ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

Arrangements for CPT Abruzzo (Reply # 558 above )....The arrangements for Capt. Joseph Abruzzo Ret. Lad. 132
Wagner Funeral Home
125 old Country Road
Hicksville N.Y.
516 935 7100
Viewing hours: Monday 3/21 7 P.M. -9 P.M.
Tuesday 3/22 2 P.M. - 4 P.M. 7 P.M - 9 P.M Mass 9:30 A.M. Wednesday Our Lady Queen Of Martyrs R.C. Church
Queens Blvd & Ascan Ave.
Forest Hills N.Y.
It will be an FDNY Funeral for Capt. Abruzzo, if possible if all members can be in FDNY uniform it would be greatly appreciated.

68jk09 said:
Arrangements for CPT Abruzzo (Reply # 558 above )....The arrangements for Capt. Joseph Abruzzo Ret. Lad. 132
Wagner Funeral Home
125 old Country Road
Hicksville N.Y.
516 935 7100
Viewing hours: Monday 3/21 7 P.M. -9 P.M.
Tuesday 3/22 2 P.M. - 4 P.M. 7 P.M - 9 P.M Mass 9:30 A.M. Wednesday Our Lady Queen Of Martyrs R.C. Church
Queens Blvd & Ascan Ave.
Forest Hills N.Y.
It will be an FDNY Funeral for Capt. Abruzzo, if possible if all members can be in FDNY uniform it would be greatly appreciated.

My condolences to the family and many members of this site who have lost their good friend, FDNY Captain Joesph Abruzzo, Ladder 132. During his illness many members here spoke very highly of Capt Abruzzo, who was often referred to as "Uncle Joe".

Captain Abruzzo, as well as all the other previous FDNY War Year Vets of these pages, will always be known for the work they did. Never has any other group of firefighters had to face such a staggering number of serious building fires, day after day, on such a routine basis. Each and every one of them facing the toughest conditions in the entire history of the fire service.

I did not know Captain Abruzzo or any other of the FDNY War Year Vets of these pages. But I can testify to the kind of work they faced. So many people owe so much for what these very brave firefighters did for them. They were always willing to offer me their help when I asked for it. At times they allowed me into their firehouse homes, where I saw for myself, the kind of work these firefighters did. Very often I went in curious and left to be astonished.

Thank you for your service to the City of New York.

May Captain Abruzzo and all the other FDNY War Year Vets of these pages "Rest in Peace".

Rest in Peace Cap. Thoughts and prayers for your family at home and for your extended  family on the job

Update from above for Joe Abruzzo...Funeral home is on "West" Old Country Road...... Burial will be at St John's on Metropolitan Av in Middle Village Qns.... http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Joseph-Abruzzo&lc=7328&pid=178128758&mid=6853712

RET FF STEPHEN P. ZIENIEWICZ E251.... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....Obit & arrangements...  http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsday/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=179410674

RET FDNY DC ANDREW KERZNER.....On 3-24-16 at 96 years old ....38 years OTJ...BC BN*34 ..DC DV*12....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY AIR CORP WW2) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Keep that smile going in Heaven......Services were already held..... Obit...  http://weigandbrothers.com/tribute/details/1286/Andrew-Kerzner/obituary.html#tribute-start

RET FDNY FF RICHARD PAGANI LAD*108....Just recd the sad news that Dick Pagani (aka The Jap) Passed To a Higher Level in NC this afternoon after several illness's including a recent leg amputation & resulting infection....a great all around War Years FF...Chauf...mechanic...teacher....friend & all around Good Guy......REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....no arrangements at this time.

68jk09 said:
RET FDNY FF RICHARD PAGANI LAD*108....Just recd the sad news that Dick Pagani (aka The Jap) Passed To a Higher Level in NC this afternoon after several illness's including a recent leg amputation & resulting infection....a great all around War Years FF...Chauf...mechanic...teacher....friend & all around Good Guy......REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....no arrangements at this time.

My condolences Chief on your loss of a Ladder Co 108 member. .

RET LT BILL PESEK LAD*165.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES...
Wake..
Saturday 4/9 and Sunday 4/10
2-4 and 7-9 pm

William E. Law Funeral Home
1 Jerusalem Avenue
Massapequa, NY 11758
(516) 541-8070

Funeral

Monday 4/11
10:45 am
Our Lady of Lourdes Church
855 Carmans Road
Massapequa, NY
(516) 541-3270

RET FDNY FF EDWARD BEACH....Received from Ed Beach's daughter,

> It is with deep regret that I write this email to you. Ed passed away
yesterday afternoon. His wishes were to be cremated without a
viewing/wake. The arrangements have been made for this Saturday at the
crematory.
>
> As you know it's been a difficult time for both Ed and mom's health.
Mom's started immunotherapy treatment, but has experienced some bumps
along the road. Once mom is stronger we plan to have a celebration of
Ed's life and will communicate the information once planned.
>
> He enjoyed his time in the FDNY where he made so many great friends
and was dedicated to the job. Especially his Safety Bn team.
>
> Best regards
> Emily Ed's daughter
REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES & FOR ED's WIFE ALSO BATTLING CANCER.

RET FDNY CPT PAUL KESTER ENG*291...Father of Ed also FDNY.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... Arrangements.. ...... www.mccourtandtrudden.org/book-of-memories/2472227/Kester-Paul/service-details.php

RET FDNY FF / WW2 VET  EDWIN "ED" CALLAN.....Ed was a USN WW2 Vet in both the Atlantic & Pacific Theaters.....After joining the FDNY in 1952 Ed worked in ENG*11 then on the Lower East Side ....when it was disbanded in 1959 the Unit formed the then short lived ENG*91-2 (not the later Fire War Years version) then when 91-2 was disbanded shortly after he went to ENG*294 where he worked until that was also disbanded (the first time) then he went to ENG*285 until he Retired in 1976 & ultimately moved to Fla...... Ed while in 91-2 worked in the same FH in Harlem on E 111 St for awhile in the late '50s that my Father in LAD*43 worked in ....after Ed transferred to the Queens Firehouse in my neighborhood i as a teenager & aspiring FF in 1961 used to go by there very often & hang out & talk to the FFs ...i found out that Ed had worked in Harlem before & that he knew my Father.... Ed was one of the friendliest guy's in that Firehouse & even several years later after i myself was on the FDNY i still saw Ed around the neighborhood from time to time....after he Retired & moved away i lost track until about a year & a half ago when a friend involved w/a Retirees group in Fla sent me some literature from them & one of the comments was from an Ed Callan ....i contacted my friend & asked him to find out if it was the same Ed from Engine 294 & it was...my friend gave Ed my e mail & we started corresponding & exchanging some old remembrances & i always forwarded Ed anything i received relative to the USN & of big Fires occurring in Woodhaven or Richmond Hill & we always exchanged many Patriotic things....last year in one of our back & forth messages Ed mentioned his Birthday was in April which was the same as mine....i guess i did not notice the lack of anything from him recently but today i sent him something & i was curious what exact date was his Birthday & it was "returned to sender" by the server then i realized i had not received anything from him for awhile....not sure how else to investigate i googled his name in Fla & sadly came up with this Obituary. from January ....REST IN PEACE TO A GREAT FF & A GREAT AMERICAN...THANK YOU FOR THE WW2 USN MILITARY SERVICE PERFORMED....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN....  http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bradenton/obituary.aspx?pid=177491908

68jk09 said:
RET FDNY FF / WW2 VET  EDWIN "ED" CALLAN.....Ed was a USN WW2 Vet in both the Atlantic & Pacific Theaters.....After joining the FDNY in 1952 Ed worked in ENG*11 then on the Lower East Side ....when it was disbanded in 1959 the Unit formed the then short lived ENG*91-2 (not the later Fire War Years version) then when 91-2 was disbanded shortly after he went to ENG*294 where he worked until that was also disbanded (the first time) then he went to ENG*285 until he Retired in 1976 & ultimately moved to Fla...... Ed while in 91-2 worked in the same FH in Harlem on E 111 St for awhile in the late '50s that my Father in LAD*43 worked in ....after Ed transferred to the Queens Firehouse in my neighborhood i as a teenager & aspiring FF in 1961 used to go by there very often & hang out & talk to the FFs ...i found out that Ed had worked in Harlem before & that he knew my Father.... Ed was one of the friendliest guy's in that Firehouse & even several years later after i myself was on the FDNY i still saw Ed around the neighborhood from time to time....after he Retired & moved away i lost track until about a year & a half ago when a friend involved w/a Retirees group in Fla sent me some literature from them & one of the comments was from an Ed Callan ....i contacted my friend & asked him to find out if it was the same Ed from Engine 294 & it was...my friend gave Ed my e mail & we started corresponding & exchanging some old remembrances & i always forwarded Ed anything i received relative to the USN & of big Fires occurring in Woodhaven or Richmond Hill & we always exchanged many Patriotic things....last year in one of our back & forth messages Ed mentioned his Birthday was in April which was the same as mine....i guess i did not notice the lack of anything from him recently but today i sent him something & i was curious what exact date was his Birthday & it was "returned to sender" by the server then i realized i had not received anything from him for awhile....not sure how else to investigate i googled his name in Fla & sadly came up with this Obituary. from January ....REST IN PEACE TO A GREAT FF & A GREAT AMERICAN...THANK YOU FOR THE WW2 USN MILITARY SERVICE PERFORMED....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN....  http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bradenton/obituary.aspx?pid=177491908

Chief JK, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I'm sure he went to many of the same fires that your father went to.

FF Callan was a Role Model, a Great American and an FDNY War Years Firefighter. 

68jk09 said:
Thanks for posting this Chief, I didn't realize that Ed had passed away. I'm very sorry to hear it.