3/4/23 Staten Island 10-75 Box 0637

^^^^ The FDNY QUAD's were extended length Pumpers with ground ladders & called just that "QUADs".....Combination Companies were a 2 piece Unit with an ENG & a Tower Ladder & one Officer (a CPT) .....QUAD's had regular ENG Fronts & CFCs had split colored Fronts (half Red & half Black) the QUAD's were from an earlier era & were around awhile the CFC's came later & were a failed attempt at cost saving's (Officer pay wise).
I think the CFC's responded together, engine and a tower, so you would have a tower on an auto fire and an engine on what would normally be a ladder response. You had two units putting wear and tear on their apparatus so you could save a captains pay.

^^^^ Correct the CFCs always responded together with a CPT as the only Officer.

Hyptcholetically, if there was no VN (lets say around the '90s or today, don't matter, if there isn't a bridge connecting SI and Bklyn, Bayonne and Jersey City Fire Departments have a better chance of running that call before Manhattan Companies even leave JC City lines. Brooklyn Companies wouldn't even be in the Holland.

I get this has nothing to do with the current conversation, just throwing this out there

The quads were like an engine company with the additional compliment of ground ladders. I think they put them in areas where truck company coverage was sparse. WLF was the manufacturer, Ward LaFrance. I think they called them combination companies.
Weren't most Combination Companies (E255 for Example) phased out by the 1920's? But yeah you got the name right.

The WLF rigs referred to were called Quads. Combination companies were different and somewhere in this fantastic site is a thread on that I believe.