Another Chicago LODD

Today's 3-11 fire at 1212 N Lake Shore Drive has claimed the life of the Lt assigned to Tower Ladder 10. Because the elevators were out of service the company was forced to walk up to the 27th floor when he experienced difficulty. The others removed him to the lobby where he was worked on and then transported to a hospital. Lt Jan Tchoryk 55, was a 26 year member of the Chicago Fire Department.

Last edited:
God Bless Those Who Serve; and Those Who Mourn.
God Bless CFD Members and Families in Their Hour of Need. Amen.

I haven't talked to any of my contacts in CFD yet on this incident. The one question I do have is the personnel elevators were OOS. I am sure this building must have had a freight elevator of some kind to help move people and their belongings in and out of the building. I am no building engineer but wouldn.t that elevator be on a different service?

I haven't talked to any of my contacts in CFD yet on this incident. The one question I do have is the personnel elevators were OOS. I am sure this building must have had a freight elevator of some kind to help move people and their belongings in and out of the building. I am no building engineer but wouldn.t that elevator be on a different service?
Usually adjacent to other elevators- common elevator space in residential buildings to allow more rentable area. Also, likely has a common power source.

Usually adjacent to other elevators- common elevator space in residential buildings to allow more rentable area. Also, likely has a common power source.
I have seen freight elevators in commercial buildings that are distinctly removed from people ones and there is the same need for rentable space. But I suppose the real problem was this being a non-sprinkelered building.