3/31/24 Brooklyn 5th Alarm / 10-66 Box 0270

Once again, a Church fire, if your department is not practicing and training on church fires you need to do so. Sadly, it seems that churches are becoming targets and they have been for many years, a major fire problem. To my brother and sister firefighters, consider offering your knowledge for fires to your church or other place of worship. Many Episcopal churches had what was called a "Church Rick Manager" I was part of that program and realize that renewing and revising the "Risk Manager" concept is as valid as ever. I have written magazine articles on Church Fires, and I will gladly share what I have learned over the years with Faithful brothers and sisters. Photo of my church below. Saint Jame's Episcopal Goshen N.Y. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Attachments

• Saint James Episcopal Church Goshen N.Y..jpg
    Saint James Episcopal Church Goshen N.Y..jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 3
I agree with you but maybe someone should tell the news media that because all three channels said the fire was in Bushwick
Correct. Technically, it's listed as EAST Williamsburg, not Bushwick, regardless.. I grew up in that neighborhood.

Old adage - "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff."
That handline on exp. 3 roof was doing nothing. Also, who was supervising the deck gun operating from E237? In every shot, it wasn't moving, and there was no fire to be seen in the window they were aiming at. Where are and what happened to the old school tactics - that worked?!!

That handline on exp. 3 roof was doing nothing. Also, who was supervising the deck gun operating from E237? In every shot, it wasn't moving, and there was no fire to be seen in the window they were aiming at. Where are and what happened to the old school tactics - that worked?!!
There was fire in the rear of the E3 side of the building, after that was clearing up 237 took up.

It’s actually shocking the number instances that churches have major fires on Easter. For example last year a fire destroyed a historic church in Cambridge MA on Easter (a fire that is still being investigated by the FBI), and as everyone likely remembers - the St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church near the flatiron that burned to the ground before Easter service in 2016.

My 2 cents is that it’s likely a nasty mix of arson and unattended candles.
To add to this, a beautiful historic church in Cleveland also burned to the ground yesterday.

I also always wondered if those church fires started by unattended candles were really arson, as someone could just 'accidentally' knock it over and walk away.

Why was the 10-66 transmitted?
"One of our firefighters fell from the second floor through to the first floor while they were fighting the fire. Other firefighters gave a mayday, and not realizing the mayday was for him, he bounced up off the floor and wanted to run back up the stairs to address the mayday. He was uninjured and able to continue to fight the fire." said Assistant Chief Michael Meyers.

Crazy how 111 goes as the extra truck on the first alarm while 214 sits in quarters and never gets assigned to the 5th alarm.

Even with 206 being assigned first due on the second while only being 1.2 miles away. Just goes to show how close by all those engines are over there.

maybe you’re retired but I believe exterior streams are not to be moved when operating into the interior as to not entrain air.

"One of our firefighters fell from the second floor through to the first floor while they were fighting the fire. Other firefighters gave a mayday, and not realizing the mayday was for him, he bounced up off the floor and wanted to run back up the stairs to address the mayday. He was uninjured and able to continue to fight the fire." said Assistant Chief Michael Meyers.
Happy to hear he's alright

Bushwick is between Tomkins and Wilson Aves and south of Myrtle.
zip codes 11211 and 11206 are in Williamsburg.

Crazy how 111 goes as the extra truck on the first alarm while 214 sits in quarters and never gets assigned to the 5th alarm.

Even with 206 being assigned first due on the second while only being 1.2 miles away. Just goes to show how close by all those engines are over there.
I would have thought 229 would have been 3rd due., only 1.5 miles in with 146.

maybe you’re retired but I believe exterior streams are not to be moved when operating into the interior as to not entrain air.
I don't recall hearing that in 38 years, unless it's a fairly new scientific breakthrough. I'm just trying to be objective, based upon what I see in the video and the multiple windows already taken on the 2nd floor. I'm trying to visualize where air would be "entrained." Back in the 70's if a line, Stang or Tower Ladder wasn't kept moving, you were spoken to be the I.C. later.

They were else where... But normally 3rd due on 2nd Alarm unless things have changed

Box 270
237-216-230-218
217-206-229-271

Box 702
237-218-216-230
206-217-271-222

Last edited:

Yeah... 214 was Assigned on 10-66, then Returned when 10-66 is Rescinded, then Not Assigned or even Relocated on subsequent Alarms :unsure:

Why don't they just do away with assignment cards if the dispatchers are going to assign companies as they wish?

I don't recall hearing that in 38 years, unless it's a fairly new scientific breakthrough. I'm just trying to be objective, based upon what I see in the video and the multiple windows already taken on the 2nd floor. I'm trying to visualize where air would be "entrained." Back in the 70's if a line, Stang or Tower Ladder wasn't kept moving, you were spoken to be the I.C. later.
It’s a fog nozzle thing that’s been proven incorrect. You can push air, but it's minimal and doesn’t really cause issue. Even less with the solid bore nozzles that FDNY uses and most of the American fire service is getting back to.