5/23/22 Marine Unit Mutual Aid Request

mack

Administrator
Per USCG - 6 fireboats fought barge fire.

"WERS, Delaware -- Officials said crews responded to a barge fire in the Delaware Bay on Monday morning.

The U.S. Coast Guard said a call came in around 1 a.m. reporting the blaze about nine miles south of Port Mahon.

Officials said about six fire boats from local fire agencies were actively fighting the fire on the barge that was reportedly carrying household appliances for scrap."

Nobody available ? Newark? Jersey City ? Hoboken? Others ? Wow OK Nice Ride.
FDNY has a larger Marine Unit, if NFD went out it would be a issue if a call needing the Marine unit happended. It's practitaly impossible to get from JC to NWK by boat. And Jersey City, pretty self explanitory. Statue of Liberty. (I may be wrong on the reasoning for Jersey City). And HOB got Fireboats?

I recall hearing that the FDNY boats were purchased with Federal funding that stipulated that it be available for mutual aid from something like Maine to DC.
If were talking Maine, just give the USCG Sector Fireboats, same thing with DC. FDNY ain't getting there in time.

Second stupid question . . . what about crew relief? The M-6 crew has been on duty for at least 24 hours now.
Regarding a few extra hours on shift issues, 1 word. Overtime. The next shift has to wait to get the unit back to even actually go in service. Unless 6, 6A, and 6B are combination companies.

FDNY has a larger Marine Unit, if NFD went out it would be a issue if a call needing the Marine unit happended. It's practitaly impossible to get from JC to NWK by boat. And Jersey City, pretty self explanitory. Statue of Liberty. (I may be wrong on the reasoning for Jersey City). And HOB got Fireboats?
I have no clue what you're talking about Newark and Jersey City are both on the Newark Bay. It would take only a few minutes to cross from Port Newark to the Hackensack Rivera/ Greenville. Admittedly there isn't much dockage without going north or circling Bayonne to Liberty State Park.

Also Hoboken does indeed have a fire boat, Fireboat 1 a 2012 Boston Whaler 27' Vigilant.

Liberty Island is part of NYC.

Its shared between the states.
Even though Ellis Island and Bedloe's Island (now Liberty Island) are totally within New Jersey, the two States agreed that New York would retain exclusive jurisdiction of both Islands as they existed at that time.

Strangely this is not the longest response for FDNY units. FDNY went to New Orleans after Hurrican Karina to assist N.O.F.D. with firefighting after the Hurricane. Also, further back in about in the early 1900s or 1890s FDNY units were transported by railroad flat cars, to Baltimore Maryland to a conflagration that destroyed a large number of buildings in the City of Baltimore. My 1st unit in the FDNY, Engine 27, was one of the units that went to Baltimore Md., and I have a very old FDNY Company Journal from Engine 27 describing how and who responded way back then.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Additional Information the "Great Fire of Baltimore" was in 1904. As I said my 1st FDNY unit, Engine 27 responded to Baltimore with other FDNY units. The FDNY units were transported via ferry to New Jersey and then the Horse drawn streamers were placed on railroad flatcars and taken to Baltimore. I believe that the Captain of Engine 27 at that time was "Smoky Joe Martin" later he attained the rank of Assistaint Chief. "Smokey the Bear" was named after Assistant Chief "Smokey" Joe Martin of FDNY. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Both islands are within the state of New Jersey and fall under the control of the US Park Service. There is a bridge that connects Ellis Island to Liberty State Park in NJ. The span is used for service vehicle only. There is no span connected to Liberty Island. Under agreement with NJ, NYC both fire and police will support the US Park Service on both islands. They normally travel by boat to reach the islands. FDNY procedures call for a two vessel response. One boat goes to the island directly to investigate while the second boat will transport equipment & crew.

In order to receive federal funding for FDNY's fire boat fleet they had to agree to help service a larger area for mutual Aid including going up the Hudson River or heading east into Long Island Sound or the Atlantic Ocean.

Are you aware that in Northern NJ there is a group known as the North NJ Fire Boat Task Force? The group has been in operation now for a few years and cover the NJ water front from Perth Amboy to the GWB. Every time they get a run, 3 different fireboats respond. All boats are smaller then FDNY's Marine 6 mostly in the 20 & 30 feet range, I think 2 are above 40 feet.

Both islands are within the state of New Jersey and fall under the control of the US Park Service. There is a bridge that connects Ellis Island to Liberty State Park in NJ. The span is used for service vehicle only. There is no span connected to Liberty Island. Under agreement with NJ, NYC both fire and police will support the US Park Service on both islands. They normally travel by boat to reach the islands. FDNY procedures call for a two vessel response. One boat goes to the island directly to investigate while the second boat will transport equipment & crew.

In order to receive federal funding for FDNY's fire boat fleet they had to agree to help service a larger area for mutual Aid including going up the Hudson River or heading east into Long Island Sound or the Atlantic Ocean.

Are you aware that in Northern NJ there is a group known as the North NJ Fire Boat Task Force? The group has been in operation now for a few years and cover the NJ water front from Perth Amboy to the GWB. Every time they get a run, 3 different fireboats respond. All boats are smaller then FDNY's Marine 6 mostly in the 20 & 30 feet range, I think 2 are above 40 feet.
Adding to that North Hudson dispatches the boats

Edgewater
North Hudson (2)
Hoboken
Jersey City (2)
Kearny
Secaucus
Bayonne
Newark (2)
Linden
Elizabeth
Carteret