ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

BC ROBERT A. STEHL BN*41.....ON 1-19-24 at 96 yrs of age....
REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
A welcoming face in BN*41.
Appointed September 1951, retired May 1991.
FF L170, Lt L168, Capt L172, BC Bn 41.
He was awarded the Fiorello H LaGuardia medal for a rescue on July 7, 1986 while working in Battalion 41...... His Son Marc RIP was in ENG*209.

Last edited:
^^^^^
Article from 1986 NY Times ..QUOTE.. Battalion Chief Robert A. Stehl of the 41st Battalion, at 2900 Snyder Avenue in Brooklyn, and Edward T. McCloskey, his aide, were on the way yesterday morning to supervise the repair work on a ruptured fuel pipe. While driving there, they were notified of a fire at 185 East 31st Street in Flatbush.

Flames were coming from a first-floor window. A woman was screaming for help. The two men rushed in. Firefighter McCloskey grabbed a small two-and-a-half-gallon extinguisher to keep the fire from spreading upstairs.

Chief Stehl found Mary Williams, 55 years old, semiconscious and badly burned. He broke a window to give them both air. Within minutes, Engine Company 240 arrived and put out the blaze, according to the fire department.

Ms. Williams was taken to Kings County Hospital, where she was in critical but stable condition.

Both Chief Stehl and Firefighter McCloskey were unharmed. But for the latter, there was a certain poignance about the experience. Thirty years ago, he courted his wife, Maureen, who lived upstairs in the same building.
A version of this article appears in print on July 18, 1986, Section B, Page 4 of the National edition with the headline: NEW YORK DAY BY DAY; Scene of Heroism, Scene of Romance. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe
Share full article..UNQUOTE.

Chief Stehl was one of the best in B 41, although he worked there after my years as an auxiliary at E 248 and as an aide to the aide with B 41. I remember Eddie McCloskey when he was a relief aide in B 41. He was assigned to L 157 and drove Chief John O'Neill when the regular aide, Paul McGrath, was on vacation. He ultimately became a full time aide.

Chief Stehl was one of the best in B 41, although he worked there after my years as an auxiliary at E 248 and as an aide to the aide with B 41. I remember Eddie McCloskey when he was a relief aide in B 41. He was assigned to L 157 and drove Chief John O'Neill when the regular aide, Paul McGrath, was on vacation. He ultimately became a full time aide.
Chief Stehl was always a gentleman and a pleasure to work for. R.I.P.

I had the honor of meeting Chief Stehl when I was a covering Captain, and fulling in a vacation spot in Engine 250 in the Midwood area of Brooklyn.
The area was very familiar to me as I was brought up in that area. Great firemen, great officers, and great Chiefs and Bob Stehl was one of the best.
Rest in God's Loving Hands Brother. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

RET FF FRANK PONDILLO.....

Rec'd this today.... .
Florida Suncoast Retirees is sad to announce the death of our member, Frank Pondillo.
Frank was appointed 1970 and retired in 1998.
He worked in E-256 until its disbanding and then transferred to E-207
Additional details will be forwarded when they become available. ...................

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....

Frank was 80 yrs of age....he used to post on here as "ponzi"........while in 207 his first Run driving the Super Pumper was to the 1977 Bushwick Tenth alarm.

^^^^^ RET FF FRANK PONDILLO Arrangements...

The services for Frank Pondillo will be as follows:

Visitation will be on Wednesday February 7th (times to follow) at:

Robert Toale & Sons Celebration of Life Center

4310 Solutions Lane

Bradenton, FL 34211

941-932-8100

Mass will be on Thursday February 8th (time to follow) at:

Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Church

12905 State Road 70 E,

Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202

On Thursday Feb. 8th FDNY Suncoast Florida Retirees will meet outside church and as a mark of respect please wear a white uniform shirt with your department's shoulder patch.

It is with deep sorrow the UFA announces the passing of FF Bob Beckwith of L164. Bob is one of the heroes of 9/11 who stood tall for America, New York City and all New Yorkers, he spent many hours searching for the members we lost on that fateful day in 2001. A man of true dignity and is beloved by the UFA and the department for all of his sacrifice. Bob was 90 years old.
God bless Bob, his family, and all the members who worked with him at Ladder 164 and Engine 313. May his memory never be forgotten.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 9
I am retired from active fire duty with the FDNY, but I still work for the FDNY, as a Peer Counselor for the Counseling Service Unit and FDNY World Trade Center Health Treatment Program. I therefore had the Honor of meeting a lot of the heroes' of 9/11 and the days, weeks and months that followed at the recovery at Ground Zero. Bob Beckwith was indeed one of them. A really nice guy easy to talk with a love for people and the "Job" He loved. Rest in Peace Bob and you will NEVER be forgotten. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired