6/20/2013 Ambulance issues with Long Island College Hospital

727 Greene Avenue
Brooklyn, NY

Commander James Rocky Robinson of the Bedford Stuyvesant Volunteer Ambulance Corps will be giving a media interview in regards to the effects to the community of the closing of the ambulance service of Long Island College Hospital

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Hospital 49 also runs 3 bls and 2 als units.  Wonder what is going on with them.

tbendick said:
Hospital 49 also runs 3 bls and 2 als units.  Wonder what is going on with them.

The "grapevine" had it that those units would be dissolved upon the demise of the hospital. FDNY units would be moved around to pick up those areas. Needless to say that there are not nearly enough ambulances, either FDNY or Voluntary, to cover the onslaught of jobs, distances to hospitals and back as well as a deficient "911" system.

So Brooklyn will have 5 fewer ambulances. They could use more not less. In fact almost all the boroughs seem to be pretty under numbered.

For the amount of call volume per day EMS is always running below needs. Although they say they are running a full complement it does not keep up with volume. There are other variables causing delays also. "Turnaround" times at E.R.'s can be lengthy due to crowding, being triaged, shortage of E.R. stretchers, etc. Then what happens is a job comes in that delayed unit's area and a bus from afar is given the job. That takes time to get to the scene. Then suppose while enroute that bus gets "flagged" down for a patient. More time. The bus that was delayed at the E.R. becomes available but there is a higher priority holding so off they go into another area. My last 4 years I worked in Staten Island in the Rossville/Tottenville area. Here's an example: The north side of the Island is getting hammered with calls so they start sending units from the south up north. These units take patients to S.I.U.H North Site or Richmond University Hosp. While on those jobs, a call comes in for Tottenville and a north unit who just becomes available gets assigned. You don't make it from Stapleton to Tottenville quickly! This goes on in all boroughs, units criss-crossing each other, more jobs pending, units being flagged, etc. It just becomes one vicious circle.

This is happening all the time. I work in the Bronx, today I did 9 jobs and I spent almost half of the day 6 hours or more in the ER being triaged.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
LICH seems to be almost done as per the news. Haven't seen any thing on the orders closing the units are adding more FDNY units to the area.

tbendick said:
LICH seems to be almost done as per the news. Haven't seen any thing on the orders closing the units are adding more FDNY units to the area.
[/quote

I'm sure that the upper echelon of FDNY EMS has some plans on hold for the anticipated closing of LICH and what steps will be implemented to cover their area. However, I'm sure it will be the last minute as always accompanied by the usual chaos as to who, when and where. I just hope that this area is not "contracted out" to private companies as we have seen in the past. FDNY EMS should be the only provider of pre-hospital care. jmho