5 New Ferrara Heavy Rescues

Ferrara was issued a "Notice of Award" to build five (5) new rescues for FDNY. This post is by a very reliable source:  http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/index.php?topic=12371.msg98565#new

i thought they bought the original ferrara rescue to test it out and they were going to throw it in the spare pool, anyway thats what i thought i heard.

You're right, Tom.  I've never known Redlight to pass out bad information.  High pressures, Hazmat, Collapse Rescues, Rear-mounts and now rescues.  I think I'll sell my Seagrave stock.

Why would they replace the 2007 Pierce Rescue 1 so soon, especially since they have several backup units?  Have there been problems with the rig? 

S

SFD RS1 N RS2

Although the rig might not need to be replaced it still will be as they replace the Heavy Rescues in groups of 5, usually. The FDNY did this when they were replacing the HME/Saulsbury's back around 9/11 and they had two and possibly three they could have definitely used but they decided to replace them all.  FDNY has the ability to do this.  I believe the only reason Rescue 4 didn't get the new rig is because Rescue 1 usually gets the first of any new order of Rescue trucks, plus they wanted to try a Pierce in the heavily ran Manhattan borough as opposed to Queens.  We will see how Ferrara Heavy Rescue's hold up seeing as they are ran more than the Ferrara Hazmat Rig is.

SFD RS1 N RS2 said:
Although the rig might not need to be replaced it still will be as they replace the Heavy Rescues in groups of 5, usually. The FDNY did this when they were replacing the HME/Saulsbury's back around 9/11 and they had two and possibly three they could have definitely used but they decided to replace them all.  FDNY has the ability to do this.  I believe the only reason Rescue 4 didn't get the new rig is because Rescue 1 usually gets the first of any new order of Rescue trucks, plus they wanted to try a Pierce in the heavily ran Manhattan borough as opposed to Queens.  We will see how Ferrara Heavy Rescue's hold up seeing as they are ran more than the Ferrara Hazmat Rig is.
that seems like a real waste of money to retire a 2 year old truck

S

SFD RS1 N RS2

I agree its a waste but with their money the brass will do as they please.  Seagrave's gonna put Ferrara to shame if they get the new tower ladder contract in three years.

Idk I would replace RS 2-5 first and wait till 2018 when they come up for replacement again to replace RS1

Yes I'm partial to Ferrara!! So don't bother asking;D ;D   

WOW!!

There must be spare cash or some awsome back handers going out somewhere, or a buy 4 and get 1 free deal!

The FDNY has 5 operational Rescue Companies, and to service these companies, they have 10(!) rigs currently on thier inventory, only two of which are over 10 years old, and one is a mere 2 years old, and now they are buying a further 5 brand new rigs!!

Compare yhis with departments like Boston, who are struggling to replace Engines and Trucks from the early 90's that are falling apart!! And still running open rear cab spares...

Amazing when you look at it like this..

Heavy Rescues take severe suspension system punishment due to their heavy payloads. NYC streets in all 5 boros are a true litmus/acid test for vehicle suspension systems. This is also the case with Tower Ladders especially 95 footers. Back in the 1970's the city had a major problem with MTA buses that were manufactered by Grumman/Flexible. Those buses performed well all over the country yet they couldn't handle NYC streets and thus the NYC Corporate Consul had to take legal action. I lived in SE Queens for 11 years and I remember many bus driver friends nicknaming Merrick Blvd. in So. Jamaica the "Ho Chi Ming Trail".

guitarman314 said:
  Heavy Rescues take severe suspension system punishment due to their heavy payloads. NYC streets in all 5 boros are a true litmus/acid test for vehicle suspension systems. This is also the case with Tower Ladders especially 95 footers. Back in the 1970's the city had a major problem with MTA buses that were manufactered by Grumman/Flexible. Those buses performed well all over the country yet they couldn't handle NYC streets and thus the NYC Corporate Consul had to take legal action. I lived in SE Queens for 11 years and I remember many bus driver friends nicknaming Merrick Blvd. in So. Jamaica the "Ho Chi Ming Trail".

True, suspension systems can be a big issue.  Why not rebuild/replace the suspensions?

You bring back memories, G-man.  I rode the Bee Line bus from Lynbrook to Jamaica (to pick up the "E" train at 169th St & Hillside Ave . . . don't think it even goes there any more) all thru high school & college, following Merrick Blvd all the way.  We used to call it the "Roller Coaster to Nassau" even then, and that was 50 years ago.  BTW:  The Bee Line ran WWII-era White busses at rush hour, and Mack & GMs during the day.  It was a big deal when they started getting the GM "Fishbowl" busses in the early 60's.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Interesting there they are putting so many eggs in one basket with equipment from a manufacturer that they do not have a long history with!  They really don't have any apparatus from Ferrara that has seen much hard service.

According to "Redlight", the always reliable source from that other board, the rescues are being built on a chassis that doesn't have a name yet.  Sounds to me like Ferrara may be custom designing apparatus from the ground up to FDNY specs. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has done that before. They've always adapted an existing design. It remains to be seen what the result will be, but in any case, FDNY can't be displeased with the Ferrara rigs they presently have, or they wouldn't be awarding large contracts to those folks from Louisiana.

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
SFD RS1 N RS2 said:
that seems like a real waste of money to retire a 2 year old truck

They are not retiring the 06 Pierce Rescue that R1 has. It will become a spare rig ready to use when one of the main 5 goes OOS. The 06 was test for FDNY with Pierce & Firematic the local dealer/maintainer. For whatever reason the sides decided not to go any further after that 1 rig. Rescues are generally replaced all together every 8 or so years. (i.e. 1988, 1996) 9/11 caused them to move things up a bit

B

Bigandy

Guitarman is right on, NYC is full of potholes and divits, and these suspensions take a shalacking every time they go out. I was following rescue two outta quarters the other day to a worker heading down bergen past albany, and i hit a pot hole so deep, I thought I had run someone over. just my two cents. replace em all if they got the money!! and send the spares to some less fortunate departments like mine :)

Any ideas on whether the new rescues will resemble the Hazmat 1 ferrara or have the same rear end/rescue body as the current rescues?

JT