'69 '70 '71 B'Ville BKLYN.

-Posted by Backstretch on FDNYrant-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/waryears.shtml

All photos taken by Ira Hoffman 1969-1971.

Almost all photos show units of the 44th Battalion - Engines 231, 232, Ladder 120.

These photos MAY be in a forthcoming book.

If you can identify the firefighters in any photo, please send email with picture number and firefighter's name to: support@fire-police-ems.com

KEY:
"75" preceding the box number (such as 75-1643) indicates an "all hands" a/k/a "first alarm". In Brownsville this usually meant 3 engines, 2 trucks, Squad 4 (a pumper that carried extra truck tools). In the "war years" Rescue 2 would not respond to a Brownsville all-hands. All Brownsville units ran "heavy" - 5 or 6 firemen + the officer.
"22" preceding the box number (such as 22-1643) indicates a second alarm which would bring an additional 3 engines, one additional truck, Rescue 2 and a bunch of support units. There weren't many 2nd or higher alarms in Brownsville then. The guys were very good at what they did - they had lots of fires to put out and did it very efficiently. It was rare for a night tour NOT to have an all-hands.
sometimes a fire didn't require a full first alarm assignment. In those cases the numbers preceding the box number indicates engines & trucks. e.g. 2&1 ? 2084 indicates that 2 engines and 1 truck worked at this fire at box 2084.

This is a work-in-progress. Please check back frequently. Thanks! Ira

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/waryears1969.shtml

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/waryears1970.shtml

Chief McAuley Retirement Party - May, 1973
http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/waryearsmcauley.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backstretch Thanks for posting Ira s Excellent history photos here.....i will E -Mail him the few IDs i saw.....i will post them here for the info of those enjoying his work...............................................in the '69 group.......01470016..close up..3rd FF up facing fwd is Jon Thomas RIP Green Beret..FF ENG*222..SQ*4..R*2..R*5.. A good Friend............01470017...Jon again............04850003..the names are reversed..Lft is Neal King (just passed 9-29-10 RIP) Rt. is John Petito ("whats up cuz") ...........in the '70 group..225-17 Marty Connelly......225-22 ..yes ..Tom Cherry.......230-24..yes Flip Mullen ..Bob Olsen.........235-22..yes ..Jack (Locks) Duggan.......255-19..yes Charlie Wagner............Party Pictures Group......405-20..Blue Blazer on rt..Joe Mills......405-26..lft standing Frank Cruthers...Larry McCarthy standing.....seated at rt in blue sweater ..John Vigiano...........405-36..seated lft gold jacket..Dennis Conway lifetime Member LAD*111........standing ..Pete Ganci RIP 9-11..in 111 at time of photo....both Men are from my Proby Class & Class Men themselves........415-02a ..seated giving gesture or maybe offering Marty C. one is George Munch still Dispatching on BKLYN Fire Radio.......415-16a..lft Jack Boyle..rt ..Marty Connelly (note missing finger). ....Ira hope you follow through w/a book & Backstrech please keep on posting in the meantime.......the 8" Brass Mainstream s in a # of these photos is what i was referring to (minus the pistol grip) for those of you who read my post in the "Nozzle question" thread.......also R*2 responded to B'Ville as well as the rest of the Boro on the 10-75 starting in '74.......i am sure as more see these great shots there will be more ID s made. ...68jk09

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=history&thread=9010&page=1#ixzz16GC7hX2c

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=history&thread=9010&page=1#ixzz16GBDvx5m

I agree with Mike. Some Excellent photos of those very busy Brownsville Companies in action and the Greatest Firefighters that were a part of it.
  I remember my visits to Rescue 2 back in 1968/69 and hearing those house bells ring in the "75" for those Browsville boxes. If we all could only get to live one day again, to see what it was like for just one day in those busy years. 

Great photos, a lot of history pictured there.

Does anyone remember the guy on Rockaway and Blake (?) who operated some sort of canvas business, but who sold modified Midwestern turnout coats?

He would take a stock Midwestern canvas turnout coat, shorten its length, make the collar higher, add bellows under the arms and make the pockets bigger and then sell it as a "truckie" coat.

I got mine from him in June 1968.

1261....he was a Jewish fellow whose shop was actually located on Sutter Ave.......if a guy did not pick up a repaired coat in a certain period he would sell it for a couple of bucks.....good bargains as a new one cost around $30.00 then.... he was simply known as "the Jew on Sutter Ave.".........he disapeared sometime in the '70s......he was the forerunner of Samson Zats & Son on Lefferts Blvd off Atlantic Ave......they did great work especially leather helmet repairs......i  have some handmade frontpieces they made.......the shelves were filled w/helmets awaiting repairs not just FDNY but vollys , NJ & even saw Boston on ocassion.....the pile of turnout coats was so high the old man could hardly see over it especially just prior to Annual Inspection every Spring......they also patched boots & also re-soled rubber boots...niether one had much personality....they were Russian shoemakers...the old man only knew 3 words in English .....if you said Hello he replied w/more of a grunt than a hello.....if you asked him anything else he would reply "ask son".....their demise was the opening of the FDNY Quartermaster.

Thanks Chief. This is another of those memories/stories that made that era so great.
Have a good Thanksgiving