ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RIP Ret FF John 'Cio' Ciorciari 216 Eng. Thoughts are with his family, friends and former colleagues in 216/108 at this time. For those of us who attend the annual 216/108 reunion there is a pic of FF Ciorciari on this link. Im sure we'll all know his face

http://www.papaverotributelink.com/guestbook/john-ciorciari

Ar dheis D? go raibh a anam

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Ret Capt John Vigiano. Very saddened to hear of Capt Vigianos passing after his lenghtly battle with cancer. No doubt his 2 boys will be there to great him. Thoughts are with his family, friends and the Dept Family at this time

Ar dheis D? go raibh a anam

Lovely words Chief K on both passings

May both of these fine gentlemen Rest in Peace. Prayers and condolences to their families and friends.

R.I.P. to Capt. Vig and condolences to His wife Jan. I can't say anything more than has already been said or posted.

Excellent post by Chief JK.

mack

Administrator
Very sorry for family and friends.  John Vigiano accomplished so much, gave so much, was respected so much and will be missed so much. 

Very sad to hear about the passing of CAPTAIN JOHN VIGIANO.
Chief those words were no doubt expressing how we all feel.
I will also miss those crazy nights during the war years waving to both you as we passed each other on Pennsylvania , Pitkin Ave ect.... IT'S HARD STAY STRONG

^^^^^^^^Captain John T. Vigiano arrangements:
Mangano Funeral Home
1701 Deer Park Avenue
Deer Park, NY 11729

Viewing:
Thursday and Friday
July 12 and July 13
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Mass of Christian Burial:
Saturday, July 14 at 10:15 AM
Saints Cyril & Methodius R.C. Church
125 Half Hollow Road
Deer Park, NY, US, 11729

www.manganofh.com/obituaries/John-Vigiano/#!/Obituary

^^^^^^^  https://twitter.com/NYPDSpecialops/status/1016116431036002304?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EVERY Name that I read on here represents "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters". The Greatest Generation of Firefighters, I have ever seen in my life. As a Buff, I followed them for years. I watched them work, I talked to them, they invited me to ride with them, and when I tell you; "These Guys were the GREATEST, they really were".

I have always considered myself to be a very lucky guy to be able to follow them and watch them work. Sometimes I was there twice a week, during these very busy years. None of them ever bragged about the amount of work they did or really how GREAT they were. But as a Buff, with an interest in what they did, I knew that and they didn't have to tell me.

As a Volunteer Firefighter, we learned so much from watching these guys. We never realized it at the time, BUT we were all getting an education that we couldn't get from a classroom or a book.

A few years later, many of us were lucky enough to become career firefighters and we all credit this group of the Worlds Greatest Firefighters for teaching us so much about the job. Many of my friends got promoted and became very respected officers within their own departments. And it all began because of a group of Firefighters and Officers of the FDNY that we HONOR here today.

Later in years, many of us got to meet and know some of these FDNY Firefighters who have since passed on.

We could NEVER pay them back for everything they've done for so many of us.

In one of the most recent postings here (Reply # 976), the Passing of Retired FF Joe "CIO" Ciorciari, Engine 216, I was privileged to get to meet him and talk to him for awhile. I know the kind of work he did because many times I saw Engine 216 at jobs I was buffing in Brooklyn. Maybe we even talked on the street years ago. But it sure was great to be able to talk to him the last two years when I got to meet him.

Of course another recent loss of the FDNY's Greatest Generation was Retired FDNY Captain John Vigiano. Although I never met him personally, I also spent time following Ladder Co 176, which Capt Vigiano was the Commanding Officer of. One of the busiest ladder companies in the city during those very busy War Years. 

Many of us of course remember the difficult days after 9/11 when we learned that Retired FDNY Capt Vigiano had lost his two sons. One a FDNY Firefighter and the other a NYPD Officer. Ironically, I've heard talk that his two son's were nicknamed "The Twin Towers".

For EVERY NAME posted here on this thread, there's a Special Story to tell of each individual during their careers as FDNY War Years Firefighters.

My condolences goes to retired Chief Jake K., "68jk09", on the recent loss of his two very good friends and Retired Brother Firefighters, Capt John Vigiano and FF Joe "CIO" Ciorciari. As well as to all the other members and friends who have suffered the loss of their Brother Firefighters and friends who served the City of New York during those very busy FDNY War Years.   

Rest in Peace Captain Vigiano. A true legend. Thoughts and prayers for your family at home and on the job.

^^^^^    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2002/04/30/a-hearts-ground-zero/2142c615-dc7c-410b-8d38-8ed3275163ca/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ac6597f60620

^^^^^^^  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-fdny-john-vigiano-20180708-story.html#

RET FF CLIFFORD BOENISCH ENG*45....REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... 
https://ssqfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/2189/Clifford-Boenisch/obituary.html#tribute-start

RET D.C. FIRE MARSHAL MICHAEL DiMARCO....  https://williamlawfh.com/tribute/details/394/Michael-DiMarco/obituary.html#tribute-start

RET FF LEWIS A. BENTIVEGNA.... On 7-8-18.....RET 7-5-82 after 20 yrs OTJ...... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/port-jefferson-station-ny/lewis-bentivegna-7907723

l

AS FAR AS JOHN VIGIANO ABOVE^^^^^THANK YOU TO POSTER "ladder2" FROM ANOTHER SITE.....1969 Medal Day Book:
Thomas F. Dougherty Medal awarded to:

Fireman 1st Grade John T. Vigiano Ladder Co. 103
Fire at 468 Berriman Street, Brooklyn. Box 7-5-1918, 2251 hours
December 28, 1968. 2 story Brick, 20 x 40 Class 3 P.D. (Building 3 stories in Rear)

0n arrival of L103, the cellar was fully involved, with an extremely heavy smoke and heat condition throughout the remainder of the building. After the initial size up, the officer in command of L103 requested a full first alarm assignment. Civilians at the scene reported a woman was in the 2nd floor of the building.
Fr. Vigiano had gained access to the roof of the fire building via an adjacent building and had completed preliminary roof ventilation, and was proceeding to ventilate at the rear While carrying out this task he heard a moan from within the building. He immediately lowered himself to the fire escape balcony with a short piece of rope he had been carrying with him. He forced a door to a rear bedroom and made a search, being forced to his hands and knees by the extreme conditions. Approximately 10 feet into the room he found a 65 year old woman in a semi-conscious state lying on the floor near a bed. He removed her to the rear balcony an started mouth to mouth resuscitation. While rendering this aid. Fr. Vigiano collapsed. Subsequently, both he and the victim were removed to the hospital. After initial treatment Fr. Vigiano was released. After returning to quarters to rest, he experienced chest pains, nausea and severe headaches. He was returned to the hospital where he remained overnight for observation It was later disclosed that the victim had a history of tuberculosis and Fr. Vigiano is now being watched to protect him from any possibility of contracting the disease.
This rescue was made under heavy smoke and heat conditions, prior to the use of handlines, and without the protection of a mask. In addition the woman was very heavy, and great exertion was required to effect her rescue by Fr. Vigiano. He showed initiative and determination under arduous circumstances and his aggressiveness undoubtedly saved the life of this person. He acted in the finest traditions of this great department.

1972 Medal Day Book:
Albert S. Johnston Medal awarded to:

Fireman 1st Grade John T. Vigiano Ladder Co. 103 (now Rescue 2)
Fire at 420 Williams Avenue, Brooklyn. Box 7-5-1720, 2115 hours,
April 9, 1971. 4 story N.F.P., Multiple Dwelling.

Upon arrival at the fire building, members of L103 set out performing their assigned duties. Fire had originated on the 2nd floor and had communicated to 3rd floor via ceiling and flooring. Flames were shooting out of 2nd floor windows and enveloping the fire escape on south side of building. Units attempting to gain access via interior were encountering difficulties due to intense heat and heavy volumes of smoke. No lines had been able-to penetrate and get above the fire. Members on roof were unable to descend fire escape due to flames, heat and smoke.
At this stage, Fireman Vigiano, the chauffeur of L103 and the last to leave the apparatus, noticed a woman at the 3rd floor window in an alley on the south side of the building. He immediately returned to the apparatus and removed a 35' portable ladder, and with the assistance of an auxiliary fireman raised it and placed it alongside the fire escape at the 3rd floor. By this time the woman had disappeared from the window. He quickly climbed the ladder to the 3rd floor balcony where he dashed aver the railing through the smoke and flame and entered the open window where he had seen the woman. Dropping on his stomach he began to crawl through the apartment searching for the woman. He located her in a hallway off the bathroom, in a highly emotional and disoriented state. Dragging and carrying her, he returned to the window. Using his body as a shield from the heat and flames, he got her on the ladder and guided her down to the street. There she told him that her brother was still in the apartment. Although near exhaustion from exertion and the effects of the heat and smoke, Vigianao again climbed to the 3rd floor and despite the worsened conditions, re-entered the apartment to search for the brother.
Crawling through the apartment he finally located the brother in a hallway leading to the interior of the building. He then dragged him through the intense heat and smoke, back to the window. There be carried him out the window to the ladder and then down to the street, again using his body and protective clothing to protect the boy from the heat.
As a result of his actions Fireman Vigiano was later hospitalized and treated for Carbon Monoxide poisoning. His unbelievable courage, in singlehandedly rescuing these two people who were trapped in their apartment, is deserving of the highest praise. His unselfish devotion to duty was of the highest order and in the best traditions of this department.

1979 Medal Day Book:
Thomas A. Kenny Memorial Medal awarded to:

Lieutenant JOHN T. VlGlANO Rescue Company 2
Fire at 70 Clermont Avenue, Brooklyn
Box 75-385,0100 hours, October 27, 1978
Four story, 20'x40?, Frame Private Dwelling

Arriving at the fire scene, Lieutenant John T. Vigiano and members of R2 observed that fire had full possession of the front bedroom and hall of the 4th floor. Occupants of the dwelling yelled to Lieutenant Vigiano that an elderly woman was trapped upstairs at the attic floor level. R2 members were ordered by the lieutenant to assume the duties of the first arriving ladder company and ascended the stairs to the third floor. He also tried to determine in which room the victim was located. Informed there was no fire escape in the rear of the building, Lieutenant Vigiano requested, via. Handi-Talki, that a roof rope be taken to the roof for an attempted rescue from that point. Moving to the top of the attic stairs with the can man, they encountered severe heat. The door to the fire room had been burnt away. At this moment, Fireman Sullivan dragged a victim to the stairs. Assisting them down the stairs, Fireman Sullivan informed Lieutenant Vigiano that there was another victim in the room.
A second extinguisher was brought up to the fire floor. Lieutenant Vigiano crawled into the back room under the protection of the second extinguisher. Crawling on his stomach, he made his way across the bedroom to the window on the far side. There he discovered the unconscious victim, wedged between the bed and the wall. The room was crowded with furniture, therefore it was difficult to maneuver around the bed. Lieutenant Vigiano was forced to pull the lifeless body up onto the bed and drag her across it onto the floor. Fire had full possession of the front room, interior hall, and was burning across the ceiling of the rear bedroom. Burning paint was I dropping and igniting the mattress in the room.
Lieutenant Vigiano dragged the unconscious and non-breathing, severely burned victim to the stairs. Then other members assisted them down to the third floor. He immediately began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation until a resuscitator was placed in operation.
Lieutenant Vigiano acted in a manner which is in keeping with the highest traditions of the Fire Department. If not for his courageous act, this victim would have perished

1981 Medal Day Book:
Thomas A. Kenny Memorial Medal awarded to:

Lieutenant JOHN T. VlGlANO Rescue Company 2

Brooklyn's R2 was returning to its quarters after operating at a fire when the dispatcher announced via the Department radio, that an alarm of fire was being transmitted for a 4 story brick apartment house at 713 Lafayette Avenue. The dispatcher finished his message advising that a full first alarm assignment (3 engines and 2 ladders) would be rolling in to the scene due to the numerous phone calls received at the Communications Center. As he signed off announcing the time at 2125 hrs., Lieutenant John T. Vigiano radioed his units availability since he was only two blocks from the fire scene. "Take it in" came the terse reply. As R2 rolled into the block, members observed a heavy fire condition on the third floor with possible extension to the fourth floor. Instructing his unit to function as the first arriving ladder company, Lieutenant Vigiano raced to the third floor, where a dazed resident informed the rescue officer that people were trapped on the fourth floor.
Fire was now showing at 4 front windows, the roof had not been vented, and without any engine company's at the scene affording the luxury of a hose line to back up his rescue efforts, Lieutenant Vigiano knew he had to act quickly to reach any victims. While donning the facepiece to his mask, he reached the fourth floor landing, where intense smoke and heat drove him to a crawling position. Upon entering the apartment, he crawled down a long hallway, stopping occasionally to listen for cries of help. Half way down the hall, he heard the anguished pleas for rescue. Temporary renovations to the apartment slowed the rescue attempt. After doubling back from the kitchen, he found the opening to the front bedroom just as the victim, Lincoln Dawkins, cried out one more time. Near exhaustion from searching four other rooms prior to locating the victim, Vigiano now had to remove the semi-conscious victim. While dragging him from the apartment, he stopped a few times to administer air from his own mask.
At one point, the victim, barely audible, informed the rescue officer that his mother was in the front of the bedroom. Vigiano took Dawkins to the hallway and headed back to the bedroom in search of the mother. Fire had gained complete control of the thud floor and blew in the windows of the bedroom on the fourth floor, cutting the lieutenant. Fire now was spreading in his locale and an urgent message from Chief James Duffy (B57) advised him that all residents had been accounted for, and ordered a hasty retreat. Fire was now gaining headway on the fourth floor and as Lieutenant Vigiano made his exit, members of Engine Companies 209 and 217 were moving a hoseline into position to extinguish the blaze.
For Mr. Dawkins and the residents on the fourth floor, it was fortunate indeed that R2 was in such close proximity to the building as the fire broke out.
R2 has a long and glorious history of heroism. Lieutenant Vigiano added another remarkable feat to its already outstanding record. It is interesting to note that Lieutenant Vigiano's son, Joseph, was recently awarded one of the Boy Scouts of America highest awards for heroism. The youngster saved three lives last summer in Clearwater, Florida. As young Joseph looks on today, he will watch his father honored for his valiant actions. Whoever first called New York's Firefighters-"The Bravest"-had to be thinking of men like Lieutenant John T. Vigiano of R2.
..................................................John had received the Thomas A. Kenny on two separate Medal Days.

A Thank You to SCPD for controlling traffic on very busy Route231/Deer Park Ave & allowing groups to safely cross directly from the parking lot to the Funeral Parlor to & from the Wake.

A Thank You to all those who attended John's Funeral & especially His Grandchildren who presented their Eulogy detailing their Love & Caring for John....also Thanks to Sal Cassano....& R*2 FF / US Marine Jason Brezler.....& LT George Guinan LAD*176 who delivered their Eulogies....The FDNY Ceremonial Unit....the Emerald Pipes & Drums....The USMC Ceremonial Unit .....The NYPD ....The SCPD ....ENG*233/LAD*176/FieldCommUnit for their work at the Coalition .....The Deer Park community ...& those that helped behind the scenes ...i KNOW John was impressed.....in addition to the many old faces that travelled long distances to attend i must single out one not for the distance travelled to get there but for the distance travelled in life....RET FF Sweeney LAD*170 who entered the USMC in the late '40s & Served in the Korean War & now in his '90s was in attendance responding pushing his walker to Honor John..SEMPER FI....          https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/fdny-captain-who-lost-both-sons-on-9-11-laid-to-rest/