3/31/24 Brooklyn 5th Alarm / 10-66 Box 0270

What are you talking about? Assign companies as we wish? Where do you guys come up with some of these things?
That’s a very bold, inflammatory and not true statement.

If you work for the fdny you’re more than welcome to come up to the office and see how things are done. Send me a message to set it up.
First off I know the dispatchers do stuff like that as I have a family member who works with them. There’s some loser with a mullet that works up in the Bronx that wears a FDNY chiefs shirt and jeans that brags about how they relocate companies they don’t like and how their volly friends are working in certain companies so they take care of them. Even had a story how this guy relocated a chief multiple times in a tour because he called and complained about something. So clearly there is discretion to send companies where they want

there is some discretion for the dispatchers . piss a dispatcher off you probably will get all the relocations they can send you on . there probably is a point were the assistant commissioner of communications might come and say something to the dispatchers .

First off I know the dispatchers do stuff like that as I have a family member who works with them. There’s some loser with a mullet that works up in the Bronx that wears a FDNY chiefs shirt and jeans that brags about how they relocate companies they don’t like and how their volly friends are working in certain companies so they take care of them. Even had a story how this guy relocated a chief multiple times in a tour because he called and complained about something. So clearly there is discretion to send companies where they want
The GSE guys had a former dispatcher on, and this type of thing was somewhat confirmed to some extent

Let talk about an important subject the special tactics that are need in church fires. I wrote article in WNYF on church fires and have studied church fire ever since. Do some research on church fires it is something all firefighters need to know about. ALSO: A brother firefighter fell through from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor and in spite of the fall he was get out on his own. Brothers if you are injured or trapped in a fire let a chief in charge know if you are safe, so the FAST team is not looking for a firefighter thar is already safe. Also, FDNY dispatchers are among the best around let them do their job under often difficult conditions. "There was only one perfect man and HIM the Crucified."
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

So basically if example L-111 gets a job
Then there's a list of companies who goes to them on a relocate.
First up is L-124 if not available then L-120 next is L-119

But what if all those companies are available IE on another run or OOS Then what do you do?

What if the 4th company that is on the list is L-146 and they have old rig and can't relocate Then what?

What if there is a job a block away from L-111 and the relocator is at the quarters of L-111 and the IC needs a TL or a ladder company ASAP

But certain people don't want that relocator going to a job so instead they call for a TL that's 10 mins or more away at their fire house because they are next on the ticket they have to go and there is a loss of life.

What's going to happen when people question why that company a block away wasn't called in stead they had to wait for the one 10 or more mins away
In an AVL system, an available unit is assigned based on its actual location.
In a non-AVL system, an available unit is assigned (and becomes unavailable) and replaces another unit, making that unit available. The unavailability of the relocator is concurrent with the availability of the relocatee, regardless of how long it takes to happen.

As an example:
If E258 was relocated to E265, with AVL, E258/265 could be picked for a call anywhere along the way from 258's quarters to 265's quarters.
Without AVL, E258 becomes E265-acting upon assignment. The CAD sees E265 as available and E258 as unavailable. E258/265 may pass occupied firehouses enroute to a call in E265's area, but would not be assigned a block from their own quarters even if they are just leaving.
This is where situational awareness by the Dispatchers is crucial. Situational awareness is not to be confused with discretion.

This is a general explanation of CAD systems. The specifics of FDNY are better explained by others.

In an AVL system, an available unit is assigned based on its actual location.
In a non-AVL system, an available unit is assigned (and becomes unavailable) and replaces another unit, making that unit available. The unavailability of the relocator is concurrent with the availability of the relocatee, regardless of how long it takes to happen.

As an example:
If E258 was relocated to E265, with AVL, E258/265 could be picked for a call anywhere along the way from 258's quarters to 265's quarters.
Without AVL, E258 becomes E265-acting upon assignment. The CAD sees E265 as available and E258 as unavailable. E258/265 may pass occupied firehouses enroute to a call in E265's area, but would not be assigned a block from their own quarters even if they are just leaving.
This is where situational awareness by the Dispatchers is crucial. Situational awareness is not to be confused with discretion.

This is a general explanation of CAD systems. The specifics of FDNY are better explained by others.
That’s a perfect explanation! I don’t believe FDNY has AVL active in dispatch; hence you hear the dispatchers asking units their exact location. When and if it’s ever incorporated into the system then adjustments will have to be made to dispatching procedures with the example you gave above: E258/E265.

Another situation would be an engine from Manhattan relocating to Staten Island. I am not sure when they switch over to SI, but if they are somewhere in Brooklyn and a dispatcher can see the engine and it’s within a few blocks of a reported structure fire, Brooklyn can then notify whatever borough frequency dispatch they are on to switch to Brooklyn. But it would have to be coordinated because now Brooklyn took an engine that was relocating to SI and they would have to be replaced!

It ain’t easy!!! Technology is great but you still need thinking dispatchers with excellent situational awareness!!

Sorry for commenting late on this but feel some things need to be said and just seeing this.

I dont remember everything from that day but do remember 119 was in a accident so 111 replaced them as a TL.
146 (2nd Due)
124 (FAST)
119 ( Accident)
so 111 goes.
What TL should have went before them???
In regards to 214, they are on the 4th Alarm. Remember a bunch of single engines up there. Were they on a run? Sitting on a ems run like many companies are doing now? Housewatch not tap AQ or boss go 10-8 from a run? Or just so many relocators were 10-8 and got it? Also not relocated to not empty house.

In regards to the relocations: I allready said some things in the other link posted but I will say this. A relocation is a run! 124,111 and 103 and others not mentioned have been sent in alot lately because they turn out! They arent waiting a half hour to leave quarters etc. The amount of companies lately that we have to look for either did leave yet or they never went 10-8 in relocators area has been on uptake.
Once again FIRE OPERATIONS wants the relocators going.

Sorry to bring up dead issue again admins.