4/1/2011 Major Fire Destroys 7 Houses, Dublin - Ireland

Irish, thanks for the posts on "the auld Sod". My ancestors are watching also.

Why only one ladder at a fire like this? What is the dispatch protocol of Dublin?

Hi 3511, Glad you enjoy the updates. I would not be too familiar with the Dispatch protocol for Dublin but i do know for a standard house fire would get a

- 3 Pumps + D/O

- Persons Reported house fire 3 Pumps, E/T, D/O, Ambulance

- Fire alarm activation - House / industrial - 2 pumps & D/O ( Include ladder or Hydraulic Platform for flat complex, hi rise buildings)

- Hospital / high occupancy building (Event Centre) - 3 Pumps, E/T, D/O, Ambulance, Ladder

The 1st arriving officer becomes the "Officer in Charge" (OIC) and he then calls on extra resources as is needed. If this call have of been in the city centre a Ladder Truck would be sent straight away.

As this call was not in the city centre i imagine the Ladder was special called as ye would put it. Dublin as a city has 4 x Ladder Trucks. 1 x is in the suburbs & 3 are in the City Centre. The 1st due Ladder was out on another call at the time of this incident. Im not sure where the 2nd due Ladder was at the time of the incident & the ladder in the pictures is the 3rd due Ladder.

The 1st due Ladder did eventually end up on scene. This Ladder would be more like a Tower Ladder in the US, the other 2 would be like Rearmounts

Ireland runs on Command Levels which would be like Alarms in the US (2nd Alarm, 3rd Alarm etc).

Command Level 1 would be an incident involving the deployment of  2 Engs or 1 Eng & 1 Special appliance I.e Ladder or Rescue

Command Level 2 would be an incident exceeding a Command Level 1 but would not be above  4 Engs or 3 Engs & a Special Appliance i.e a total of 4 units

Command Level 3 would be a large incident involving the deployment of  5 Engs or 4 Engs & 1 Special Appliance. This would also involve the attendance of Senior Officers

Just to abbreviate some of our terms to US terms for you?

Pumps are Engines
E/T (Emergency Tender) are Rescues
D/O (District Officer) are Battalion Chiefs
Ladders are Rearmounts
Hydraulic Platforms are Tower Ladders 

For a better look at the City Centre Ladder Rigs they are on this page

http://www.fire-ireland.com/Dublin-Fire-Brigade-Echo-District

And here is the one in the suburbs

http://www.fire-ireland.com/Dublin-Fire-Brigade-Alpha-District