ALARM BOX LOCATOR BY ADDRESS

Does anyone know if there?s a site to do an alarm box look-up by street address?  All the sites I?ve found give the location by box number, ie, enter Box 622 and find that it's located at 24th Street and 9th Avenue.  In other words, I want to be able to find out what box would be transmitted for an incident at, let?s say, 610 Victory Boulevard or 1275 York Avenue or 440 Neptune Avenue.

Thanks a lot.

There isn't a website like that that I'm aware of but you can locate the nearest 1, 5, 10, or 15 firehouses to an address. Just go to nyc.gov/citymap, enter the address, and firehouses is under public safety in the options menu for "Find Nearest" on the right side of the screen.

FDNY793727 said:
There isn't a website like that that I'm aware of but you can locate the nearest 1, 5, 10, or 15 firehouses to an address. Just go to nyc.gov/citymap, enter the address, and firehouses is under public safety in the options menu for "Find Nearest" on the right side of the screen.

793727:
I've been using the NYC DOITT maps for some time and like the many features.  I know how to display firehouses and FDNY Admin Districts, etc. but where/how exactly do you access the "Find Nearest" feature, I've never seen it. 

If it would display nearest firehouses in sequence, I am sure it would do it in the order of "as the crow flies" distance, which would  not necessarily  be anything close to their order on the assignment cards.

811 said:
FDNY793727 said:

793727:
I've been using the NYC DOITT maps for some time and like the many features.  I know how to display firehouses and FDNY Admin Districts, etc. but where/how exactly do you access the "Find Nearest" feature, I've never seen it. 

If it would display nearest firehouses in sequence, I am sure it would do it in the order of "as the crow flies" distance, which would  not necessarily  be anything close to their order on the assignment cards.

After going on the map and entering the address in, on the right hand side it displays information called "Building and Property Information". Just above that sentence it has "Find Nearest". After clicking that you choose the number of things you want to find and select firehouses under Public Safety. And it's definitely not by box assignment. I entered my Breezy Point address and it shows E329 and then E268/L137, the next Rockaway firehouse, is 11th on the list.

Thanks, I see it now.  I didn't see that you had to enter an EXACT address. I was trying to search areas by other means such as ZIP code, etc. then "Find Nearest".

Your point on Rockaway assignments is well taken.  When FDNY CAD expanded from Brooklyn to outlying boroughs in the 1970s, there were lot of  areas where the assignments were totally screwy.  For example. Brooklyn Companies respond to Staten Island fires on the 3rd alarm or so (these were in order to go to the fire, not relocate to other quarters).  The way CAD set up the assignments was by "crow flies" distance disregarding that you had to cross a bridge.

For example, Coney Island units would be due to fires in the 23 Battalion, southern S I, before E242 and neighbors near the bridge.

As is happening now where Captains are to review the new BARB assignments; back then Captains were to review the assignments for their Company and submit errors when noted.  Many did not bother.