ANOTHER 9-11 MEMBER PASSES.

Mike Toal was the leader, senior man, senior chauffeur and sergeant major of L 20. L 20 had many younger members. He was part of the excellent LCCs including Mike, Dave LaForge and R Kingsley. He told every new member of L 20 directly what was expected of him and held the FF to high standards . He was an outstanding asset to me as a a young Lt from the Bronx working in lower Manhattan. He made being a boss in L 20 easy. Mike came down with a painful debilitating cancer as a result of his time working at the WTC after 911. He suffered greatly for a long time. He deserved a long healthy retirement. Mike was an American hero. Great job by L 20 giving him the send off he deserved. Thank you to FD Ceremonial Unit for the treatment . I know his family appreciated it. Thank you also to Spring Lake FD .
RIP Mike ....Never Forget.

RET FF DENNIS REILLY ENG*156/ENG*245...WTC RELATED.....On 2-14-21 in Cary NC at 69 yrs of age....RET 2003 after 20 yrs OTJ.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... Services already held.........PHOTO & OBIT...

www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/siadvance/name/dennis-reilly-obituary?id=8152734
Very interesting.

www.wakefuneral.com/obituaries/Dennis-Reilly-3/
Pictures and a video from his fitness class Broadway YMCA on S.I.
RIP Brother

mack

Administrator
RET FF DENNIS REILLY ENG*156/ENG*245...WTC RELATED.....On 2-14-21 in Cary NC at 69 yrs of age....RET 2003 after 20 yrs OTJ.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... Services already held.........PHOTO & OBIT...

www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/siadvance/name/dennis-reilly-obituary?id=8152734
Very interesting.

www.wakefuneral.com/obituaries/Dennis-Reilly-3/
Pictures and a video from his fitness class Broadway YMCA on S.I.

Cary Fire Department (NC) honored FF Dennis Riley with parade:

RET FF DONALD VAN HOLT....LAD*103...LAD*108....

On 11-3-21 Don Passed To A Higher Level after a hard fought battle....an Excellent FF....LCC...FD Historian ....Author ....& Webmaster of a Great History Site nyfd.com/index2.html .....Mechanic.....Carpenter....Yachtsman (Don fully restored a WW2 PT Boat that he later sold & it is a floating Restaurant ) all around Craftsman .....& Friend .....US Army Airborne Combat Veteran. (Dom Rep Conflict)......Don started as a War Years FF in 103 on Sheffield Ave among some of The Great's.....after the layoff's / supposed fiscal crisis manpower was reduced from 31 + to 25 in Busy Units & FFs were shifted around to fill openings.....I remember the day Don pulled up to Union Ave in his Chevy Pickup with his entire locker from 103 standing in the Bed ( I later bought his Pickup which he had highly modified) ...he fit right in & spent some good years making his mark in 108...... always upbeat & always had a solution......REST IN PEACE BROTHER......THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY AIRBORNE) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....further info on arrangements when available...... Picture from another site.. www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1028523061317186&set=g.1661791363978439
RIP HERO

Remember him bouncing around as a covering Lt. - nice guy - pretty sure he has a son (Lt.) OTJ - to the Kemly family, sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace, Chief and thank you for your service. Be free from your suffering.
God Bless you.

FDNY EMS Assistant Chief Alvin Suriel, a lifelong lifesaver who helped oversee the department’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic died Tuesday following a short battle with an aggressive 9/11 cancer, the FDNY said. He was 52.

Suriel was a 32-year veteran of EMS, joining as an emergency medical technician in 1989, before the agency’s merger with the FDNY.

1639081307060.png

Quickly moving up the ranks, Suriel was promoted to assistant chief in 2019 and served as the department’s chief of field operations, where he helped supervise 4,600 EMTs, paramedics, EMS officers, and civilian employees. Suriel was instrumental in developing an active member peer support group to address the mental health needs of EMTs and paramedics during the pandemic, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said.“He saved an untold number of lives in his time as an EMT and paramedic, and through his inspirational leadership in our bureau of EMS,” Nigro said Tuesday. “He was there for New Yorkers on Sept. 11, he was instrumental in our department’s extraordinary response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and he administered outstanding care to every single patient who ever called for his help. “His dedication to duty was immeasurable, and his loss is a painful blow to our entire Department,” Nigro said.

As it happens, Suriel was diagnosed with a 9/11 cancer just weeks before his death, FDNY sources said. He’s the 264th FDNY member to die from a Ground Zero related illness.

After graduating from the EMS Training Academy, Suriel was first assigned to help people in Harlem. “[It] actually started as a summer job. I loved it,” Suriel said in a recent FDNY podcast. “In 1993 I upgraded as a paramedic. I decided to become an officer in 2005. Since then, slowly but surely, I have been climbing the ranks to where I am now. My primary responsibility is that of overseeing field operations We all support what I feel is the backbone of this department, which is our EMTs, paramedics and officers.”

On 9/11, Suriel joined a convoy of EMTs and paramedics who raced to the World Trade Center from the EMS Academy at Fort Totten in Queens. He spent several days at Ground Zero following the terror attacks, assisting in rescue and recovery efforts.

Suriel is survived by his wife and two daughters. Funeral arrangements were pending.