6/24/2022 Manhattan All Hands Box 1352

Address: 218 West 112 Street - between Powell and Douglass Blvd.

Fire on the 2nd floor of a 7 story 50x75 MD.

0149 - Bn. 11 - 10-75, All Hands on Arrival. Fire in Apt. 2F.

TL-22 FAST

0156 - Bn. 11 - 2 L/S, 1 L/O. Primaries are in progress. Primaries are negative on the floor above.

0200 - Bn. 11 - Primaries in the fire apartment are complete and negative.

0214 - Div. 3 - Fire Apt. is 2E. AVFKD. Primaries are negative on the floor above. DWH

Maybe:
E-58, 47, 37, 76
L-26, 40, 22F
B-11, 12
S-41
R-1
D-3
RAC-1

Relocators:
E-54 act. E-37

Last edited:
Can someone explain how E54 gets relocated from 48th to 125th? This job didn't seem long for E54 to go uptown some 71 blocks. I'm new to this so forgive me if it seems like a dumb questions

Can someone explain how E54 gets relocated from 48th to 125th? This job didn't seem long for E54 to go uptown some 71 blocks. I'm new to this so forgive me if it seems like a dumb questions
lt's ok to ask. l don't know the answer, but someone here will.

Relocations can be long or short distance wise as well as long or short in duration....at the time the Relocation is initiated it is often not known if the incident will escalate or be resolved quickly.....regardless the Members are On Duty & just go where they are sent.

Relocations start on the 10-75 Signal. (Or when a dispatcher knows they will be operating over 25 mins to some houses. It’s all about who you know also. You good with the dispatchers you will get in there as a extra engine or truck depending…. You piss off a dispatcher and you will get sent on every relocation possible…. Let’s just say someone In Staten Island did that and even when someone went to the rock they got sent for relocation.

Last edited:

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It hard to understand stand why a certain company is used to relocate. There are a lot of facts that those of us who are sitting on the receiving end of the radio are not aware of. At the time the relocation was made which other companies were available, were there a restriction placed on other companies due to possible civil unrest tonight? These are facts that we are unaware of and change minute to minute. Or a phone call to a dispatcher saying if you can send us up there, I got a probie working tonight that needs to see how our others brothers live. With recent changes in the FDNY dispatch computer system maybe the relocating unit was looking to get to the job. We will never know.

I think I heard that Engine 54 is a "must fill" in the daytime, so perhaps that's why they relocate at night.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
It hard to understand stand why a certain company is used to relocate. There are a lot of facts that those of us who are sitting on the receiving end of the radio are not aware of. At the time the relocation was made which other companies were available, were there a restriction placed on other companies due to possible civil unrest tonight? These are facts that we are unaware of and change minute to minute. Or a phone call to a dispatcher saying if you can send us up there, I got a probie working tonight that needs to see how our others brothers live. With recent changes in the FDNY dispatch computer system maybe the relocating unit was looking to get to the job. We will never know.
To answer some of your questions. Pretty sure no company has ever requested to be sent on a relocation, they’re generally the second to last thing the brothers want to do at 2am. I’m fairly certain that the CAD now decides relocations based on how busy a unit is, how many other units are avail in their area, etc. But as Skyler pointed out, the dispatchers still have a say… so don’t get on their bad side or you’ll be relocating nightly.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure no company has ever requested to be sent on a relocation, they’re generally the second to last thing the brothers want to do at 2am. I’m fairly certain that the CAD now decides relocations based on how busy a unit is, how many other units are avail in their area, etc. But as Skyler pointd out, the dispatchers still have a say… so don’t get on their bad side or you’ll be relocating nightly
I am sorry to say how many companies call to volunteer to relocate. Take my word for it. As a Chief Dispatcher I had received hundreds of calls my self. Yes for many years Engine 54 was not to be used for relocations, but I understand that has changed. You can use 54 or any other company and then back fill them with another unit to reduce travel times. The double or even triple relocations were used when there were several double companies in Manhattan. That procedure also works when back filling Staten Island. Take companies near the VZ to move into SI & then relocate into Brooklyn's empty quarters near the bridge.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
I am sorry to say how many companies call to volunteer to relocate. Take my word for it. As a Chief Dispatcher I had received hundreds of calls my self. Yes for many years Engine 54 was not to be used for relocations, but I understand that has changed. You can use 54 or any other company and then back fill them with another unit to reduce travel times. The double or even triple relocations were used when there were several double companies in Manhattan. That procedure also works when back filling Staten Island. Take companies near the VZ to move into SI & then relocate into Brooklyn's empty quarters near the bridge.
Haha I’ll take you at your word. Always hear a unanimous groan at the firehouse when they get a relocation, so I (wrongly as it seems) assumed that this was the general consensus among everyone.

Haha I’ll take you at your word. Always hear a unanimous groan at the firehouse when they get a relocation, so I (wrongly as it seems) assumed that this was the general consensus among everyone.
Most companies don't look forward to relocating, but there are slower companies (especially when a couple of younger guys are working) that don't mind relocating to a busier area on a day tour/or on a night tour before midnight - and as Atlas says - some even call the dispatcher to look to relocate if the job is in a busier area. You might have a point on those after-midnight relocations!

Last edited: