4/5/24 Fall Back Step 3 City Wide

Earth Quake reported in the borough as well as CT NJ and NY

I my self must be under a rock and felt nothing

Fall Back Step 1 2 & 3

What is "Fall Back Step"
During periods of inordinately heavy volume of incidents whether it is fires and or emergencies, the normal response to alarms may be adjusted according to a Fallback response mode.
Conditions requiring a change to Fallback must be identified, implemented & terminated.

How does "Fall Back Step Happen"
Conditions that can implementation of a Fallback include but are not limited to:
- 30 open Incidents, for longer than 20 minutes.
- Sustained Availability of Engine or Ladder Companies below 50%, for longer than 20 minutes.
- 2nd Alarm or greater transmitted in the borough of Staten Island
- Severe weather conditions that are either imminent or occurring, which will significantly impact activity levels
Examples: Severe thunderstorms, Tornados, Blizzards, Red flag warnings
- Any 10-66 in conjunction with a 10-60

Fall Back Step Assignments:
Step 1
- Electromechanical Boxes: Nearest available unit (Engine or Ladder)
- Class-3 maximum response: 1 Engine, 1 Ladder & 1 BC

Step 2: (Includes Step 1)
- Class-3 response: Nearest available Engine or Ladder
- CO Detector: 1 Ladder or nearest available CO meter equipped unit
- Water leak: Nearest available Engine or Ladder
- SOC matrix response that requires a Structural Response: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 BC & SOC units

Step 3: (Includes Steps 1 & 2)
- Structural Responses: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder & 1 BC
On a verified second source: 3 Engines, 2 Ladders & 1 BC
- SOC matrix response that requires a Structural Response: 1 Engine, 1 Ladder, 1 BC, nearest available Rescue, Squad & nearest available SOC Support Ladder
On a verified second source: the normal SOC matrix gets filled out.
- Gas Leaks, Odors of Gas or similar odors: 1 Engine & 1 Ladder.
- Manhole Fires: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder & 1 BC.

Minimum responses, based on CIDS or Box numbers are suspended.
Responses will be based on information received.
Fallback procedures may be instituted step-by-step, or Step 2 or 3 could be opted for at the outset.
There is no response to ERS No-Contact daily from 0800-2300 hours.
The response to electromechanical boxes is 1 Engine, 24 hours a day.

We had a 3.8 here in Buffalo last year in the middle of the night. Didn't amount to much other than an unwelcome wake-up call, but I'll say with 100% certainty I'll never forget the sound of it. It was so loud it woke me up a second or two before it rattled our house as it rolled in from the SW, and once it passed you could hear it moving NW. Sounded like thunder mixed with an explosion shockwave, like nothing else I've ever heard.

A major vulnerability would be Gas mains and Water mains. Time to use the 2,000 gpm pumpers, Satellites and the Super Pumper to move big water from areas with working water mains or drafting sites to areas without them.

Last edited: