ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET DC RICHARD FANNING.....
On 1-7-22 at home in Pawleys Island SC after a long illness..... Appt 1968 ..RET 1999 after 31 yrs OTJ.....Rich was a NYC Transit Cop (pre merger) then Appt to LAD*19 (old Qtrs)......LT ENG*255...... Commisioner's Exec Assistant to FC Spinatto (Rich always looked out for the guys there)....CPT ENG*219.....BC BN*44....BC BN*48....DC DV*3..... thru all the years Rich was a vocal presence from the floor at UFA & UFOA Meetings.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER ....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....Goodby to a Friend & true FDNY'er. ...(no arrangements yet)

It saddens me to read of these FDNY War Years Firefighters passing on.

They represent what I consider to be "The Greatest Generations of Firefighters to ever live".
They proved themselves over and over again, many times on a daily basis, as they threw themselves in danger over and over again to save others.

It was all about doing their very dangerous job and putting others lives above their own.

I learned from them and I totally respected them for the job they did.

I know that many of you have lost many of your personnel friends and Brother Firefighters.
For that my sincere condolences to you.

I am very Thankful that I got to spend time with so many of those we have lost.

I can only tell you that as a buff, who was treated so good by so many, "I sometimes feel that I share that loss along with you as well".

Rest In Peace, Chief. The Lord's Comfort for your family at home and on the job. Your's was one of the stories in the book "Braving the Flames". Thank you for your story.

mack

Administrator
Thumbnail.png
Richard J. Fanning

Obituary​

Richard J. Fanning, 77, of Pawleys Island passed away Friday, January 7, 2022 at his home just a few days shy of his 78th birthday.
Rich, born and raised in the Yorkville section of Manhattan, was the eldest son of Joseph and Vera Fanning. He married his high school sweetheart, Anita Wright, in 1965 and lived in The Bronx, NY, before relocating the family to Rockaway Beach, Queens. Their affinity of living near the ocean never left them as they also called Silver Beach, VA, Bluffton, SC and Pawleys Island, SC their home. His one regret was not moving to Pawleys Island sooner.
Rich began his life of public service as a NYC Transit Police Officer in 1966 and in 1968 his childhood dream of becoming a NYC firefighter was realized. He worked in the South Bronx before getting the first of many promotions through the ranks. Having served in Brooklyn and Manhattan, he retired in 1999 as a Deputy Chief covering Midtown Manhattan, having earned a reputation for bravery, loyalty and fairness as a leader. He volunteered briefly following the chaos of 9/11 to help his fellow FDNY brothers and sisters.
As a dedicated family man, he spent much of his free time with Anita, children and eventually grandchildren. He had a cornucopia of friends that he cared for and often surprised them, and sometimes complete strangers, with gifts and tokens of appreciation. He was rarely seen without a smile or a kind word and everyone he met quickly became a friend. He was a true humanitarian.
Richard is survived by his wife of 56 years, Anita, son Michael, wife Donna, of Pawleys Island and daughter, Karen McGlade, husband Thomas, of Carmel, NY. Grandchildren are Kevin, Edward, Christopher, and Brenna. Also survived by loving siblings Dennis, Timothy, Veronica, Margaret, and Joseph. He also held a special place in his heart for his many nieces and nephews.
Viewing will be held at Burroughs Funeral Home on Friday, January 14, 2022 from 4-7 PM. Funeral will be held on Saturday, January 15, 2022 at Precious Blood of Christ Church at 1 PM.

RIP Chief.

In regard to AC George Willett reply # 1921 above..... Thanks to Ladder2....
ladder2 said:
AC Willett was appointed 6/1/1947 (with an equated date to 2/1/1944 due to military service).
FF in L34 (& maybe L30?), Lt in L25, Capt in L30
BC in B12 (1960-64) & B11 (1964-65)
DC (promoted 1965), spent year at BOT & later assigned to D7 (1967 to 1976)
Promoted to DAC in 1976
Was SI Borough Commander & was IC at the Port Mobil fire in 1979 (WNYF 4-79).
Retired 8-15-1988 as a 4-star Chief of Support Services (28 years as a Chief Officer).
He was allowed to work past superannuation for 1 year, probably one of the last members to be extended.

View attachment 16077
Richard J. Fanning

Obituary​

Richard J. Fanning, 77, of Pawleys Island passed away Friday, January 7, 2022 at his home just a few days shy of his 78th birthday.
Rich, born and raised in the Yorkville section of Manhattan, was the eldest son of Joseph and Vera Fanning. He married his high school sweetheart, Anita Wright, in 1965 and lived in The Bronx, NY, before relocating the family to Rockaway Beach, Queens. Their affinity of living near the ocean never left them as they also called Silver Beach, VA, Bluffton, SC and Pawleys Island, SC their home. His one regret was not moving to Pawleys Island sooner.
Rich began his life of public service as a NYC Transit Police Officer in 1966 and in 1968 his childhood dream of becoming a NYC firefighter was realized. He worked in the South Bronx before getting the first of many promotions through the ranks. Having served in Brooklyn and Manhattan, he retired in 1999 as a Deputy Chief covering Midtown Manhattan, having earned a reputation for bravery, loyalty and fairness as a leader. He volunteered briefly following the chaos of 9/11 to help his fellow FDNY brothers and sisters.
As a dedicated family man, he spent much of his free time with Anita, children and eventually grandchildren. He had a cornucopia of friends that he cared for and often surprised them, and sometimes complete strangers, with gifts and tokens of appreciation. He was rarely seen without a smile or a kind word and everyone he met quickly became a friend. He was a true humanitarian.
Richard is survived by his wife of 56 years, Anita, son Michael, wife Donna, of Pawleys Island and daughter, Karen McGlade, husband Thomas, of Carmel, NY. Grandchildren are Kevin, Edward, Christopher, and Brenna. Also survived by loving siblings Dennis, Timothy, Veronica, Margaret, and Joseph. He also held a special place in his heart for his many nieces and nephews.
Viewing will be held at Burroughs Funeral Home on Friday, January 14, 2022 from 4-7 PM. Funeral will be held on Saturday, January 15, 2022 at Precious Blood of Christ Church at 1 PM.

RIP Chief.
RIP Chief

RET FF JOHN F. DURKIN LAD*147. ......
On 9-14-21 at 83 yrs of age......RET 10-3-85 after 22 yrs OTJ...REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Viewing/ Visitation: Raynor & D’Andrea FH
245 Main Street
West Sayville, NY
Friday. 9/17 2-4:30 & 7-9:30
Funeral Mass: St. Lawrence the Martyr
240 West Main St.
Sayville, NY
Saturday: 9/18. 9:45

PHOTO
www.raynordandrea.com/obituary/Jack-Durkin
Great senior man and Chauffeur. Lt Pudgie Walsh's Chauffeur