for a multiple in progress.

There also was a period of time in the 1980s when the 8th Division was disbanded for budget reasons, and SI only had a Boro Commander during daytime hours. The 12th Division covered SI for multiples.

The 8th Division also did not cover any part of Brooklyn as they do now. Even when the VN Bridge opened in the 1960s, the 8th Division remained on SI. Brooklyn had 4 divisions and then a 5th division (17th Div) was organized during the war years in the 1970s.
View attachment 21690
View attachment 21691
Those days are before my time but I am quite familiar with the history of the borough. Brush season was a busy time, units staged at e164, poor hydrant system and looooonnnnggggg waits for units to get to the island because that very expensive bridge was not built.
The island is in desperate need of a fourth bat. As well as a few Engines and Ladders. 475,000 people on the island and only 17 engines, 12 ladders, 1 squad and 1 rescue. It’s 58 square miles of land.

I recall my dad telling me that his company, E16, would go downtown to the ferry terminal, take a sail across the bay and relocate to the old quarters of E154 on Hannah street. 154's buff would be seated between the MPO and the officer to act as the "tour guide" if they got a run.